Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaseardoin7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
I have to admit, even though i ordered my MBA right after steve's keynote 2 weeks ago, i was later scared when i found out that the MBA only had one mono speaker.

well....

i just got off work and was able to open up my MBA.
this thing is AMAZING. the only thing i had second thoughts
about (the speaker) has proven to still work very well.

Proud MBA User.
Chase :apple:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
That's good to know. It was something I was also concerned about. A good single speaker would be fine for web & YouTube (podcasts too), then switch to headsets/earbuds for serious listening. A weak & tinny speaker would be very out of place, given the rest of what looks to be a beautifully designed machine (have to say "looks" - haven't seen one in person, yet).

hokullani

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
The mono speaker kind of scares me also, but i'm sure they figured out a way to make it sound like it was two, i mean look at the iphone it's just one speaker but it sounds fine when i listen to it i can't even tell.

chaseardoin7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
The mono speaker kind of scares me also, but i'm sure they figured out a way to make it sound like it was two, i mean look at the iphone it's just one speaker but it sounds fine when i listen to it i can't even tell.

yes. i'm very suprised at the single speakers amazing quality.
i've been listening to my music in iTunes on it all morning and
continue to be amazed.

chase :apple:

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
the quality from the speaker is fine. Only thing that sounds different is that the sound only comes from the right side. im sure its due to limitations, but it would have sounded better in the center.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I was also concerned about the mono speaker. I am extremely pleased with it. We all know how Jobs is when it comes to details, especially sound. The mono speaker sounds very good, don't worry about it.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
i agree, not much to be concerned about. It isnt distorted like the iphones

I was also concerned about the mono speaker. I am extremely pleased with it. We all know how Jobs is when it comes to details, especially sound. The mono speaker sounds very good, don't worry about it.

instant hit

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2008
don't quite understand the concern over it. i mean, the mac pro has a built-in mono speaker yet it also has analog and digital inputs/outputs. sounds great for passing system notification sounds, though.

now, if the air came sans speakers, that would be cause for alarm.

uber gorilla

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
On the topic...

Speaking of speakers/sound etc, I'm just wondering about the implications of plugging external speakers into the headphone port of the MBA... will this affect the sound quality, rather than plugging the speakers into a better audio-out port on another laptop?

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
I was actually shocked to hear the quality of my MBA's speaker yesterday. After one review (either Gizmodo or Engadget I think) stating the speaker sounded "weird" , I was a bit worried. But I am thrilled that the speaker is fine, and much better than I anticipated. For music, I would suggest external speakers (just like any laptop really), but for overall use, it is surprisingly good!

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Yes i too was worried. I think the weirdness is that the sound just comes from the right where as we are used to hearing sound from both sides.

I was actually shocked to hear the quality of my MBA's speaker yesterday. After one review (either Gizmodo or Engadget I think) stating the speaker sounded "weird" , I was a bit worried. But I am thrilled that the speaker is fine, and much better than I anticipated. For music, I would suggest external speakers (just like any laptop really), but for overall use, it is surprisingly good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.