Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Actually iStat Menus works great for this... one of the bits of information it provides is "system total" power, which indicates how much power the computer is consuming (regardless of source). If I have a Handbrake encode running, it will be 90-100W. Normal use (for me at least) is typically in the 15-50W range.
How much of that is from the battery vs charger? Does iStat break it done? An inline meter would give you the demand on the charger.
As an engineer, geeky things like that fascinate me.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
How much of that is from the battery vs charger? Does iStat break it done? An inline meter would give you the demand on the charger.
As an engineer, geeky things like that fascinate me.
Yes, it does break out battery vs. charger. Here are two screen shots, one at idle, and the other with heavy usage. My particular dock is (best-case) limited to 85W, so as you can see it pulls some power from the battery when under heavy load.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.41.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.41.57 AM.png
    83 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.45.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 8.45.35 AM.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Cotterpin

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
What about the Wavlink UTD03?

Provides USB power delivery up to 100W maximum of upstream charging to compatible Thunderbolt™ 3 host systems, along with power to the other peripherals with a 180W Power Adapter.

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
What about the Fan? I‘m reading so many complaints about the anoying fan of the WD19TB.
I heard the fan when I initially plugged the thing into the wall 2 weeks ago, but have not heard it since. It’s also sitting right on top of its own power brick, so overall seems to be cool and silent for me.

Reactions: dooyou

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I can't vouch for this personally yet, but it looks like Kensington has a new dock, the SD5600T: https://www.amazon.com/Kensington14-USB-C-Thunderbolt-Dock-DisplayPort/dp/B08H4WHQ2N

Specifically, this bullet point qualifies it for this thread, I think:

"170 Watt Power Supply delivers 100W power to charge your laptop via power delivery 3.0, great for the MacBook Pro 16”"

Seems to start shipping on 11/17.

Believe this is re-branded from another similar, but not 100% positive. One thing confusing is the USB-C backwards "compatibility" instead of straight TB3. Someone will have to see how this actually works and if it ends up using USB for display vs. TB3. Mixed comments/reviews on Amazon and elsewhere for MBP specific usage.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
One thing confusing is the USB-C backwards "compatibility" instead of straight TB3.
There are a number of docks that work this way, connecting via TB3 when the host offers that, and connecting as a USB-C device when the host does not have TB3. There are differences in capabilities when connected over Thunderbolt 3 vs. when connected as a USB-C device.

dooyou

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Munich
I ended up in buying the Caldigit TS3 Plus now. This whole docking station jungle is a pure mess and each has its own flaws.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
There are a number of docks that work this way, connecting via TB3 when the host offers that, and connecting as a USB-C device when the host does not have TB3. There are differences in capabilities when connected over Thunderbolt 3 vs. when connected as a USB-C device.

Yes, and display via USB-C instead of TB3/DP is less than ideal for those that utilize that part of the dock. Some of the backwards compatible at least SEEM to be USB display (which is compressed) instead of native DP.

glyph.

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
here
I wish that they'd include more thorough technical specifications so that we didn't have to guess (I guess I'll try asking a question on the amazon page and see if the vendor answers) but this snippet from the description implies to me that there's totally different hardware for USB-C host devices and Thunderbolt host devices for displays:

Supports 4K Ultra HD (4096 x 2160 30-bit color @ 60 Hz) to one or two monitors for Thunderbolt 3 devices; USB-C devices supported at 4K @60Hz to a single monitor or 1080p@60Hz to dual monitors

That looks to me like there's proper displayport over thunderbolt3 and some crummy internal fallback for USB-C only devices.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Basically looking for a dock that can fully power the MBP 16" with 96W (like an Apple charger) and offer "desktop replacement" style solutions to connect monitor(s), external storage, peripherals, possible eGPU, etc.

The closest I've seen that even might come close is the Targus DOCK190USZ, but it's out of stock and not sure it really meets the needs/specs.
[automerge]1573741919[/automerge]

I've reached out to CalDigit to confirm, but my understanding is this will only work if you're OK with the battery being partially drained during use. It only provides 85W of charging power.
This eGPU is awesome. Not only 100W to the MBP 16 but internal SSD bay, 5 USB ports and a Card reader. It's pretty awesome.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
This eGPU is awesome. Not only 100W to the MBP 16 but internal SSD bay, 5 USB ports and a Card reader. It's pretty awesome.
Can you personally confirm all ports work reliably on macOS? Similar models have issues with USB and Ethernet in macOS and are perfectly fine in Windows.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I use it in MacOS almost exclusively. No issues using all ports and when waking from sleep the internal SSD remains connected Testing using HDMI and DisplayPort from the eGPU to the 4K external monitor. Mac games work very well and even though Bootcamp isn't officially supported the devices worked automatically and the proper AMD drivers installed after a couple of Windows reboots.

james404

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Hi guys, what do you think about
caldigit usb-c soho dock? Has anyone tested it?

CalDigit USB-C Gen2 10Gb/s SOHO Dock - Up to 4K 60Hz, HDMI 2.0b, HDR, DisplayPort 1.4, 10Gb/s USB A & USB C, UHS-II microSD and SD Card Readers, Passthrough Charging, 100W Power Delivery

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
Hi guys, what do you think about
caldigit usb-c soho dock? Has anyone tested it?

CalDigit USB-C Gen2 10Gb/s SOHO Dock - Up to 4K 60Hz, HDMI 2.0b, HDR, DisplayPort 1.4, 10Gb/s USB A & USB C, UHS-II microSD and SD Card Readers, Passthrough Charging, 100W Power Delivery
This dock doesn’t have its own power supply, so I don’t think it’s in the same league as the docks mentioned at the top of this thread.

Reactions: bsbeamer

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
AUKEY CB-C71 knocks 100W input to 87W (or less) to power the other “stuff”. Even product images on Amazon are clear about this:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
This dock doesn’t have its own power supply, so I don’t think it’s in the same league as the docks mentioned at the top of this thread.
Correct. USB-C spec maxes at 100W power. Docks without their own power supply cannot deliver 100W at all. The other ports and dock consume power, usually at least 10-15W.

james404

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Correct. USB-C spec maxes at 100W power. Docks without their own power supply cannot deliver 100W at all. The other ports and dock consume power, usually at least 10-15W.
It’s incorrect. That’s why:
“The beauty of USB-C is that it incorporates up to 100W power delivery into it’s design. This means that when you connect your laptop’s USB-C charger to the SOHO Dock it will be powering the SOHO Dock and its attached USB devices, in addition to charging your laptop.”

...so it can supply up to 100W

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
It’s incorrect. That’s why:
“The beauty of USB-C is that it incorporates up to 100W power delivery into it’s design. This means that when you connect your laptop’s USB-C charger to the SOHO Dock it will be powering the SOHO Dock and its attached USB devices, in addition to charging your laptop.”

...so it can supply up to 100W
Can you both be correct? If 100W is the max and other devices are connected to the USB dock wouldn't they require some of that wattage(even if it's a small amount)? Most laptops are rarely pulling full load so whatever power is remaining is probably more than enough. I have the Vantec for traveling and it's been great but at home the eGPU enclosure has a full dedicated power supply so there's never an issue.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
100W is the total through certified USB-C wall adapter. If dock requires 10-15W just to power itself, you are not getting 100W from the 100W power source - that is simple math.

Devices providing 100W USB-C PD with their own PSU's are very different. Certified TB3 docks that claim and truly offer 100W PD have their own PSU.

Reactions: coach_ditka

coach_ditka

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2019
Illinois, USA
For what it’s worth, my Dell WD19TB has a 180 watt power supply. It supplies 90 watts to non-Dell PC’s.

The dock itself consumes some amount of power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.