MBA vs rMBP for student

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mtjensen22, Jul 30, 2012.

1. mtjensen22 macrumors newbie

So I'm starting university in the Fall and am looking to upgrade from my mid 2009 MBP. I've been torn between these the 13" MBA maxed out or getting at 2.6 Ghz rMBP with 16Gb. I'm majoring in Comp Sci so I'll be using it for programming and the usual school stuff, but I'm also really into gaming. I just don't want to buy a MBA and not be able to play at least some games...I've never used integrated graphics so I'm not too confident in their ability.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

2. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

If you game, get the rMBP. But you shouldn't game, YOU SHOULD STUDY!

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. plucky duck macrumors 6502

What games are you looking to play? I don't know how well games will be handled in non-native resolution in the rMBP and how they'll look.

The HD4000 is not a gamer's dream, but if you're not playing the latest and greatest and don't mind playing on low settings it is doable, depending on the game.

The HD4000 on the 2012 13" Air is decent for gaming. Tried HD3000 and it's almost there, but still shows apparent stuttering/insufficient frame rate, enough so that it affects me enjoying the game. I'd imagine going down to the 11" model with a slightly lower native resolution will help me in this regard.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I'll be honest OP, your current mbp is MORE than adequate for university work

All your are doing is satisfying a want (which is fine), but don't be fooled thinking you need it for school purposes

With that said, I would get the mba between the 2 and pick up an xbox on the side. Unless you like spending alot of money, then go get the rmbp by all means.

I personally, would keep your current mbp and grap a console or build a rig if you are at all concerned about your budget (as most students are)

6. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Listen to this guy, he went to Duke.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

haha no I didn't

But I did go to college and now a grad student!

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What was the major?

9. mtjensen22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a gaming rig that I built a bit ago, and I know I'm just fulfilling a want, but I tend to get a new MBP every couple of years...its just what I do. And I don't need any more consoles...have all of them.
    In terms of gaming on Mac there aren't many hardcore that I would be playing regularly...so it would most likely be some Portal and Bit Trip...nothing too intense by my standards.

10. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Save any money you can!!

Getting through college without being majorly in debt is a bitch unless you get a full ride or have rich parents. You don't want to put yourself in a bad situation after graduating because you have no idea what the job market will look like in 4 or so years.

Not trying to be a downer. Its just that I have a few friends who are in a pretty sticky situation right now because of all their college debt.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are the specs of your gaming machine?

12. mtjensen22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its got an i7 920, 8Gb RAM, and GTX 580 just for the baseline specs...at this point I've honestly forgotten the specifics. So far it has met all of my gaming needs...I'll probably upgrade it at some point.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Get an MBA then, a baseline i7-920 and a GTX580 is more than enough gaming machine for quite a while. Don't blow money unnecessarily.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Mine?

Undergrad was mechanical engineering. Graduated in 08 doing the 5 year plan

Grad is atmospheric science

15. mtjensen22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where'd you go to school?

----------

jav thats kind of what I was thinking...but that damn Retina display is so pretty! haha

16. mtjensen22 thread starter macrumors newbie

So that's why your location is 5054' above "seal level" haha.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nice, Electrical Engineering here... 5 year plan as well. No idea if I'll do masters thou...

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I had the same debate. As such, I worked a few years after graduating before deciding it would be nice to pursue the masters/phd.

Then again, I enjoy the school environment and keep in mind, most science/engr grad programs pay for your school AND give you a salary (not sure how/why people willingly pay huge bucks for med/law/mba programs lol). Pretty sweet gig, which I did not know of at the time I graduated as I figured grad school would essentially be just like undergrad in terms of paying and whatnot

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I know about the Grad programs; however, for them to work like you describe, there must be a GA spot open. Unluckily some of those spots are ringed around a select few (I know someone who knows someone).

20. SoldOnApple macrumors member

You could get an Air and a gaming rig. But, I wouldn't. I'm a student too. If I had a dedicated gaming computer, it would be on all of the time and be a distraction. With bootcamp and the rMBP, you game for a bit (or a few hours), and you are forced to exit Windows and boot back into Mountain Lion so you can actually get your gaming done.

There are some good games available for Mac though, which could be distracting. Luckily, D3 was a stinker. But Civ 5 could cause trouble. Just one more turn on the night your assignments are due :3

21. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Ok.. actually on topic here, I would get the MBA. It's lighter, and it will satisfy your needs if you already have a gaming rig. The MBA is a great machine and you'll love it for your study.

You don't need to blow the money on a rMBP if you already have a capable machine.

22. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

You should get the Air for one main reason: it's smaller. If there was a 13" MBP, then it would be a fine choice. You will appreciate the smaller size more than you imagine.

23. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Oh cool. I am starting my PhD this fall.

But FYI, people pay huge bucks for Med/law/business/dental/pharm b/c they have guaranteed high paying jobs after school (ok except for maybe law and business) and it is much more navigable than the PhD route.