MBA in clamshell after being on standby, CPU temps reaching 90C

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by palebluedot, Apr 26, 2012.

1. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Does anyone else have the problem where your MBA CPU goes crazy when it is in clamshell mode after being used normal, put to sleep, then plugged into an external monitor and woken up in Clamshell? Usually my CPU gets to 90C when I do this. If I put it back to sleep and wake it back up it is fine. This seems to be a bug on Lion, this is with an MBA 2011.

I searched around MRumors for a thread on the subject and couldn't find one, found one on a few other sites. Was wondering if anyone else is having this problem and if anyone has found a more elegant solution than having to resleep the computer.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There's a simple solution: Stop worrying.

There is another possibility: Some badly programmed applications that do something let's say every second can't figure out properly that they have been asleep. If such an app is woken up after three hours it will do 3 hours worth of these operations. Maybe that's what's happening? Use Activity Monitor to find out.

3. calvol macrumors 6502a

Yes, check Activity Monitor > CPU to see what's eating up the CPU cycles. Does it settle down after a while? I run a 2010 13" Air in clamshell with a Dell 21.5" monitor, with no problem, temps between 50-60C (Snow Leopard).