MBP 15" Zagg Invisishield pictures and slight disappointment

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 2high2aim, May 29, 2010.

1. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Hello everyone I just got my first mac and its a MacBook Pro 15" i7 HR-AG and wanted to protect it and so I purchased a Zagg Invisishield for it. I also paid $20 for the installation ontop of the purchase to get it professionally installed...as I was looking into the details I noticed that the pieces are not properly cut out for the MBP 15" and are off leaving the edges unprotected from scratches. Disappointing because the edges will be most prone to scratches. Here are some pictures of my New MBP and Zagg Invisishield installed....

Also Zagg Invisishield owners is your cut out a little off too or did I end up with a bad one?

[​IMG]
    This is me opening it for the first time yesterday.

[​IMG]
    Top View

[​IMG]
    detailed macro

[​IMG]
    Its adds a slight gloss and shine

Corner pic and others depicting the bad cut outs....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom Side pictures, notice the screw holes which are not cut out right...compare the left and right side of the MBP15

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just one more of the center back by the vent

[​IMG]

2. TaylorJ macrumors regular

They obviously wont cover the screws dead-on, or else it would be impossible to line up correctly. Also looks more like a bad install job, nothing to worry about though. The pieces are obviously going to be a bit short, rather than a bit long..which is logical.

3. Rogue. macrumors regular

Whilst I can understand your reasons for fitting one of these, I still can't help but feel that they spoil the look of the MBP.

Each to their own but I prefer to use a padded sleeve to protect mine ;)

4. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

How is this a bad install job? the installation is was done by a professional installer who installed numerous others MBPs and other devices.
    Please do specify how it is like any bubles or is it too much to a corner...

Also it is a bit smaller the holes on the bottom prove this on the left side screw hole the cut out is a bit towards the right and on the right bottom side leg the plastics a bit to the left? This is how I concluded that the cute out is not properly sized to fit the MBP paying $50 for a product I except it to fit perfectly...but do not mind minor mistakes.

Note: Look at the last 3 pictures of the bottom. Center looks properly aligned vs. the left and right sides

5. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

I had an incase sleeve plus but it did not fit my backpack so I returned it and also because my backpack already has a laptop compartment.

6. Moomba macrumors regular

I have one on my '10 15" MBP and I'll agree and say it's more of an installation issue. IMHO the fitment is just right. If you make it too close you can/will run into many issues of dirt/oil finding their way under the edges and cause pealing (as what happened on my iPhone 3G when it was covered.) The issue with the skin not covering the corner can be mitigated by centering the skin rather than aligning with an edge. The install itself looks decent for an edge install, but shows zero finesse and attention to centering. As for the underside, again, they will likely need to be centered rather than edge aligned. If you center it overall, the screw holes are slightly off. However, I feel calling it "off" is being a bit... anal. This from someone who is rather OCD. The holes are a bit larger than the screws to allow for a bit of play.

Could it be cut with tighter tolerances? Yes, but frankly the skins are more prove to failure from having exposed edges. The best/simplest method of ensuring this is to have it slightly smaller, and holes slightly larger.

7. trondah macrumors 6502

Look at the bottom of your MBP. I'm guessing it's full of scratches. In my experience the aluminum scratches real easy. Putting it down on a table with small breadcrumbs or whatever means certain death to the nice finish.

The invisibleshield looks nice and protects it completely from this problem, you can sit your MBP down wherever you like without having to worry. You also want a sleeve for transporting of course. There's also the "wrapsol" alternative that I hear preserves the matte finish of the aluminum. If you put it on before you start using the MBP, it will look brand new the day you take it off. Why wouldn't you want one?

By the way this is a very nicely installed invisibleshield. I've applied it three times and still suck at it I always get some small bubbles.

8. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

The Truth (Feedback)
    I think there could have been a better install of the Invisishield, but it looks normal from afar. If you were working on your MBP in the library I wouldn’t notice the lines. If it were I, I’d take the sides off and leave the top and the bottom on. The sides of the MBP, in my opinion, don’t really interfere with your daily use, so no need to protect it from scratches. In one of your pictures, I noticed the front of the Invisishield starting to peel. It would bug me every time I use/see it.

9. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

Oh, and thank you for the pics. They were good to show your concerns. Bravo!

10. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

I don't know about the product, but my experiences with Zagg have been poor.

I ordered an InvisibleSHIELD for my SE Xperia X1, and it never arrived. They sent out another one (so they say) and it never arrived. They wouldn't refund until a couple of months had lapsed since I confirmed that my last one hadn't arrived, so that there would be time for the product to be returned by the Post Office to them.

Took 6 months from when I ordered until I got my money back lol so I'm not going to deal with them again.

11. trondah macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention that my latest invisibleshield was too small as well, exactly like in your pictures. My previous one was a perfect fit.

12. andrew086 macrumors regular

Hmm... I think that maybe you just got a bad one? I don't know, but I also purchased one and it had scratches and indentations from the cutting machines on it.

13. Rogue. macrumors regular

Yes, it's called wiping the surface clean before placing it down :rolleyes:

And thanks for your concern, but no scratches yet :)

Places another egg in mouth [/sarcasm]

14. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My mom has ghost Armor on hers. Its okay. The palm rest area is covered, but the film was either streched or too big, as it hangs very so slightly over on the front right, picking up durt, and oils as when you lay your hand on it, it folds. The bottom has screw holes, and needless to say, it looks JUST like yours. The Top also isn't on correctly, but she doesn't care.

Also, it was installed by a Pro.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

They're always a little small, but all you need to do is stretch the pieces as you are installing them and you can get close to complete coverage. The InvisibleShield on my 15" has better coverage due to the fact that I carefully stretched it to be that way.

16. trondah macrumors 6502

Give it time, the scratches will come :)

17. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

That's a very poor fit. My Wrapsol aligned nearly perfectly. I also don't like teardrop cutouts around the rubber feet and screw hole; the Wrapsol has individual holes for each. Not impressed with the Zagg.

18. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Where do you get it professionally installed? I would consider doing it if someone else will do it for me. I would just mess it up.

19. SonicBoom1981 macrumors regular

+1 for Wrapsol and Vyper M3 combo (both ordered / MBP naked atm).

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The offsetting of the holes is most likely because the installer didn't take into a ccount tha tthe material stretches as its put on. You have to be careful with that.

Other than this, it look spretty normal for a ZAGG iNvisible shield install.

I still have the one I put on myself, and I remain happy with it. I'd think twice about doing it again because it was such a pain, but a professional isntall I think would be worth it.

From afar, people don't notice you've got anything on your macbook, and for that reason, wrapsol doesn't really impress me much.

21. Xombie11 macrumors regular

I'm surprised you don't operate your machine in a bubble suit.

22. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

I am OCD, and Ill do go back to the mall both for another install...I read a certain individual saying one must "STRETCH" the film...have you also done so?

It does look normal but I want my MBP to be protected from scratches and paid top dollar for this product so at a minimum it should protect as advertised.

Would you say that the cut out on the first one is different than the second or more on the install process.

Bill I constantly thank you for all your inputs...I will go back and ask them to "stretch it" to make a better fitment.

23. 2high2aim thread starter macrumors 6502

Plus I kind of like the deep glossy look that it give with certain light conditions and also feel more confident in using my laptop in public than having to constantly worry about scratching it.

I am definitely going back to get it properly stretched and fitted

24. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

My pleasure. Just keep in mind though that the IS is not designed to be removed and reapplied once it's firmly in place, and the installer might just say you're out of luck. It's not a BAD install job by any means, it just could have been better.

25. trondah macrumors 6502

I didn't do any stretching on the first one as I recall, I just put it on and it seemed a better fit than this one.

That being said, I am really poor at installing this thing and if I had your install I'd be really happy it looks really smooth and nice. As long as it there is no bubbles or peeling who cares if it doesn't completely line up to the edges.

I wish there was someone who offered a professional install where I live (Oslo)...