MBA screen tilt 180 and i was wondering..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macbookairhelp, Mar 28, 2009.

1. macbookairhelp macrumors member

Okay long story short: I was in my room and came to my laptop and the screen was all the way back, 180, and i freaked out. it works fine, nothing seems to be broken. BUt i was wondering if this has any impact on my MBA?? IT's cool, i'll never use it like that but I was wondering if theres really any impact? Like will it suddenly explode?? (Too many action movies:()

2. tsubikiddo macrumors regular

just wondering what would it be like for a MBA to open that far back
    is that even possible?
    Any pics? pleasse

if it works fine and nothing shows wrong,
    by all means, keep using it, there's nothing to worry about:p

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

This is common and documented. Typically the result of dropping your MBA. Apple basically installed a 'catch' to keep the screen within 130 degrees and with time this may wear.

4. macbookairhelp thread starter macrumors member

It's not that possible. I was just in my room and had a 200+ page paper back book on it, and i was carrying it up the stairs, put it down on my bed, turned around to put some stuff away, came back and BAM! the screen was flat, 180.
    I know you'd love a pic but sadly I have a camera, but 4 months ago i lost the USB cord. :( Trust, me I'm as dissapointed as you are. I figured it was safe. btu I jsut wanted to make sure.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Do you have any siblings or pets that could have done this while you weren't looking? From the incidents of this I've read before, the part that prevents this from happening to begin with needs a bit of force to snap and it couldn't have happened by itself...

6. d94 macrumors member

wow my month old refurb just did this and i have NEVER dropped it or carried it by its screen! it shockd me when it randomly did this the first time...now im just wondering..it is convenient lol but do i need to go to the apple store and have em repair it? or will this not cause any harm to the machine

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I suck at geometry, but isn't that a 90 degree rotation?

8. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

the lid is already 90 degrees w/ book on

turns around

the lid goes down another 90 degrees, 90+90=180 180 is a flat line

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Ah, yes. I understood what you meant (that the macbook was in a flat line) but I was assuming you meant it was already open.

Anyway, doesn't sound too serious. Hinge might be wearing out, nothing more.

10. darrellishere macrumors 6502

:eek::rolleyes::apple: 4 weeks old!

Attached Files:

11. macbookairhelp thread starter macrumors member

No pets, but I do have a little brother (not that little, 9 or 10,) But I know he didn't do it, because I told him that is he EVER touched it he's dead. He knows better, and has no interest in my laptop other than the occasional time that he wants to watch some star wars video or something.
    The pictures is quite similar, but mine seems to go back a little bit farther.. I dunno it could just be the picture.
    Yes, when I siad 180 I meant thats how far back it is:), but remember I 'aint very good at math either.
    I've had this laptop since early may, do you think the hinge has worn out already? I mean yes I use my laptop alot but that much?
    Thanks for all the help!!!

12. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

That's actually kinda nice—I've always wished Apple laptops would open further (didn't the TiBook open 180º?).

13. zsnow macrumors regular

isn't that the excuse from apple for the broken hinge--Over extended?

14. xerenthar macrumors 6502