Mba Or Mb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 08mxkfx, Feb 1, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I would really like to get a mac book air because of the size but i debating between a MBA 1.8ghz with the 80gb hd or a MB 2.2ghz with 120gb hd and 4gb ram? They will be about the price but how would they compare? I store all of my songs on a external hard drive but i use PS3 and Dreamweaver alot and Adobe Premiere Pro every once in while and of coarse browse the internet and listen to music. How would these suit me? I dont really have the money for a MBP and it would be alittle to big for traveling so out of a MBA or MB what would you recommend for me?
    Thanks

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Do you have another Mac in the house like an iMac or Mac Pro?

If so, get the MBA for light traveling with some of your work in tow.

If not, get the MB so you can have more horse power for all your work.

3. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Is this going to be you're main computer? If so then I don't think the MBA is suitable. For what you're doing (video editing and web design) a MBP or iMac is better. Given your options the MB would be better.

The MBA seems to be better for those who have a main desktop and will just use it as a portable only.

4. tuneman07 macrumors regular

Basically you are paying a premium for the look, the thinness, and the weight. You are dropping some features and performance for this as well. If you don't mind paying that premium then go for it, otherwise take the Macbook. I personally believe the initial expensive cost is not worth it as that 2 lbs and quarter inch isn't a big deal for me.

5. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

DON'T use the MBA as your main or only computer. It's an accessory; it's not fit to be your main machine.

6. kabunaru Guest

MacBook vs MacBook Air
    MacBook would suit you best out of those two. :)

7. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Well the main computer i do the bulk of my work on is a pc which suits me well for a main computer but i was looking for something i can use while on the go but i think i can get a better laptop if i go for a MB and for cheaper and only sacrifice a little bit in size.

8. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not a bad chart.

FYI, not that I think you need to add it to your chart, but the (physical) Apple stores also stock a black MacBook 2GB RAM/160GB model for $1649. Same price as upgrading the RAM as a BTO via the on-line store.

And the 2.6GHz option is available for the 15" MBP as well as the 17" (your chart says 17" only).

11. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Good catch, chart updated.

12. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

The MacBook sounds like it would be the best fit for you, but do not buy the extra RAM from Apple, by 3rd party and install it yourself. As others have said before, the MBA is meant as an accessory, not a main computer.

13. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I would agree with that except in a few circumstances. E.g. a journalist would be a perfect user for the MBA.

14. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

MB for sure ... not as light, cheaper, faster, upgradable. yada yada yada.

15. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

ok im probably going to pick up a macbook monday then. I plan on only getting it with 1gb ram then upgrading to 4gb myself. Where is a good place to buy 4gb ram from?

16. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Instead of going to apple and get it where could I get it online for cheaper and not have to pay tax? I want 2.2ghz MacBook 1gb and 120 gb hd.

17. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Amazon.com or MacMall

18. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not sure if you have an Apple Store near you, but the stores stock a 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM model for $150 over the 1GB model. Its 2GB from the factory, not a 1GB model that the store upgrades after you buy it. Basically its the same price as configuring it BTO through the online Apple store.

19. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I just went with a BlackBook for my ultra-portable. I have it for a couple days and I love it. Wish I hadn't of waited so long.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

MBA = Internet, email, word processing, etc.
    MB = All the above including web development, graphics, etc.

It all depends on what you want to do. To be honest, if you're going to using programs such as PhotoShop I would go with the MB because you're not going to enjoy the resource restraint on the MBA. I use PhotoShop a lot and I'm very happy using it on my MB.

Good luck.

21. djellison macrumors 68020

MB. the MBA has no firewire port with which to capture footage into Premiere.

22. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

bite the bullet and spend the extra $200 on a macbook pro.

23. rsm5068 macrumors regular

I concur. No laptop is designed to be a super awesome video editor, and definitely not the MBA or MB. If you really need the Horse Power go MBP for just a little bit more. If you aren't but still want to use PS in a semi-hardcore setting go MB. And if you have an iMac or better sitting at home go MBA for portability. The MBA will handle most PS tasks well as long as you stay within the general size range and don't try producing anything like a Fathead. I am a proponent of the MBA but I also understand its limitations. Oh and remember: Under no circumstance (other than the Mac being paid for by someone who isn't you) buy RAM from Apple!

24. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Well my current computer that i do all my work on now is running this- Intel Pentium 4 3.40ghz 1gb of ram PC

How would a 2.2ghz Intel Core Duo MB with 4gb of ram compare to that?
    Also does this guy seem legit?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-FACTO...yZ140064QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ive been looking through his feedback and he does have some disputes but nothing about the product being broken or that they never received it. Just seems he is alittle slow on shipping. But his prices almost seem too good to be true.