MBP 17 inch Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Jan 6, 2010.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

My girlfriend recently bought a 17'' Unibody MacBook Pro (the one with the built-in battery). Yesterday, we noticed that the computer was making a noise from the left-hand side.

It sounds like the hard-disk accessing information. Pretty much the sound all PC's make, however, we had never heard the machine make the noise before. She has had the computer for about 2 months.

Our concern is primarily because my older 15'' MBP Unibody is virtually silent and never makes a similar noise.

Is this something that should be checked out by a genius?

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Some drives are noisier than others. My 17" Early 2009 stock drive was rather noisy when seeking. I think it was a Fujitsu. I've since replaced it with a WD 7200RPM 320GB drive, which is virtually silent.

If it seems noisier than normal, then by all means bring it to a Genius and have them check it out.

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

But, hearing the hard drive noise on a MBP is normal? It happens even at random times when we aren't really doing anything. If you are familiar with PCs, it seems to be acting a lot like that. This is my first experience on a Mac and my MBP makes is almost inaudible.

Thanks for the reply.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can check disk activity in Activity Monitor. It might tell you whether you're hearing head load/unload or head seeking sounds.

The system might access the drive even when you're not using it - to swap memory pages, for example.

The 17" might have a different model/manufacturer drive than your MBP's, which could explain the difference in sound. Like I mentioned, my stock 320GB drive was pretty loud (relatively speaking), compared with the drive I had in my older MBP (which was virtually silent) and compared with the drive I replaced it with. I don't think there was anything particularly wrong with the stock Fujitsu - it's just the way they are.

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Take it to a Genius, Loud to you and me might be different than everyone else. My MBP is also silent to an extent. My old MBP was a little noisy after I put in a 320GB 7200k, I upgraded to a 500GB 5400K and I have no issues.

6. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

You can hear the HDD when it's got some load on it. But it shouldn't be that noticeable. If in doubt, take it to apple. Don't chance it.