MBA Regret

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dsteller, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dsteller macrumors member

I got my new 2013 MBA 13" 8gb i7 128gb, but after being away for a month, have started to regret getting a MBA. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a way to figure out whether I made the right choice. I know the computer is perfect for me, but I can't seem to figure out whether I made the right choice over a MBP or MBPr. Please help.

2. Ifti macrumors 68000

3. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

Sorry but at this point your post makes no sense whatsoever.

But beyond that, you are contradicting yourself constantly in the 2 sentences. You say you regret it. Then It is perfect for you. Then you want others to tell you if YOU regret it. Then you are pondering whether the Pro is better.

Please help clarify.

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

The problem is you paid too much because you upgraded to the i7. That said i pref the air strictly because its more portable and the battery life is far superior

5. SchodMC macrumors member

Seriously? He's not thinking about whether the i5 would be the better choice. His question is, whether he should go for the MBP / rMBP. So - please no other i5 vs. i7 flame war here! :cool:

But BTT: if you say "the MBA is perfect for you", what's your problem at this point? What can a MBP / rMBP do for you that the MBA won't do?

cu
    SchodMC

6. fark macrumors regular

7. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

I'm a high schooler, I use it for school stuff, video editing photo editing, gaming, and I code.

The point of this wasn't to say whether I'm going to go pro I'm keeping the Air. I made this to see if other people get this feeling.

8. newdeal macrumors 68020

I am just saying the only reason he regrets the decision is because his air was too close in price to the rMBP. Had he saved the $150 for the i7 which would be likely unnoticable he may not regret it as the price gap would be larger

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Man, you've got to stop torturing yourself. It sounds like you made a decision and now can't help but keep thinking it was the wrong one. But from your needs and the list of computers you narrowed your choices down to you really couldn't make a bad decision. Forget that the rMBP and cMBP even exist for now and enjoy your MBA. Focus on the work you will be doing and not the tool which will fade into the background once school starts.

10. silvershamrock macrumors member

Does the MBA do what you need it to do? If so, then you made a good (enough) decision. If not, then you've got the choice of either making do with it, or selling it and getting a different computer that _will_ do what you want.

Simple.... :D

(PS - a little bit of buyers remorse is normal after any kind of major purchase... people can start to second-guess the decision they made, whether the decision was a good one or not. Having a few doubts after the fact does not prove you made a mistake. The only thing that could prove you made a mistake is discovering that your purchase does not meet your needs. And you are the only person who gets a vote on that point.)

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Buyers remorse is not unusual. Especially when you make big purchases. You have to be confident in yourself and in that you considered your options before you purchased.

Its only a laptop. When you get a car, a house, or get married :eek: buyers remorse is a bit more of a problem. Do your homework, consider your options, decide, and don't second guess yourself.

And congrats on getting the i7. You got the most powerful MBA that can be had. You wont wonder what it could have been had you gotten the i5. Good job! ;)

12. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

High School use?. The haswell Air is more than plenty for HighSchool.

Not sure what photo editing and video editing you are doing at this age, must be a personal hobby either way. There are some professionals using the air for photo and video editing. They seem to get by just fine.

Not everybody your age gets an Apple Product. If I were you I would be ecstatic that my parents bought me a macbook, rather than sad that it may not be as 'cool' as the Retina Pro.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'm not sure this generalization is appropriate or accurate. Ones participation in high school doesn't mean one doesn't need or want a more powerful computer. The applications that benefit from more computing power are not restricted to college or professional use.

14. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

Can you come to the table with a more worked out question. We can't answer questions on your "regret". I mean nobody but you can, and even then it's a private thing.

15. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the feedback! I feel that over time it will settle in. I was away from my computer for about a month. Over that month I was around a bunch of MBPr and MBPs and started to second guess.

I do photoshop and premiere for my editing softwares.

As for the "being spoiled" comments. I purchased this computer with my own money, and after spending all of my money on this, I started to second guess myself.

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

My i7 MBA runs circles around my 2010 MBP. No regrets here. :D

17. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

Definitely understandable! I purchased my first PC back when I was a freshman in college and it was $1,200 of my own money. I remember that feeling well.. not everyone relies on daddy's money!

18. Mrbobb macrumors 601

The adults call it COLD FEET.

Wait until u sign on that dotted line that says now you owe the bank $200,000.

Anywhoo, 30 days, beyond return period, is a done deal.

I have a personal rule, I don't spend any time on stuff I don't have control/no longer have control over. It's wasted emotion energy that I can use on something more productive instead.

19. collinmac macrumors member

I've gone through the same scenario a few times. I finally settled on the MBA after going through my needs/wants.

I love the extended battery life, for my gaming i use a desktop, but for light gaming i can still use the air for that.

Size and weight are freaking awesome, perfect for working on the plane as well.

20. Dsteller thread starter macrumors member

As I said the new Air is perfect.... All day battery life, good for editing, perfect for a student like me.

It feels good to have saved up and done this all by myself... No daddy's money.

I believe over the next few weeks I'll learn to love it as I did before I left.

21. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    with Haswell processor, HD5000 graphics and PCIe flash storage you have a pretty darned fast Mac.
    in another month or so the Haswell rMBP will be released.
    if your buyer's remorse still remains by then, whack your Air on ebay, take a $ hit and then get yourself a rMBP.
    I suspect though by then you'll be totally adjusted to your Air for another 3 years … :cool:

22. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

need and want are not the same.
    It isn't a hasty generalization at all. Highschool work are the least demanding work/task one would need their respective computer(s) to perform, irrespective of the few exceptions that may exist in special cases.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You may not want to call it hasty, but a generalization nonetheless. Try not to be so judgmental and avoid generalizing like this. Listen (or read) and ask before you make these blanket statements. I will make your responses a little more credible.

And not everyone is interested in saving $150 and getting a slower computer. Don't assume that either. To "some" people, $150 is a lot of money. To others, it is not. Do not ass-u-me. When you do, you know what happens.... ;)

24. collinmac macrumors member

High School work was very demanding for me!!! Well the playing games while i procrastinating was. Actual school work? Not so much... :D

25. AXs macrumors 6502a

AXs

'hasty generalization' is a subcategory of informal fallacies, not saying a generalization... is literally hasty..?.> :eek:
    You do know that there are different classes of generalization, some of which are valid, and some aren't. Right?

And Nobody is talking about i5vsi7. Please let it go. You're overplaying that in every post you make.
    We're saying the Haswell Air is plenty for highschool tasks.

It's clear the issue with OP is that he's feeling buyer's remorse, which has nothing to do with the cpu in his air :rolleyes:

@collinmac - but to be fair, no gaming = no highschool prom date :p
    Or maybe things have changed. Nobody had a laptop when I was in Highschool. ballpoint reynolds and notebooks. :D
    We actually had to get-together at LAN shops to have a gaming session. Those were good, simple days...