MBA now or wait for Oct 22 event

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by CaesarLeon, Oct 9, 2013.

  1. CaesarLeon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    #1
    If I would like to upgrade from a 2011 MBP to the 2013 base MBA 13', is there any reason to wait until Oct 22 (OSX Mavericks included) ?

    Thanks
     
  2. abz1981 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    #2
    No reason at all unless you really want the Maverick OS free of charge. If you really need a new MBA right now, go for it. If not then just wait a few more weeks.
     
  3. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
  4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

    nepalisherpa

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    What are you looking to get out from the upgrade? I upgraded from mid-2010 MBP to current 11" MBA and I am very happy. It performs better than the MBP I had, and with an amazing battery life. I am a moderate Photoshop user, slowly getting into XCode, and a heavy internet browser, so, to me, this MBA is perfect.
     
  5. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
  6. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    #7
    do you need it now? get it now.
    can you wait? wait.

    is a free OS the only reason you are waiting?
    in the past apple has generally given free upgrades to people who purchase within the 2 weeks before an update. they do this chiefly to avoid people returning just to turn around and buy a new device solely for the upgraded OS.

    So, if you think Mav is coming out Oct 22, then you could purchase any time and likely get the upgrade...
     
  7. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2010
  8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #9
    Buy. Mba was recently updated, and OSX is always free several months back from the release date with bought machines.
     
  9. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #10
    Why would you want to wait???

    Buy it now and enjoy a few weeks use on Mountain Lion.

    When apple releases Mavericks they will have an up to date program which will allow anyone who purchased a mac in the last ~30 days to upgrade for free, so there is no sense in waiting.

    Anyone suggesting to wait does not know what they are talking about. What possible reason is there to wait until the 22nd to buy??
     
  10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #11
    If you need it, buy now; if you merely want it, I would suggest that you wait.
     
  11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #12
    what benefit is he going to get from waiting? Why would you suggest that someone wait when they could enjoy the computer for 2 weeks and lose nothing???
     
  12. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

    BenTrovato

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2012
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    I would just make sure you get the Mavericks update for free, otherwise buy now if you need it.
     
  13. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

    xxBURT0Nxx

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2009
    #14
    He can't "make sure" because apple is not going to release the details of the up to date program until mavericks is released.

    If it comes out on the 22nd, he will be covered.
     
  14. ABC5S macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    Florida
    #15
    It's only 12 days. What is the hurry ? I'm waiting to see what develops. Nothing or something.
     
  15. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

    cedwhatev

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2011
    Location:
    Canada
  16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #17
    Go for it now. Mavericks has already gone GM. If Mavericks is not free it will be for people who purchase Macs less than two weeks before it's publicly available.
     
  17. teleromeo macrumors 65816

    teleromeo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    kidnapped by aliens
    #18
    What makes you think you need to upgrade your 2 year old machine ?
     
  18. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

    Crazy Badger

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    Scotland
    #19
    Not unless you might prefer to upgrade to another r/MBP :rolleyes:
     
  19. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2009
    #20
    that's nonsense. if you don't need something right now then that alone is a "possible reason" to wait.

    Maybe his 2 year old machine is perfectly adequate and the new iPads will be attractive enough that he can just get one of those and wait for the next cycle of Airs or Pros.

    Maybe they announce that Mav is coming out in December.
    Maybe there are any number of reasons why waiting wouldn't be a bad idea. In fact, when it comes to a purchase like this I can't think of a single reason to wait other than the fact that you simply can't (or just don't want to).
     
  20. AXs macrumors 6502a

    AXs

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2009
    #21
    You should wait to see what happens with the retina macbook pro 13".

    Seems like it would be a better buy.

    Check Macrumors frontpage- it seems next year the Air will get a redesign which includes a retina level display.

    Still a great machine, I love the 12 hours of battery and most importantly how thin it is... but the screen isn't even hd.
     
  21. Astrofox macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2011
    #22
    I agree I would wait, unless he wants portability. MBA is the best actual "lap top" computer ever... rMBP is still a tad big. That screen though.
     
  22. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

    Sandman1969

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #23
    How far back do they typically give out the free upgrade to the OS?

    Not that they charge that much for it anyway.
     
  23. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #24
    With Mountain Lion it was six weeks. Nothing has been announced yet for Mavs.
     
  24. CaesarLeon thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2010
    #25
    Why did you choose the 11" MBA over the 13" ?

    @All would you suggest me to get an 11" MBA + external monitor, or just the 13" MBA as base machine?
     

Share This Page