MBP 16" black screen when switching from integrated graphics to dGPU

serge94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 6, 2020
Europe
Hi everyone,

I have a 16" 2019 MBP (i9 2.4, 32GB RAM, 5500M 8GB) that I just updated to 10.15.6 last week. I was using the dedicated graphics almost always as I had it enabled in Chrome and I use Chrome all the time so this issue might have been from even prior versions of the OS. I have since disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome and it's now using the integrated graphics 99% of the time.

However, whenever I open an app that needs the dedicated graphics such as Adobe Photoshop, Sketch, Adobe Premier Pro or Final Cut Pro X, the mouse freezes and the screen goes black either for half a second or 2-3 full seconds. I'm guessing while it switches to the dedicated graphics. It's kind of the same thing that happens when you plug an external monitor in. Everything works ok after, except a few visual bugs in Photoshop which I think are due to Photoshop itself. I even got a "graphics driver issue" error in Adobe Photoshop one time.

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or just me? I may have a lemon graphics card. I already had a logic board replacement due to sleep wake kernel panics.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cerbero

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
Yep, and I didn't find this mentioned anywhere except here by you. Weird, I noticed it right away after installing 10.15.6.

I have almost the same MacBook (i9 2.3 instead of 2.4, everything else the same as yours) and I am have the exact same issue.

For me it happens with Adobe Lightroom and Affinity Photo, but I have iStat Menus that shows me what graphics card is active and you are right, it happens during the switch to the dedicated card.

I'm gonna send feedback to Apple, but given that we already are at 10.15.6 I hope they take care of it before Big Sur, maybe with a supplemental update.

Reactions: serge94

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Started happening here too just in the last week. It isn't all the time when switching graphics cards, and a restart fixes it...but it's a new issue for me too. I have the exact same MBP 16" as the OP.

AMP12345

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2016
St. Paul, Minnesota
This started happening to me a few days ago, but only when Chrome is open. I’m on macOS 11 beta so I’m not sure if it’s a mac bug or a chrome bug.
16” 2.3 GHz i9 32GB 5500m 8GB

Cerbero

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2020
This started happening to me a few days ago, but only when Chrome is open. I’m on macOS 11 beta so I’m not sure if it’s a mac bug or a chrome bug.
16” 2.3 GHz i9 32GB 5500m 8GB
Chrome is often using the dedicated graphic card. Did you try other graphic intensive software like Photoshop or Final Cut?
I'm getting slightly better graphic performances and slightly lower temperatures, so I think it's a new faster but not-so-stable radeon graphics driver included in macOS 10.15.6 and 11 beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.