Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirhedley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
I only have 2-3 Safari tabs open for normal browsing/email and only getting 4-5 hours of battery life on 2018 13" MBP. Anyone else having this issue?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
No....on the 2016 model I had huge issue with battery since it was so small, but the increased size seems to have mostly solved the problems. I get between 6-10 hours of "normal" use. If you push the machine it'll go down, but for web browsing it should be in that range.

How long have you been using the machine.

Also, what is your normal brightness level?

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I haven't used mine on battery power much, but one thing I've observed is that when I unplug it, after it "calculates" for a few minutes, it usually comes up with about 7 hours of time remaining. However, after a while this calculated number inches higher, eventually ending up at around 9 or 10 hours. Haven't used it on battery enough to judge how accurate that estimate is.

sirhedley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
No....on the 2016 model I had huge issue with battery since it was so small, but the increased size seems to have mostly solved the problems. I get between 6-10 hours of "normal" use. If you push the machine it'll go down, but for web browsing it should be in that range.

How long have you been using the machine.

Also, what is your normal brightness level?

Appreciate your reply. I've only had the machine about 2 weeks. Due to the room I work in, the brightness is very high (80-100%). Does brightness have that much of an impact on battery life? I've never done a comparison.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Appreciate your reply. I've only had the machine about 2 weeks. Due to the room I work in, the brightness is very high (80-100%). Does brightness have that much of an impact on battery life? I've never done a comparison.

It will with any 2016 model onward...the display is 500 nits, so once you push it past 80%, its going to exponentially start taxing the battery more. If you can keep it at 75% or less it'll get significantly better battery life.

The only way to test this is to keep the display at like 60% for a little while and see if the battery drain is very different...if so then that is the cause of it.

Reactions: sirhedley

macdudesir

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2011
Blacksburg, VA
Brightness weighs very heavily on all MBPs 2016 and up because of the incredibly bright 500 nit display. Keeping your brightness down will have a huge positive impact on your battery. You can even see if you click on the battery icon in the menu bar, it'll tell you the display is using significant battery power.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 9.47.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-01 at 9.47.25 PM.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 178

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003
Check Activity Monitor to make sure that SafariBookmarksSyncAgent isn't constantly using the CPU. For some reason when I set up my 2018 MBP I was seeing the same type of battery life and realized this rogue process was constantly using over 30% CPU. After I fixed this, battery life has been great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.