MBA battery doesn't require calibrating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by petrucci666, Sep 12, 2011.

1. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

I read on the Apple Support page that 'these batteries are pre-calibrated' and do not require the same calibration procedures that notebooks with removable batteries do.

What do you guys have to say about that?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That just means they did it at the factory. It will still benefit from calibration on occasion just as the rest of the models do.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

One less calibration for you to do. I don't see what the point of this thread is, since you will likely still need to calibrate at some point if you use the battery at all.

4. erasr macrumors 6502

How many 'ordinary' people owning a Mac would think or know how to calibrate their battery...

I know two friends who won't have a clue about this process.

So, I believe it's not necessary. And yes Apple even say so. Pretty sure that body of text on their website means this. They wouldn't mince their words and it's a clear indication there's no need for it.

Think it's just a bit of OCD again tbh.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Yeah, apparently you don't need to calibrate... ever.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'm in this boat as well and am curious as to people's motivations; not to be judgmental or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

My approach to laptop batteries is I just use the laptop. I don't leave it plugged in for weeks at a time; I run the battery down every so often on a schedule governed by my thinking "gee, I haven't run the battery low for a while"

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Calibration has nothing to do with battery health, which is the #1 reason people seem to think they need to cycle their battery. Calibration references the battery reading in the menu bar to the actual power level remaining, so instead of entering sleep at 10% remaining it will enter sleep at 0% remaining.

9. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Calibration isn't that important anyway. The only thing it does is making the battery display accurate, it doesn't affect how long the battery lasts. If your battery is fully charged, it will last exactly the same time, whether it is calibrated or not. If it is calibrated, the display will go from 100% when you just unplug the charger to 0% where the MacBook turns itself off. If it is not calibrated, it may display different numbers. The warning when the battery is down to 10% may come a bit earlier or later. But the battery will last exactly the same time.

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification.