MBA SD Card Slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Quad 2.5 G5 =), Jun 12, 2009.

1. Quad 2.5 G5 =) macrumors 6502

Is it possible to put an SD Card slot into the RevC MBA?, I just read that an SD card can be used to boot the MBP in case the HDD Fails. I would think that Apple might be able to squeeze a SD Slot in there to make the MBA even better. Also, the Rev-D should have the SD-Card Slot and a standard 4GB RAM.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

nope. too thin. even if the slot is possible, the internals is cumbersome and require removal of other stuff like making the battery smaller

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Where would they put the SD card slot? There's not much room to begin with.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

A SD slot isn't a requirement for booting - it can also be booted off a USB flash drive, the same as any other properly formatted volume.

5. mojibake macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, a microSD card will slip through the hole in the case where the IR receiver is located. I have often fantasized about pulling the IR receiver back a bit and dual-purposing that slot to fit a tiny microSD reader, soldered to the extra internal USB connections.

But then I realized that the microSD reader itself, less than the size of a US quarter, is small enough to carry around everywhere anyway. Still, though, having a few extra gigs of internal storage without using the USB port might be nice...