MBP 15 ' vs MBP 17' HI-RES

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesusplay, Jan 19, 2008.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

MBP 15 ' vs MBP 17' HI-RES, is the high resolution worth 3 hundered or so dollars???

arent they all high res??

2. Jamnabot macrumors newbie

Well...they're two different screen sizes, where the 15" resolution is 1440x900 and the 17" ranges from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200, so if you need the larger screen then it's probably worth the extra money.

3. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Is the higher resolution worth the extra $300?

Yep, it's worth every penny cos the following attached screenshot shows just how much you can fit on the 17" Hi-Res. That's a desktop (23/24") resolution on your lap! Try doing that on the 15" ...

You're getting 78% more pixels!

(Depending on your browser you'll probably have to click on it again once it opens up in a new window to see it at it's actual size).

Attached Files:

4. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

I could not use the 15 for the web and graphical work I do.

The 17 high res is another matter: it is a desktop in a laptop.

5. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

A couple weeks after I first decided to get a MBP (still haven't bought it yet... UPDATE, PLEASE!), I started wondering about the 17" hi-res option. In fact, I was very upset, because I figured I would not be able to resist the call of the 17" model, and I would end up spending an extra 800 bucks or whatever. Fortunately, after seeing them both in person, I realize that I do not consider the 17" model to be portable enough for me. So my advice would be to check them both out in person, and then decide. 10 minutes messing around with them side-by-side will do more to make up your mind than any number of posts by strangers on the internet. Or at least, it should.

6. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

I knew I wasn't going to lug mine around that much, and I wanted a computer to replace my workstation. So I got the 17''.

If you're going to carry it around quite alot and you haven't gotten used to the delight of the 17'' hi res, the go for the 15'' ;)

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

How will you use the computer? If it's a desktop replacement and your budget allows the extra $300, then it's a good thing. But if you're going to carry it about, fly with it, or even haul it about the house, then the 15" might be a better solution.

Moreover, if you're really getting it for a desktop replacement, you can buy a 15", for better portability, and spend the $300 you saved to buy a 20" LCD for your desk.

I'm glad I got the 15" -- I think it's easier to travel with for when I do (infrequently) travel. But if I was just going to use it at home / office and tote it about town to Starbucks, then the 17" high-res would have been a great choice.

What I wish was that they had a high-res 15" model, with 1680x1050 resolution.

8. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

well currently i have a 15' lcd monuitor(not widescreen)

would i notice a difference with e th 15' mbp?

i dont want the 17' because i heard the screen was horrible cuz its not LED.

9. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

That is Really Funny -- or Not.

The LCD screen is fantastic -- we bought two 17" MBP BECAUSE THEY HAD the LCD screen -- it is far more accurate, colorwise, for PRINT SWOP work than the new LED.

Obviously you have not heard of the enormous amount of problems with the LED bottom 1/3rd yellowing issue.

The LCD screen on the 17" is fantastic. A great choice until the bugs get work out of LED and until the color calibration improves.

10. gothamm macrumors 6502a

Question for the 17 inch high res MBP owners:

do you find that you have to squint your eyes to read the text? 1900x1200 must look uncomfortably small on a 17 inch screen..

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I don't have to squint and I am blind as a bat. Here you go, I have increased the font on my web safari, so it is fine. Here you go a screen-shot attached.

Attached Files:

12. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

Nope, never :)

Hah, didn't know that :). Nice.

13. Catch macrumors 6502

The 17" Hi-Def is stunning. When they stick a Blu-Ray drive in that thing I will dump my 15" for that one. For now I can't justify it as my 15" is still a superb computer that does more than I need. Having that extra resolution would be pretty special though for longer trips where one would be deskbound...

Regards,

C

14. tekmoe macrumors 68000

love my 17" mbp hi-res. i've had it since it first came out. simply beautiful.

15. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

A minor calibration and matter of rectifying a misunderstanding you seem to have going on. Both the 17" and the 15" have LCD screens. LCD is short Liquid Crystal Display. LED is short for Light Emitting Diodes which is the form of backlighting in the LCD screens of the 15" and this is the difference between the two laptops.

16. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Thanks for clarifying. I did know that. I was speaking using the "common" vernacular of this site.

17. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I am upgrading to the 17" MBP, probably with the Hi Res, and i dont why people complain about lugging the 17" MBP around. It is only 1.4 Lbs heavier, and 1.3 inches wider, and .8 inces longer.

18. bubble27 macrumors regular

Lets say you pick a 15" and a 17" hi-res. at same specs....would there a difference in performance of the two?

Or do the benchmark the same?

19. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

Well, one thing is for sure, the battery life would be slightly worse on a 17" because it would need more energy to power that sucker.

20. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

It depends what type of application you're benchmarking. If it's a game for example then having it run at a higher resolution on the 17" would obviously lower the frame rate. Of course you could simply lower the resolution to match the 15".

But I'm sure I've read quite a few times that the graphics card in the 17" automatically clocks higher when the demand is there than the 15". I think I read it on the www.barefeats.com site when they were doing a comparison.

Anyone wanna confirm this? Or am I wrong?

21. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i read that as well.

22. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

My schoolbag is fairly light, and when I take my 15" MBP with me, my back starts hurting. The only thing that put me off the hi-res one is the weight. Oh, and it doesn't fit into a standard size backpack.

23. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Battery life is just as good as the 15 depending how you you it. Graphics wise I find it always a bit better at the old gaming then my younger brothers 15" 2.6.

24. esvee macrumors member

I'll be getting the 15 inch when it comes out, because while I'll be replacing my desktop with my mbp, I'll be doing so with it attached to a 20.1" ultrasharp :)

I do print/design/photo work, but I rarely need to design things while on the train and such.

25. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

"standard size backpack"? I don't think there is a w3c-esque standards committee for backpacks.

That said, my coworker used to put his 17" in a 15" swiss bag, and it worked for a while, but eventually it tore the zipper seams.