MBA with a touchscreen / iPad with OS X

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BobHail, Dec 15, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

Before anyone starts saying that this would be a stupid idea, let me tell you that this will happen in the future. It´s 100% fact. So better be careful with your words, ´cause when it will happen you would look pretty stupid then, wouldn´t you?

So a device like iPad running OS X or a MBA with a touchscreen, same thing. NO PHYSICAL KEYBOARD!

Only thing Apple would have to do is to design touch to work with the OS X. The CPU and other specs are already here to perfectly run this device.

And with the new Mac App Store, we could run every single iPad app on the device and also Mac Apps. I call it the MacBook Touch.

A perfect device! It´s stupid to have an iPad and MBA/MBP line seperately when we could all have a one device taking care of both worlds.

So there would be no need for iPad anymore or iOS for iPad.

iOS would stay only for the iPhone, where it belongs. It´s a mobile phone OS, for tablet devices it´s a disgrace!

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

When you make boundless predictions like "in the future" you can never be proven incorrect. You can just answer back that it hasn't happened yet.

Grow a pair and put a timeframe on it!

3. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Within 10 years this will happen, but it´s already perfectly possible to do in 1 year. It´s just up to us to push Apple and demand this device.

Customer demand, criticism and feedback is king!

So when the iPad 2 will be released, we need to criticise the heck out of it for still having the iOS!

Stop being so gullible with the iPad! It´s a totally useless device, when you think about this MacBook Touch concept.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Except that the iPad's hardware couldn't run OS X unless it was completely rewritten for the ARM type processors, and Intel's offerings are a bit too power hungry for an iPad-type application with decent battery life. Also OS X isn't practical without a keyboard. Migrating from mouse to touch would be easy enough, but having to bring up an on-screen keyboard every time you need to type something would be quite annoying, and given the iPad's already limited screen space, would severely impair functionality. Make it any bigger, and you might as well get a laptop.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

This idea has existed for as long as home computers have (even longer, probably).

Like alust2013 said, OSX isn't suitable for a touch interface. iOS is.

The thing 'there's no need for' is a tablet with current OSX slapped into it.

6. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said, be careful what you say or you will look stupid, because this will happen, 100% fact.

Look at MBA. No problem there.

You already have to bring up the "on-screen keyboard every time you need to type something". *FACEPALM*

I see no problem here.

Not yet it isn´t, but it will happen. Sooner the better, it´s just up to us to pressure Apple to do this!

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

False, the 11" MBA weighs three times what the iPad does, gets half the battery life, and is using the lowest power chips intel offers.

This is true, however, it is not meant to be a full computer, and the operating system is designed for that. Coding that sort of functionality into OS X would suck, and again, it would limit its functionality as an actual computer, leaving us where we started; the iPad. This would equate to the functionality of iOS, but being more power-hungry and complicated to use. You couldn't play games on it like you can with iOS (name one game that will work on a computer without a mouse and keyboard), taking away half the reason people buy iPads in the first place. It would also require a one-off build of OS X that would be a completely different beast than the real deal, due to the iPads lack of power, features, etc.

8. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Your time frame is ridiculous, you say as early as a year (which is very doubtful) to 10 Years ( which by then we could see a touchscreen MBP).

In the end you still have 2 different products here, that both currently have their own place.

9. Carouser macrumors 65816

Once Apple makes OSX suitable for a touch screen interface, it will look like iOS. Because they already made OSX suitable for a touch screen interface, and it's iOS.

Anyway, how do you propose to 'pressure Apple to do this'? Letter-writing campaign, perhaps?

10. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I think a multitude of requests placed in the "suggestions box" at Cupertino would work. Field-trip anyone?

But seriously Bob, "be careful with your words, ´cause when it DOESN"T happen you would look pretty stupid then, wouldn´t you?"

11. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, still minor issues, but you have to look at the benefits! I would say the benefits are million times worth those negatives!

And remember that technology gets better all the time. By the time Apple would have designed OS X for touch, we would already have better and more efficient CPUs, batteries and probably lighter material to be used for the device. It´s already rumoured that iPad 2 will have something else than aluminum.

No. Something million times better than the iPad. Of course MacBook Pros would still have their purpose. They would have bigger screens and physical keyboards and more room for storage etc...

Of course it would run games, 10x better than the iPad. What are you talking about? It would have specs of MBA or even better.

What is it with these forums? Is there anyone here that can actually comprehend what they are reading?

I SAID: Within 10 years this will happen, but it´s already perfectly possible to do in 1 year.

THAT MEANS: It´s possible to do in 1 year (but obviously Apple won´t do it yet, ´cause people are so naive about the iPad, so they want to make some dollar first with the gullible people). In 10 years this will

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

Bobhail -

I laugh at how in your first post, Starting this thread, there is straight away the evidence of the seething aggression which you seem to constantly spread around these forums.

In many different threads you have been angrily and rudely posting about this very topic. You never listen to other peoples opinions and just get progressively angrier.

What is the point? The people here can't get you what you want. I really think you need to stop flogging this horse before the evident stress it is causing you puts you in hospital.

13. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Exactly what are these benefits?

That's possible, but you're talking within the year. Not going to happen. In ten years, no one knows what the computer market will look like at all.

I'm not understanding how it would be so much better than the iPad when it would amount to the exact same thing.

Ok, either you missed or ignored my point that games do not exist for full-fledged OS minus the keyboard and/or mouse. It couldn't run iPad games, as those are coded for iOS, which is far simpler than OS X. Why would it have specs of the MBA or better? Currently, it's running a decent 1GHz, single core processor with very light graphics, along with a whopping 256MB of RAM. In its most basic configuration, the MBA has a more efficient, 1.4GHz dual core processor with a halfway decent graphics card that can run a 2560x1600 pixel display, plus 8x the RAM. The graphics in the iPad would struggle if the resolution were any bigger.

Sure, it would be a cool device, and fun to use, but it isn't particularly practical and would be hard to implement. It would also be a niche market, not something apple is known to go after too fiercely.

Someone please back me up here that I'm being pretty reasonable.

14. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Backed- up. I'm not sure what Bob is arguing for. However, I do understand what you are arguing against.

15. LinkMx macrumors member

Yeah, because in 10 years I will look back at this thread and think, "Oh boy how stupid was I back then", also in order to be 100% fact, it has to exist already, you can't say that something that will happen in the future is a fact. And FYI the only one looking stupid on this thread is you.

Anyways, you can't come here and state a so called "fact" and then say that everyone that disagrees is stupid. This is a discussion forum and nobody here, including you, knows what will happen in the future (unless you have a magic ball that I don't know of) so you're just coming off as obnoxious and like I said you're the only one making a fool of yourself.

16. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Even if apple did, for some insane reason, decide to do this, what would be the benefits? The osx would have to be so ridiculisly watered down to run on ipad like hardware, it would be the equivalent of ios, minus gaming ability. I wouldn't buy that. Nowhere near as many would buy that. The MacBook air fits perfectly between ipad and mbp as it is. Ipad + full os + physical keyboard + heavier, bulkier.

17. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you can´t figure that out, then you´re a lost cause.

Yes you will. I´m sure that then years ago you were saying "we´re never going to browse the web with our cell phones" and boy do you look stupid now.

Funny thing is that all you who are arguing how stupid this idea is (or you are just playing the devil´s advocate), is that when the "MacBook Touch" will be released, you will be first in line to buy it and saying how great idea it is. :D

18. LinkMx macrumors member

I guess what they could do is something like the Lenovo U1 Hybrid, so it would be a macbook air with intel processors and OS X but the screen part could come off and it would basically be an iPad with it's own processor and storage. Obviously there are downsides to this, the screen part would have to be thinner than the iPad currently is and it would be more expensive. Also it probalby wouldn't make sense to Apple since customers would be able to buy one device instead of two.

19. LinkMx macrumors member

Actually some years ago I was dreaming for a portable device that had wifi, touchscreen, enough storage to hold all my music and gaming, and then the iPhone came out, and it was everything I wanted and more.

20. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Key words right there.

But I guess the customers want so desperately give Apple extra money and not demand what´s best for them. At least some people in this thread do, very sad.

21. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Funny that you never cited exactly what all these benefits are yourself. Are you assuming we all know exactly why you think it's such an amazing idea? The point of a full OS is to run apps that require a full OS, like Photoshop, Final Cut, proper document editing software (iWork on iPad doesn't count), real games, store and manage media, etc.

You can't photoshop for real on an iPad. Sure you could do some informal stuff, but you wouldn't do a design project on it. It wouldn't be powerful enough to be useful editing video, not to mention it not having external connectivity.

If you want to write a 15 page lab report on a touchscreen, be my guest, but I'm thinking just about everyone else will take a real keyboard over that every time. And if you think that would be bad, try doing some complex excel spreadsheets. Those already take hours on a regular version of excel, I imagine you could double the time for a touch-based version.

Developers make and have been making games that are based on the use of a keyboard and mouse since they started making games, so any game out there on the market for OS X will naturally require a keyboard and mouse. Devs would have to revamp the entire game for a product that would be a very small market, while everyone else is still happily playing with their keyboard and mouse. Not going to happen when there is already iOS, a perfect system for these touch/motion based games.

As far as storing/managing media on that type of device, that's pretty well a lost cause. You would need external drives to hold a reasonable amount of stuff, at which point you have defeated the purpose of an iPad-sized device.

In light of all of that, please explain to me how, without needing accessories external to the device, that it would be so much more magical and useful than what we have now with the iPad and soon the second generation model. So far you have just been bashing what everyone else has been saying with little evidence or reason behind it.

Browsing the web with cell phones is a simple task, reasonably well suited to phones and other such mobile devices. That is quite irrelevant to this topic.

If such a product did come out, I wouldn't be buying it with reasons. First, I am sick of this touchscreen craze. It's really not the most amazing thing ever. I had an all touch phone once, and have since gone back to a physical keyboard, as it is nice not to have to look at my phone constantly to type, and it is considerably faster.

Second, I already have a laptop which is plenty mobile enough for me (I fancy myself manly enough to carry around my big, bulky 4.5 pound MacBook), as well as an iPod touch, a perfect, pocketable, fun device capable of carrying around my music, movies, photos and some very entertaining apps. I don't need something that tries to combine the two, and makes too many compromises (ie, not very powerful and doesn't fit in my pocket).

And finally, I am not a slave to apple's marketing gimmicks. Why do I have a MacBook? I got sick of windows' shenanigans, it works well, and does what I ask of it, not to mention it was a graduation gift. As for the iPod, Apple makes about the only decent music player out there anymore, and it plays some pretty sweet games (courtesy of iOS)

22. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL! So alust2013, what will you say the day when Apple releases this device? I bet you will feel pretty stupid then. :D

Are you going to criticise the "MacBook Touch" (that can run every iPhone, iPad app and every OS X app) saying: "This device is a stupid idea from Apple, I love carrying two devices with me (iPad and MBP/A). Carrying one device that can do it all is stupid, I won´t buy it!". I´m sure that will be your "criticism" then. :D

Like I said, this will happen, it´s just a question of how soon.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think eventually iOS will evolve to the point where it is just as full featured as OSX. Remember when iOS first came out, it didn't even have copy and paste. Now we have copy and paste, multitasking, printing, passing files from one app to the next. iBooks just got "collections" so we can organize books in what is essentially single-level folders. I expect similar features will appear in the iworks apps, and eventually there will be a way to manage and organize files at the OS level.

In the meanwhile, we know from the preview of Lion that Apple is introducing some iOS-like features into OSX. Ten years down the line, I expect there won't be a distinction between mobile and desktop OS, they'll all just run on the same operating system. I don't think anyone will think of it then as "Apple finally made an iPad with OSX." It'll just merge so gradually people wouldn't even notice.

24. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I'm beginning to think that your goal here was not to argue or discuss an idea...you are simply looking for affirmation of your "genius" and praise for your thoughtful insight. I'm afraid this is the wrong place to do that, as you have continually been obnoxious to everyone that has attempted to add something, and even more so when they offer something that is opposite of what you believe.
    People have made some great points, such as the one above. Either agree with it, or object to it- but please use some class when doing the latter.

And if it's praise you're looking for which will help to end your infantile behavior, then, "Bob- you're so smart and intelligent and good-looking and cool. Keep impressing us with your brilliance." Are you done now? :D