Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

earthwormjimwow

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2020
Another happy HP G2 Thunderbolt Dock (120W, no audio) owner. The fan isn't noticeable if the dock is more than 4 feet from me either.

1593467636327.png

So much better than the Dell USB-C D6000 I was stuck using. That dock cannot power on a Macbook 16" if the battery is below 1%.

At first I had issues getting the displayport outputs to work on my single external monitor (Dell U2415). I knew about the MST problems, but 1 monitor should be no problem. USB-C to HDMI adapters did work through the dock, just not the displayport outputs.

Tried a spare monitor, worked fine. Tried the dock on a spare Dell laptop with thunderbolt, display port worked fine with the U2415 I wanted to use. Dug through the menus on the Dell U2415. It has an option to enable "DP 1.2." As soon as I turned that setting to disabled, the monitor worked fine in MacOS.

It's only a 1920x1200 monitor, so it doesn't need much bandwidth, and I obviously am not using MST for daisy chaining since I'm using MacOS.

Still, it's 2020, and we don't have MST support in MacOS, but we do in Bootcap Windows? Why?!!

_rkain

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2020
I'm considering the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro (https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U097) even though it's only 85W of power to the laptop. Is there any reason this dock wasn't included in the list? The CalDigit TS3 Plus (TS3+) was included despite not being 100W. I'm hoping my daily usage won't actually need the 100W.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I'm considering the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro (https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U097) even though it's only 85W of power to the laptop. Is there any reason this dock wasn't included in the list? The CalDigit TS3 Plus (TS3+) was included despite not being 100W. I'm hoping my daily usage won't actually need the 100W.

I'm using a related Belkin product, the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Express HD Dock and it is powering and charging my 16-inch 2019 MacBook Pro just fine. Now, I'm not heavily taxing the machine when it is plugged into the dock, but doing light tasks that don't push the GPU or CPU is fine with the dock.

Last edited:

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
My dock is also 85W, and I have had no problem at all with it keeping up. My usage consists of web browsing / office stuff (which obviously poses no problem), with occasional higher-consumption tasks like Handbrake, exporting photos from Lightroom, FCPX work, etc.

Even though your computer's reported power usage during heavier tasks like that might sometimes exceed the available 85W (and thus pulls from the battery a bit), if it's not running like that for extended periods of time, it won't be a problem.

Gumbolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Plugable finally posted a blog post update (click here) on their plans for the TBT3-UDZ (TitanRidge chipset).

TL;DR:
  1. 1. Extra USB-C 10Gbps port on the front of the dock (added after customer feedback)
  2. 2. 96W PD to laptop, down from 100W (to comply with IEC power regulations)
  3. 3. It has already passed Thunderbolt 3 certification
  4. 4. It is in its "final stages" before launch
  5. 5. ETA in September 2020 (globally)
After months of supply chain disruptions and finalizing product features we are excited to share some new updates!

Based on customer feedback, we’ve updated our design to include an extra USB-C 10Gbps port on the front of the dock for easy access. USB-C peripherals are more common now than ever before and we want to make sure that TBT3-UDZ allows you to connect all of your devices.

To ensure compliance with IEC power regulations, we’ve updated the dock to provide 96W to the host device. The small change to 96W will not negatively affect any laptop charging behavior and will allow customers to purchase the docking station worldwide. With Apple also releasing laptops with 96W chargers, such as the new 16” MacBook Pro, the TBT3-UDZ is the best docking station to pair with these devices for unrivaled performance.

The TBT3-UDZ has passed Thunderbolt 3 certification and is in its final stages before launch. We are expecting the dock to be available globally in September. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we navigate the effects of the pandemic, while also working to bring you a top of the line Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C dock.

Reactions: ogun7

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
So as of now HP G2 Thunderbolt is the only reliable dock to use with a MBP 16” 2019 in clamshell mode connected to two 4K monitors?

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
I'm having great luck with both the Dell WD19TB and CalDigit TS3+.

Thanks, I've been looking at more reports and looks like the key is that since MacOS doesn't support MST you have to plug one monitor to one of the DP ports and the second monitor to the TB3 port. Is this what you're doing? Also how about the charging power? Are the Dell WD19TB and CalDigit TS3 capable of keeping your MBP charged?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Are the Dell WD19TB and CalDigit TS3 capable of keeping your MBP charged?
I've been using my work 16" with a TS3+ and with the Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock, and both are working fine at charging the computer.

smmehta

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2020
Hi, I am using Targus DOCK190USZ for a week now with 2019 MacBook Pro `6 for past one week and it's been working well. I use only one monitor. And with the latest DisplayLink driver with Mac OS 10.15.5 do not see much of an issue.

rex450se

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Independence, MO
Thanks, I've been looking at more reports and looks like the key is that since MacOS doesn't support MST you have to plug one monitor to one of the DP ports and the second monitor to the TB3 port. Is this what you're doing? Also how about the charging power? Are the Dell WD19TB and CalDigit TS3 capable of keeping your MBP charged?

The assessment of the monitor connections are correct. I have one plugged into HDMI or Displayport and the other monitor is plugged into a Thunderbolt port, small inconvenience but it works. Charging power is fine. I've run the computer pretty hard for multiple hours on end and never had an issue with it not having power. If it did draw more than it was getting it was never for long enough to do anything.

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
I‘m waiting for the Plugable TBT3-UDZ with 96W. It has also Displayport 1.4.

@Gumbolt already postet it

Reactions: ogun7

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Just a reminder - the first post in this thread is a WIKI and can be added to.

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Guys, when connecting your docking stations to two 4K monitors - do you get 60hz on both?

At the moment I’m connecting one monitor by using a TB3 -> DP cable. This one works at 4k 60Hz.

Then I have a Hyperdrive hub that has a 4K 60hz HDMI port. If I connect just one monitor to my MBP by using this hub I get 4K 60Hz too BUT if I connect a second monitor by TB3->DP, then the HDMI one drops to 30Hz.

Is this happening because of the hub? Would I get 60hz on both screens if I used two separate TB->DP cables? Asking because I have only one TB->DP cable, they’re not cheap...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Guys, when connecting your docking stations to two 4K monitors - do you get 60hz on both?

At the moment I’m connecting one monitor by using a TB3 -> DP cable. This one works at 4k 60Hz.
I've driven two 4k displays at 60Hz, along with the internal display, on a 16" MBP using the Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock, with both displays connected to the dock using DisplayPort cables.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
can anyone recommend me a docking station for my Mac. its 2019 MacBook Pro 16". I want to use a single monitor and want a single cable solution!

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
I've driven two 4k displays at 60Hz, along with the internal display, on a 16" MBP using the Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock, with both displays connected to the dock using DisplayPort cables.

Thanks for your answer. I guess my HyperDrive hub is kind of dodgy. BTW did you have to install any drivers to use the Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock? You didn’t run into the ‘mirrored but not extended’ displays issue?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks for your answer. I guess my HyperDrive hub is kind of dodgy. BTW did you have to install any drivers to use the Caldigit USB-C Pro Dock? You didn’t run into the ‘mirrored but not extended’ displays issue?
The USB-C Pro dock doesn't require any drivers. It's not using DisplayLink, and in spite of its name it's an actual Thunderbolt dock when connected to computers that have Thunderbolt, and USB-C when connected to devices that have USB-C only. When connected over USB-C, you can't drive 2 4k/60 displays with the dock.
The Hyperdrive dock is USB-C only. Are you connecting the dock and the other display on different sides of the computer?

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
The USB-C Pro dock doesn't require any drivers. It's not using DisplayLink, and in spite of its name it's an actual Thunderbolt dock when connected to computers that have Thunderbolt, and USB-C when connected to devices that have USB-C only. When connected over USB-C, you can't drive 2 4k/60 displays with the dock.
The Hyperdrive dock is USB-C only. Are you connecting the dock and the other display on different sides of the computer?

Have just tried same side and different ones. Same result: 30Hz out of HDMI port.

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
BTW there seems to be a new contender: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089GKTC5B#Ask

it’s brand new and seems to come from a kickstarter (backers pissed off because they haven’t received it yet but Amazon has it already)

they claim to supply 96W to the connected laptop and support dual 4K 60Hz external screens. No drivers needed so I guess it’s not using DisplayLink.

Caveat: it takes up 2 thunderbolt ports when connecting it to the MBP.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacGarage

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
Getting my new 16 MBP spec'd out delivered on Thursday. I need a docking station, and I have a few special requirements that I can't seem to solve out of one dock. Money isn't a concern (as long as it's under $500), functionality is.

- I have 4 1080p 24" Monitors that have HDMI in. I would like either 4x HDMI ports or a combination of HDMI/TB3/DisplayPorts so I don't need a 2nd adapter.
- I need 3x extra USB 3 or USB-C ports for my external hard drive, audio interface (for my mic), and my webcam. Type doesn't matter as I can get needed adapter cables.
- Must have an ethernet port (Gigabit preferred).
- Must have support for power delivery rated to 96W.
- Only want 1 cable to plug into my mac for everything.

I've looked at options for Belkin and Caldigit, but nothing seems to support 4x monitors. I could by the USB-C Pro dock and 2x DisplayPort 1.2 to dual HDMI boxes and that would work, but I figured I would ask here before dropping money if I missed something.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Getting my new 16 MBP spec'd out delivered on Thursday. I need a docking station, and I have a few special requirements that I can't seem to solve out of one dock. Money isn't a concern (as long as it's under $500), functionality is.

- I have 4 1080p 24" Monitors that have HDMI in. I would like either 4x HDMI ports or a combination of HDMI/TB3/DisplayPorts so I don't need a 2nd adapter.
- I need 3x extra USB 3 or USB-C ports for my external hard drive, audio interface (for my mic), and my webcam. Type doesn't matter as I can get needed adapter cables.

I've looked at options for Belkin and Caldigit, but nothing seems to support 4x monitors. I could by the USB-C Pro dock and 2x DisplayPort 1.2 to dual HDMI boxes and that would work, but I figured I would ask here before dropping money if I missed something.
There's a long thread about this topic here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-16-compatible-docks-with-96w-100w-power.2211247
You're not going to find a dock that supports 4 displays. It's a bandwidth limitation.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
going to have to take a deep dive on this thread and see what's up with the Dell dock....i happened to have one setup already for my XPS rig.

On my MBP with the usb-c magsafe adapter, it works just fine charging with OE brick, Rav and Anker power bricks/cubes.

Same magnetic adapter off the Dell Dock cable and it won't charge. If I remove it and plug right into the mac, it shows power connected but not charging. If I do a SMC reset, it will charge with the cable direct. It won't with the Mag. adapter.

Not sure if it's the cable coming off the dock or just the charging profile .

Now that I type this, same mag adapter off the 130W Dell power brick also charges just fine

Daventry

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Hi everyone,

Have just received a Dell WD19TB.

My two monitors are Lenovo L28u-30. I'm connecting one to the TB port and the other one to the USB-C/DP port in the dock. I'm using the same cable for both monitors - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075V27G2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With this combination I get the desktop properly extended.

The charger is providing 90W to my MBP 16-inch 2019 (screenshot attached).

One issue I've noticed though - upon waking my MBP up, one of the displays drops to 30Hz. The only way to get both back to 60Hz is to connect them to the MBP, make sure I'm using default resolution for the displays and then reconnect them to the docking station.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? BTW when scaling I set the resolution to 2560x1440 on both screens.

Thanks.

EDIT: Have installed Bootcamp and then upgraded the WD19TB to its latest firmware. Looks promising - upon plugging it back it's automatically scaling to 2560x1440 at 60Hz.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 09.23.10.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-15 at 09.23.10.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

djben

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008

I just want 1x HDMI @ 1440P + 2x DP @ 1080p myself, but based off all I gathered here it will not be possible to do with a single dock and single Thunderbolt connection to my MBP unless I want to go with a dock that uses custom Displaylink drivers, which I'd rather avoid.

*EDIT*
actually looks like the Dell dock might work? Think I'll give it a try. https://www.dell.com/support/manual...58fc88-5c31-4e2c-90be-42359855a1ae&lang=en-us

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.