Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ridicolos

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2021
Its pathetic that USB C Pro dock doesn't support 94w charge. it only supports 85w.
Yea sure thing. I have no idea why they only support 85Watts on the "Pro" Model but on the "normal" Version they have 94 Watt charging.

Other than the 2x displayport ports instead of the 2x hdmi ports on the "normal" edition and the limitation of 85Watt on the pro I don't really get what the difference between the normal and the pro dock are.

Im still waiting for the release of the USB-C HDMI Dock from Caldigit here in germany..

Reactions: MuGeN PoWeR

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but AmazonBasics makes a dock that delivers 100W of power.

Because this dock is using passthrough USB-C power, it's going to take a cut of whatever power output is coming out of the AC adapter. How much power is drawn off isn't clear, but you're not going to get a full 96W out of Apple's adapter.

Ken.Chuang

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2021
For those of you using a MacBook Pro 16" did you realise that the AC charger info states 60w even if you are using a 96w charger?

is this normal? if so then would a 60w/ 85w charger be enough?

Attachments

• CleanShot 2021-03-08 at 01.51.55@2x.png
    CleanShot 2021-03-08 at 01.51.55@2x.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 101
  • CleanShot 2021-03-08 at 01.58.55@2x.png
    CleanShot 2021-03-08 at 01.58.55@2x.png
    105.1 KB · Views: 96

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Authentic Apple charger with MBP16,1 says 96W for name and 94W for wattage report. Anything less and you’re using a different charger or there is an issue.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
For those of you using a MacBook Pro 16" did you realise that the AC charger info states 60w even if you are using a 96w charger?

is this normal? if so then would a 60w/ 85w charger be enough?
Authentic Apple charger with MBP16,1 says 96W for name and 94W for wattage report. Anything less and you’re using a different charger or there is an issue.

To add to this, my authentic Apple charger reports firmware 1070051. All other info except serial the same. Still on Catalina, 10.15.7 (19H524).

AC Charger Information:
Connected: Yes
ID: 0x7002
Wattage (W): 94
Family: 0xe000400a
Serial Number:
Name: 96W USB-C Power Adapter
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Hardware Version: 1.0
Firmware Version: 1070051
Charging: No

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
FYI, the latest packages of CalDigit TS3 Plus are shipping with a different power supply. It's a thinner and lighter "brick" with model number FSP180-ACAN3. The older power supply is model number LPS-190AB A.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Also of note: some of the Caldigit TS3+ docks shipped with a generic MAC address of 00:a0:c9:00:00:00. There's a (Windows only) utility to update the MAC addresses on these docks.

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
The CJP Ultimate Dock sadly charges at 79-80w, but it is an incredible dock for the price. If you use a 100w charger and not the 96w charger(really 94w), you will get about 85. That should be fine for editors on here. The other option is to wait for the M1x 16inch, but who knows when that's coming and our 16's will continue to depreciate as we speak. The 5600m is still a good value and you still get bootcamp.

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
The CJP Ultimate Dock sadly charges at 79-80w, but it is an incredible dock for the price. If you use a 100w charger and not the 96w charger(really 94w), you will get about 85. That should be fine for editors on here. The other option is to wait for the M1x 16inch, but who knows when that's coming and our 16's will continue to depreciate as we speak. The 5600m is still a good value and you still get bootcamp.
Do you have link to that dock? I can't seem to find it in Google search.

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
Do you have link to that dock? I can't seem to find it in Google search.
Sure do. Here yah go: https://www.charjenpro.com/products/ultimatedock
I backed in on Kickstarter but it’s slightly more than the Kickstarter price currently. It has 3.2 gen 2 USB ports and takes uhs-ii cards. So no need to spend 70 bucks on a card reader for your xt3/xt4 or even the new a7siii or black magic. It’s also very compact for what it’s capable of. The headphone jack also is a bonus.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Sonnet is listing a new eGPU called "DuoModo" in their compatibility PDF that seems like it will have a beefy PSU based on support for AMD 6XXX series. This might also offer some kind of additional PCIe expansion, but cannot find official documentation elsewhere yet. AMD 6XXX support is officially in Windows right now, Mac is only in beta for 6800 and 6900 series under Big Sur 11.4+ (first issued drivers).

DoorsFreak87

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2020
Sonnet is listing a new eGPU called "DuoModo" in their compatibility PDF that seems like it will have a beefy PSU based on support for AMD 6XXX series. This might also offer some kind of additional PCIe expansion, but cannot find official documentation elsewhere yet. AMD 6XXX support is officially in Windows right now, Mac is only in beta for 6800 and 6900 series under Big Sur 11.4+ (first issued drivers).

I would absolutely be on this if the 6000 series could encode and decode hevc 422 10bit(r5, a7siii hs codec, etc). I’m not interested in jumping to the mac arm in the first gen of these chips. I’m probably sticking with my intel 5600m.

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but the new OWC Thunderbolt Dock (which uses Thunderbolt 4) is great. Supplies 90 W. Has three Thunderbolt 4 ports in the back. I can connect it two monitors no problem. It finally fulfills the goal of having one cable to the 16"MBP. Before, I was using a Caldigit TS 3 (not the plus version), and was not able to get it to work with just one cable; I needed to plug one of the monitors directly to the MBP.

One consideration is that it does require Big Sur.

Reactions: dooyou

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2015
Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but the new OWC Thunderbolt Dock (which uses Thunderbolt 4) is great. Supplies 90 W. Has three Thunderbolt 4 ports in the back. I can connect it two monitors no problem. It finally fulfills the goal of having one cable to the 16"MBP. Before, I was using a Caldigit TS 3 (not the plus version), and was not able to get it to work with just one cable; I needed to plug one of the monitors directly to the MBP.

One consideration is that it does require Big Sur.
It's OK. Pretty expensive.

I'm on my second one and the ethernet port is junk, at least for me. When connected to my 16" MacBook Pro the ethernet port somehow shuts down the LAN side of my Unifi Dream Machine router when the computer goes to sleep. Makes the entire LAN network die. Have to reboot the router to bring it all back. Also replicated on an old AirPort Extreme Router. An OWC engineer spent 3 months with it and couldn't offer me any suggestions or advice, and eventually they just refunded my money. Wasn't super communicative either, every few weeks I would have to write in to check on it. I just picked up another one and it's the same problem. I'm very bummed.

andrewj

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008

I'm on my second one and the ethernet port is junk, at least for me. When connected to my 16" MacBook Pro the ethernet port somehow shuts down the LAN side of my Unifi Dream Machine router when the computer goes to sleep. Makes the entire LAN network die. Have to reboot the router to bring it all back. Also replicated on an old AirPort Extreme Router. An OWC engineer spent 3 months with it and couldn't offer me any suggestions or advice, and eventually they just refunded my money. Wasn't super communicative either, every few weeks I would have to write in to check on it. I just picked up another one and it's the same problem. I'm very bummed.
Luckily, I haven't had any problems with mine.

glyph.

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2020
here
Has anyone found a Thunderbolt 4 dock that can serve this purpose yet? (It's amazing to me that nobody has managed a thunderbolt 3 dock that can do this for basically the entire lifecycle of the technology)

VArase

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Chicagoland
Has anyone found a Thunderbolt 4 dock that can serve this purpose yet? (It's amazing to me that nobody has managed a thunderbolt 3 dock that can do this for basically the entire lifecycle of the technology)
The Plugable TBT3-UDZ has been released, but it doesn't have a Thunderbolt pass-through.

I used it with my 16" 2019 MBP until I sold it just prior to WWDC.

VArase

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Chicagoland

I've found pretty much all Thunderbolt docks to be problematic - my CalDigit TS3+ would occasionally lose its mind forcing me to disk check all four disks in a Thunderbay 4 on the far side of it.

I eventually had to place the TS3+ on the far side in the Thunderbolt chain to prevent this from happening.

Perhaps Pluggable has it right (with the Plugable TBT3-UDZ): don't even bother putting a Thunderbolt pass through on the device.

KoolSafak

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
It seems like the new Lenovo ThinkPad Thunderbolt 4 Dock could be the dock of choice. It supports PD 100W and
maximum resolution 1* 8K 30Hz Via HDMI 2.1 or 4*4K 60 Hz. Probably different with MacBooks though.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
CalDigit via Twitter:

An update regarding M1 Max:
With our Element Hub, you should be able to reach dual 6k 60hz monitors on DSC enabled monitors, like the Pro Display XDR. With dual Element Hubs, it's theoretically possible to use four 6k monitors.

Additionally, our Thunderbolt 3 docks can all push dual 4k 60hz monitors on M1 Pro and Max devices!
That includes the TS3 Plus, USB-C HDMI Dock, and USB-C Pro Dock.

With the announcement of M1 Pro and Max hardware, everybody is asking about dual monitors. You'll be happy to know that the Element Hub can drive up to dual 6k 60hz monitors with DSC support on M1 Pro and Max. Our Thunderbolt 3 docks can also support dual 4k60hz monitors!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.