MBP 17": 1920 x 1200 too much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fstfrwrd, Aug 7, 2008.

1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

I was planning on buying a new MBP when they're released and I was interested in a 17" model with the 1920 x 1200 screen.

But just a moment ago, I saw my dad's IBM laptop (15" screen) but with a huge resolution ... result: you need a magnifying glass to read the text so to speak.

Now I'm worried that this might be the case in a 1920x1200 MBP ... does anyone have pictures of a 1920x1200 and a regular resolution 17" MBP side by side, so I can decide which one to get?

thanks in advance!

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Don't forget that Resolution Independence is on its way. That will make a higher resolution screen definitely worth having. Go for the hi-res one, you'll regret it later on if you don't.

3. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I don't have the hi-res 17" inch (or the 17" at all), but I have seen it in the Apple Store.

If it weren't for the fact that the 17" is just too big for me nor too expensive for my budget, I would've gotten the 17" Hi-Res. It is absolutely beautiful. Plus, you get LED then. And trust me, it is MUCH better.

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You can see an image of them both on Apple's website. But I have the 17" hi res and let me tell you..... WOW!

It's not an issue since it's not on a smaller screen and you can always adjust the size of the text. Having the resolution of a 24" in a 17" body is wonderful. If you are contemplating 17" MBPs then the LED hi res is the way to go.

5. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Wrestled with the same question. But only momentarily. The LED backlight was the clincher.

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the MBP's since Santa Rosa with LED backlight?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The 17" standard-res is not LED backlit. The 1920x1200 screen is.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Completely agreed. Also 1920·1200 has 30.6% more screen space than 1680·1050.

The thing is, resolution independence hasn't shown up on any Mac OS X builds yet. The last I heard from it was a piece of text on Apple asking developers to get ready by 2008 (or something like that). (I'm assuming that was for 10.6, because it was before the Leopard delay. So maybe it's by 2009 now.)

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Worst case scenario: Everything' too small and you lower the resolution to something more productive.

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It's not nearly as hard to read as 1920x1200 on the 15.4" (which is an option on some Dells we have at work). ;)

Seriously, I'd get the high-res screen because once resolution independence comes, it should be very sweet.

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Just one word: STUNNING

1920x1200 looks amazingly gorgeous! Your MBP will automatically resize all system fonts and icons including the dock! But, its gorgeous and there's no other word for it!:D

12. chinarider macrumors regular

Get the Hi-Rez Screen.

I have it and Love it - However, there are times that I pop the resolution down from native when things get TOO small and hard to read. Not optimal, but I love having the choice.

13. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a workaround by simply pinching/enlarging the text with multitouch if the words are too small?

14. andrewisnot macrumors member

andrewisnot

That's what I was going to say.... multitouch works like a charm when reading text that is too small. Although I rarely use it once I have set the type size I like. Works in just about every app. Go higher resolution for sure. It blows me away everyday.

15. pinktank macrumors 6502

I actually prefer smaller text, gives me so much room, wish we had a little more resolution on the macbooks

16. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Thanks, good to know.

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

You can zoom the entire screen by pressing a keystroke (In: Command + Option + =, out: Command + Option + -).

18. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

Point #1: Jeez, are you all really that clueless about screen resolution vs. font size??? :confused: Those are two completely independent concepts. Default Font sizes too small? Ok, adjust them so they're bigger! What's the big deal?? Same on Windows, same on Linux. This is nothing new, operating system fonts have been scalable for years and years.

Complaining about the default font size is like complaining about the default desktop wallpaper. "Hmmm maybe I should get a Windows PC instead, I really like that grassy field desktop that XP has" :rolleyes:

If they sold a 15" screen that was 4096x3072 I'd get it.

Point #2: You make no mention of what you intend to do with this machine. How are we supposed to know if this hardware is suitable for your tasks if you refuse to share what your tasks are?! Are you editing 1080p HD video? If so, the 1920 screen is just barely big enough. Are you playing 3D games? If so, you might want to consider a smaller resolution to increase your frame rate. Tough to make a recommendation without knowing what the intended use is.....

19. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the advantage of Resolution Independence on a high res screen?

20. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

my main use for the system will be:

- autoCAD / Revit / SketchUp (architectural 3D design)
    - photoshoping etc (no video editing)
    - itunes, iphoto, safari + chatting

that's basically it.

i guess i'll go for the bigger res then ...

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I know you probably really need the portability, but it has to be said, you could get a quad core Mac Pro and 20" ACD for that same price.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Yes, go for it, you won't regret it.

True, only skip the 20" ACD. It's wonderful, but it's not as great as it used to be especially since it's not an HD display and the hi-def17" has almost twice the resolution.

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Same here. I'd rather squint (not much if at all, since my eyesight is good) on a 13.3" 1600*900 than have to scroll, close palettes, zoom, etc. on a lower resolution display.

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

But what about those that can't see? I have a friend whose tried convincing many people from getting a 17" or 15" MacBook Pro simple because the screen is bigger. The MacBook is actually better for them since everything will appear bigger.

25. iMacmatician macrumors 601

How about an OPTION for different resolutions? Like, for 16:9, 1280*720, 1440*810, and 1600*900.

Apple could really do us a favor by doing so.