MBP 15" price too good to be true?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockyroad55, May 23, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I found a local seller willing to sell the high end 15" (2.2 ghz i7) for $1200 cash. Is this too good to be true? She says that her parents paid half for it and her class was cancelled so she will now use her PC instead. Makes sense that since she probably only paid half, she would still get her money back. But, the retail price for this is $2200 and her price is $1000 off. I'm wondering if this may be a setup for crime or something (read some bad stuff happening on craigslist like the crime in San Diego).

2. simsaladimbamba

Is everything included (box, restore DVDs, power adapter, maybe even receipt)?

3. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

4. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I would thoroughly check everything out and meet in a busy place. Seems sketchy, could be stolen.

5. shansoft macrumors 6502

PM me her contact info first ...
    And I am serious about it.. :D

----------------------------------------

1200 is too good to be true to be honest.

It sounds like one of those stolen machine.

6. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Get the serial number and check if it is stolen.

7. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

True but there's the possibility it hasn't been reported.

8. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Gonna try to meet at a starbucks in a busy setting downtown.

I expected the price to be about $1900-$2000.

Thanks. Forgot about doing that.

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If I'm you, I would meet the seller at a local police station to complete the deal. :p

Good luck. :)

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I would recommend meeting at an Apple Store and see if one of the techs can check it out to make sure that nothing is wrong with it and to check the serial number.

If there isn't an Apple store, Starbucks is fine. Get there early and order a drink and take a seat. Let them come to you, check it out and if everything is good then do the transaction. Let them leave first and make note of their license plate. Don't let them see you leaving or entering your car just in case they try to grab your license plate. Just be cautious since they know that you will be carrying $1200 in cash.

But yeah, I would be selling it for $1800 minimum. It doesn't matter if she only paid for half of it, why wouldn't she want to recoup more money?

11. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

General rule: If it sounds too good to be true, it most likely is.

12. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

+1

13. rockyroad55, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Oh yeah! There is a Apple store right across the street from Starbucks. But, would you guys suggest meeting up? I'm just scared to carry $1200 cash like that you know? If the price was $1800, then I would be fine haha, seriously. I just don't want to risk it at all because this is really the first time I have ever come across such a great deal like this for a MacBook from my years of ebay and craigslist. I mean, the best deal ever so far is the MicroCenter deal for $999!

UPDATE: Second person posted another one for $1200. Fishy.

14. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I apologize for the consecutive post.

Some part of me wants to go see if this is true. Another update was that someone was supposed to pick it up yesterday BUT he never showed up. Then the seller contacts me now about getting it. At first I took the advice of my fellow members here but something about this...

I want to meet at an apple store at the genius bar since it's so deep in the store so getting away might be difficult. Should I just ignore my impulses and walk away?

15. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Meet at a busy place, but in my opinion, don't meet at an Apple Store. Asking Apple Store employees to check out a used MBP so it can be sold is kind of rude, from a retail employee's perspective.
    The best case scenario really, is that she's just spoiled and doesn't give a **** what her parents buy her. Next best case scenario is drug addict, and it gets worse from there...

17. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

and maybe don't bring the cash in with you... leave it in the car until everything checks out.

18. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I was going to schedule a genius bar appointment. Also, I was thinking if checking it out and if everything is good, we would go to the bank down the street for money.

19. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I think meeting in the apple store is a great idea. You can make an appointment with an apple genius at the same time. If the seller is uncomfortable with the idea then you know its stolen. If not, sweet deal. And besides, it isn't as if you won't be going to the apple store in the future anyway... its not rude to ask for a service that they are there to provide.
    there's no harm in checking out the machine. It will take 10 min to figure out if its legit or not

20. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Why would you schedule a genius bar appointment? They are there to make money, not help you with your 3rd party purchase inside their store. (not saying this rudely)

21. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

its cool if its COD, but if she's asking money first (down payment, shipping etc..) its a scam

22. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Run diagnostics on it. I've done it in the past where buyers would want to check an iPhone I am selling to them.

23. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd be wary about this deal if I were the OP.

24. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The same person, or a different person?

25. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Interesting. And they don't give you any problem for doing this? Do they know you're looking to buy it from a private party?