MBA Seemed faster than rMBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MilleDav01, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MilleDav01 macrumors member

I was at the apple store today and tried out the rMBP and the MBA and for whatever reason, even to load programs, the MBA seemed faster? I doubt that is possible..

I have good vision, no glasses, contacts etc but I don't see a huge difference in the screen quality. What should I be looking at?

2. mackstein macrumors newbie

Answers...

I saw both from start-up and the retina was much more faster than the air.
    Maybe you didn't see it because the retina already had more apps open or maybe you didn't try to compile a mega-code or to edit 8 screens of HD video.
    In short, if you realy want to see the BIG difference push the two machine to their edge...

And about the screen, maybe the retina wasn't set to his max resolution.
    Set it to the max, open an app which is already "retina-ready" (such as iPhoto) try to max the photo size and you'll see it.

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Programs always load faster the second or third time. So if you did this:

1. Start app on the MBA to check the time.
    2. Didn't watch close enough, so quit and start again.
    3. Walk over to the Retina MBP and start the app.

then the Retina MBP will look slower, because you compared first (slow) start on the Retina MBP to second (faster) start on MBA.

Text on the Retina MBP is massively better. With fonts like Helvetica that are to a large part made of straight lines it is less visible, with fonts like Times it is more visible. Or with italic text.

But to some degree this is at a level where the Retina MBP looks better, but you can't look at the display and say what exactly looks better. This is like two pictures made by a good artist and a not-so-good artist, where everybody can see that one picture is better, but few people could say what exactly is wrong with second one.