MBP 13/15" to consider .....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, Aug 12, 2009.

?

Is the extra pound and size of the 15" worth the gain in screen real estate?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Your opinion?

Is it worth the extra pound and larger footprint of the 15" for the gain screen real estate compared to the 13" MBP?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have a 17".

Individuals choice, varies from person to person. Why people ask it constantly on this forum, like, "do you think I will like the extra screen space..." Seems like such an easy answer, "I am not sure, will you?"

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I understand, I'm just looking for people's opinions based on their experience(s).

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I understand, I will link them to your thread when they ask ;)

The best poll to ask would be if the users regretted the choice they made with the screen size or not.

5. maroulis macrumors member

voted ^also check my reply to your previous post on the MBA thread...

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Depends on where you use it. Primarily at home, definitely get the 15" MBP. On the road, if you're in an Airline/Train seat, the 13" MBP is a lot easier to use. Taking to school for notes, the 13" wins out. But if you're doing something graphics intensive, the 15" wins out. Just depends how you plan to use it???

They are both amazing. I would take a 15" unless you plan to use it for a lot of travel in tight spaces. Overall the weight difference in the bag is minor.

7. Rogue68 macrumors newbie

I agree with thegoldenmackid; no one can predict what will work for you. On the other hand you're asking for opinions so here's mine:

I've owned two 15" MBPs and two 13" MBs, including last year's unibody MB.

If you work on the go and you want a machine you can take and use comfortably anywhere, those two inches between the 13" and the 15" make some difference. I lugged my old 15", literally, right around the world. Although it didn't kill me, it was a pain in the *ss; 15" machines don't easily fit into all bags; they don't easily fit on an airline table; they don't easily fit on the small desk areas in the back of OB trucks etc.

Functionally it was brilliant. Portability-wise it was sort of ok.

When that machine died last year I had to buy something quickly so I bought the 13" MB because I really wanted a small machine and thought I could work around the lack of firewire or that Apple had some kind of technological bridging idea in mind. I couldn't/they didn't. It turned out to be an expensive mistake, although the size was perfect.

I've just upgraded to the 13" MBP and for me, as a pro writer/producer/director it really does represent the best of all worlds; the size, weight and functionality balance out. The screen is absolutely fine (would be better matte, but that's another issue). It seems to run cooler than either the 13" or 15".

Right now I couldn't be happier.

8. gobo macrumors newbie

gobo

As mentioned, it mostly is influenced by how you use the MB.
    I switched to a MB around a year ago (15"MBP). Both at home and at work i have a big (24") LCD connected to the MBP. Once you're used to this setup, every MB screen is too small ;-).
    But if you work alot on the MB itself and don't mind carry around some extra weight, then go for the 15". Also if you need the extra video power in the 15" model. Otherwise, the 13" is fine. My GF has a 13"MBP, and i have an old 13" MB for testing / playing and they both work fine. If i had to replace my 15" MBP that i use for work, i think i would replace it for the new 13" model. But that's because i hardly ever work on the MB itself and i don't use the extra video power in the 15" that much.

GB

9. richard371 macrumors 68000

13 for me

If it were my only computer and I didn't lug it around, id probably go 15 or 17 but I have a 24 Imac so the 13" is perfect for me. I lug it to work "get tired of windows all day" on trips etc and even to coffee shops around town and I would not go past 13.

10. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For me no. Just for screen space no.

Now, if the 15" would have something enticing say an extra graphics card, then yes, I'd be more motivated to add 1lb more.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

Depends. If I were to use the laptop display exclusive, then yes, but since I'm going to use an external monitor a lot more I'm going for the 13" because of the smaller size, cheaper price and lower weight.

I've also noticed that there aren't many small, compact messenger bags for 15" laptops. I got one for a 13" and it's comfortably small with still enough space for any adapters, cables and whatnot.

13. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

I originally bought the 13"

Swapped for the 15" but strickly because I do photography and the extra screen space is good...

If it weren't for that, I'd still have the 13"... The thing is a beast... Also, the 13" feels sturdier because its lighter.. Sounds odd.. But basically with a larger screen size, the weight when holding/moving the laptop creates slight "creaking" noises whereas the 13" was so light that the weight is insignificant to its build.. Also, the 15" screen may slowly flop if you have the laptop at an angle, again, the weight of the screen size... 13" no probs...

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It depends on what you're looking for, how you intend to use it, and what's your budget.

If you plan on using Photoshop and not have it hooked up to a monitor, then I'd say the 13" MBP isn't a great choice. If you plan on playing games or using apps then the 15" MBP with the dual GPU would be a better option.

I'd suggest you head down to your apple store and check them both out, personally I'd say go with the 13" because the smaller form factor and price.

15. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

I just did the same thing, I had the 13" MBP but went back to my air, now I really want a larger screen the 13" is nice but the 15" rocks.

Ordered mine today from the refurb store will be her Monday!

16. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I thought about ordering the 15'' but mostly for the discrete graphics card and not the extra screen size. For me laptops are all about portability so the 13'' was the way to go for me.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Anyone who thinks the 15" isn't "portable" is an idiot.

18. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

another senseless post ... it becoming the trend on this forum lately, it's too bad, so much good info littered by 'punk posts', lol

so now that we know anyone who thinks a 15" MBP isn't portable is an idiot ... let's take it a little further ...

- How about it on an Airplane ?
    - How about for commuters who walk far and/or take public transit to work?
    - What about working in the field, on your lap, small table, car, etc for very long periods?

I don't think you are an 'idiot' if you don't find a 15" portable in those instances.

But thanks for your Post, it's been a great help to all I'm sure :D

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed.

I find that the 15" to be very portable but then, I don't take it with me a lot of times. I can easily see how someone may not feel its not "portable" for their needs and there's no reason to call them an idiot.

20. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I really like the 15" size. Its still quite portable and its never been a problem on the airlines or just when out and about. Granted, I do use my 12" Powerbook a lot when around town, but I really don't think the 15" would be that much more hinder-some than 13". That extra screen is really nice to have more often than not.

21. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

mainly depends on what you will be using it for.

i prefer the 15" over the 13" mainly because im a photographer. bigger screen is better for me.

im also a DJ, if i didnt do photography id pick the 13" because its lighter and i dont need as big of a screen for me to use at an event.

but since i have the 15", i use it for both of my works.

22. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

I'm actually trying to decide on this very matter right now. I myself am a photographer (that's my full-time job) I do my major editing on my mac pro at home. Up until about 2 months ago I did all my mobile editing on a 13" Macbook I bought right after Leopard came out. It was fine really for most things, but it started to lag pretty bad when I got my 5DmkII (I suppose it just couldn't keep up with 21MP raw files.)

Anyways, I gave my original macbook pro to my father to get used to macs until he decided to get one for himself. Long story short, I reacquired my 15" mbp and gave him the MB. for me working on a 15" screen again has been nice, but not 100% necessary. I didn't mind the 13" screen size at all really. It was awesome for travel.

For me seeing as how the 13" MBP would not be my main computer, I'm inclined to go for one of those mostly because of the form factor, but also because I think with 4gb of ram (and 8GB later on when it's more affordable) it should be sufficient for editing photos and cataloging footage into Final Cut. It wouldn't be used for 100% of my work, just everything while traveling.

23. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

^ just realized you're in santa ana.. im in huntington beach. sorry off topic.

i really like my 15" mbp for picture editing. im sure the 13" is fine, but the extra 2" really helps a lot. i lug my 15" everywhere i go.

24. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Screw the "extra pound"! How about "is the EXTRA $500 worth 2 inches?" I couldn't justify it - and there's not enough of a processor and RAM increase to support the price for me, either. I went with the 13" and am VERY happy with it. If I need a bigger monitor, I'll go much, much bigger than just a 15" screen. My opinion: save your money for a bigger external monitor.

25. wakemac macrumors member

In the process of switching my business from PC to Mac...

Decided on the 15" for discrete graphics and screen size. 13" too small for us to use as only screen when traveling. Also better presentation when in front of clients or potential employees.

Just my opinion though.