MBP 15" 2009 Model... Blurry Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ArcAngel66, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ArcAngel66 macrumors regular

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but after searching on these forums I couldn't find a topic already talking about it...

I just received my 15" Macbook Pro ( Mid 2009, the most recent update ), and noticed right away at just how blurry the screen is.

Comparing it to other laptops around me, and my desktops monitors... the text on the Macbook's screen looks blurry compared to them all.

Now Im making it sound like it's horrible, and it's really not... I just expected it to be a lot crisper and sharper.

2. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

what's the resolution of your screen? make sure it's at 1400 x 900

3. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Can you take a picture of the text?

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Have you compared it to the screens at the Apple Store? If so, is it worse than those screens?

6. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. Picture incoming soon.

7. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: You can see the text that's blurred pretty well here sorta, I tried to get it in "big" text so it showed up well.

Not sure how well those turned out... But basically it's the text that makes it noticable...

The text within iTunes is absolutely horrible, and everywhere else it seems not nearly as sharp as my desktop Dell monitors. I think it could also be the contrast, as that seems overly high, and could possibly be making the monitor look less crisp.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It seems sharp enough to me, but that's because you took a screen capture of it. Try taking a picture of the monitor with a camera, as then we can see what you are seeing on the actual monitor.

9. incandenza macrumors member

I think you're just not used to the font smoothing in OS X. You can try lowering the setting in the Appearance preference panel and see if you prefer that.

10. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Is font smoothing turned on? It doesn't look too bad to me.

11. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

I think this could be it. I'm going to have to take a look at them in the Apple store tomorrow.

I don't know, just looking at high resolution screen shots of OSX on my Dell monitor, the 3 bubbles ( red yellow and green ) in each window seem 100% round... But when I look at them on my macbook pro, they just seem very pixelated and blury/not crisp.

I see it as either one of three problems:

1) I'm not used to Mac OSX and how the font compares to windows.

2) Im not used to laptops, Im normally on my Dell 24" 1920x1200 monitor.

3) I have a bad display.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Wait... Those look like screen grabs to me, rather than actual photos taken with a camera, therefore it doesn't show the true likeness of what the eye can see. So until you provide us with actual photographic images, the feedback you'll get from us will be inaccurate.

Here's an example of my MBP's screen taken with a Canon ƒ2.8 100mm Macro Lens. (excuse the dustiness of the display.. i ain't cleaned it in a while)

[​IMG]

13. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Ill do my best in the morning to do this. I was trying it earlier, and my D40 wasn't able to focus well enough that close to the screen. But ill try a few other things.

14. kanpachi macrumors regular

I know exactly what you're talking about, it was hard for me initially to go from Windows to OS X because of the font smoothing. As someone mentioned earlier, you should go to System Preferences -> Appearance and lower font smoothing from the default best for display setting to low and see if that makes things better for you.

Mac laptops tend to be a lot brighter too than PC laptops so adjusting the brightness setting should also help. Adjusting the gamma/color should help a lot too - you can accomplish this by going to System Preferences -> Display -> Color and editing the "Color LCD" default profile. You can click through everything (disabling advanced options), change just the gamma to 2.2 from 1.8 and then save the new profile as Color LCD Calibrated or whatever you want. This will make the "internal brightness" of the display less and make colors look richer and darker. Good luck!

15. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

This is the #1 issue holding me back from buying a MBP. Seriously.

To my eyes, text on Windows using ClearType is much sharper than the same text on a Mac. The Mac fonts, to me, look blurry or fuzzy in comparison.

I went to see the new MBPs the other day, hoping that this may have changed... but no go. :(

Here are just a few other threads about it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=716370

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=245012

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367918

EDIT:
    I forgot to mention that I did try adjusting the font smoothing on the MBP System Preferences -> Appearance. While it did seem to change it a bit, the text still did not look as sharp as it does Windows w/ ClearType on.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't know... On Mac, the text is very clean looking and the visuals are very balanced. However, in Windows, the font smoothing is rather crude, like the font smoothing on my Blackberry. It didn't bother me when I switched from Windows, but then I see what you mean. There is a very large difference between how text on the Mac looks and how it looks on a Windows computer. It's all a matter of preference.

17. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

In all honesty, I don't see how anyone could prefer the Mac fonts, since (again, to me) they appear to be less sharp than Windows w/ ClearType. So, in my mind, I don't see how anyone would prefer text that is less sharp.

Believe me, I'm not trying to knock Apple -- I own an iPhone (which has beautifully sharp text, by the way) and very much want a MBP. I just can't get over the blurry text, and don't see how I'd ever get used to it. Maybe if I never saw text from Windows again... but since we have 3 other Windows machines in the house, that's not gonna happen.

18. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

It took me a long time to get used to OS X's font rendering, though I doubt I'll ever 100% adjust to it. I don't get headaches like I used to, but it's still hard for me to read sometimes. It still seems like a blurred mess a lot of the time, like I'm looking at a picture with some pieces gone here and there.

I agree in that I don't see how anybody could prefer OS X's font, but there are just as many who say the same thing about Cleartype. I guess we should be glad there is a choice.

19. chunkylover53 macrumors newbie

20. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I'm glad you said that. Fearing a flame war, I didn't want to mention that I seem to get a headache every time I use a Mac... ;) ...but it's true. It's good to know -- sort of -- that I'm not the only one!

21. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

22. Philflow macrumors 65816

I thought this was expressed well:
    Source

23. ArcAngel66 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE:

Went to the Apple store to compare the MBPs there to mine. ( the brand new one in Scottsdale, AZ, just a week old! )

While it's a bit tough to fully 100% compare amongst the huge spotlight's completely blaring down at you... I did get a good feel and what about 4-5 of them there were like compared to mine:

They all look the same, and that same is just like mine!

Mine looks the same as basically every one I looked at. I used iTunes as a comparison, and the fonts all looked rather... well, crappy on of them compared to PC/Vista counterparts.The text inside iTunes just is blurry, and not smooth, and etc. But it's most likely something you get used to either way however.

I'm happy that mine isn't defective though!... Now I can just get used to what it is, and that's something Im totally fine with. I don't mind the text being a bit "blurry" as long as it's meant to be that way!

The real test will be when I install Windows on this Mac though, then I can get a true comparison on sharpness.

24. Jottle macrumors 6502

There is another thread on this here. I noticed that same thing. Text looks fuzzy on these screens, but it's really just the font smoothing that osx uses. Unfortunately, there's no real fix. You could attach an external monitor. Either way, these new screens seem to bring out the red and blue subpixels around text more than others, so the text appears fuzzier since you're seeing more of the pixels. It's a tradeoff I guess :)

25. Jottle macrumors 6502

Ditto on this. I think these screens are slightly blurry as well. Changing to 2.2 gamma makes the edges of the text darker and easier to focus on .It's not "crisper," it's just easier on the eyes.