MBP 2.4 everything is slooow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaupa, May 8, 2008.

1. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hello,
    i have this book for 5 weeks now and everything is slow.
    The main problem is, that my internet connection is way to slow. I have a 16000k connection at home and a way faster connection here at the university, but both feels like a 56k modem. When I turn off the little snitch there is no difference and the network program says it is a 130mbit wireless thing.
    Another Student sitting in the same room has a 2,6 MBP and everything pops up like it was on his harddrive, what is wrong?
    The other thing is, that pdf documents slow down the computer that i even cant zoom accurately or scroll in realtime. Each new page needs a second or two to appear.
    Same in Archicad 11 where its way to slow when zooming in or out!
    I have no other big apps open and CPU is working in normal range (no 100% threads or something like that) and at normal temperatures.
    When I got this machine on 1st of April i did a clean install. Could this be a hardware failure?
    There was an error, which was shown after a hardwaretest from leopard dvd once (4 weeks ago), but never came again. Anyway my dealer has ordered a new logicboard for my mac. But at the time the error occured the machine was running well. (the error had something to do with the powermanagement as google said).
    The CPU behaves normal, as i can see from coolbook and throttles just in time.
    I dont want to reinstall leopard, but if thats the only option i have, i would do that...

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Looks like you got a lemon mate. I'd say bring it in to the doctor for a checkup

3. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

take off coolbook. that's designed to slow things down for heat, maybe its slowing it down too much.

My 2.4 MBP is very zippy. And CPU cool, no need for coolbook.

4. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have or did you try to use it?
    Its nothing about slowing the CPU. You can adjust the voltage of the CPU to get it stay cooler. Sure you can set a temp at which it slows, but i set it to 85°C and i never ever reached that (i can do yes > /dev/null & twice for hours and it will keep below )...
    Yeah, I will give it to the doctor. I hope the spare logicboard will arrive soon!

5. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Wow... lucky doctor... You DID say "I will GIVE it to the doctor":D

I've... errrm... started becoming a Mac repair technician... so... the doctor's here... where's my MBP, lad?:D

6. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt say he is allowed to keep it for himself:)

7. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, everything is up to date. But thanks for the advice.
    I will give it a try without coolbook...

8. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Well,
    I did delete Coolbook and restart the book and it is still the same in Firefox (Safari is even slower) and Acrobat/Preview...

9. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, now I cant reinstall Coolbook. It says "coolbook.php could not be opened". Any idea?

10. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Hello,
    the internet connectivity problem is solved. It was the Java update which slowed it down. Now I deactivated Java in the browser and everything pops up quick.
    Does anyone know how I can delete the Java update?

11. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Little update:
    I got a new logicboard finally! No more crashes since then. Put leopard up new and it runs fine- no turning waiting ball anymore.
    But: PDF documents, sketchup, photoshop and archicad are still slow. As it is the same on some 2.6 penryns i think it is a problem of OS X Leopard. Another student on this university has a macbook 2ghz with Tiger, which runs sketchup even smoother-LOL!
    I am back on XP now and everything works fine.
    What a shame for OS X!
    It is a nice OS to play with because handling is easy and it is good looking. But it is no OS to work with:-((

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I find this statement wrong. Just because your computer is faulty doesn't mean all others are.

13. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i dont think my MBP is faulty any more. Hardware problems are solved and OSX is fresh. My Geekbench and XBench scores are above average for this model. What I say is that OSX (leopard) is lame. And I am not the only one who realizes this. Every MBP I know which runs Leopard is lame working on graphical things. And I know 5 other MBP (2x 2,6/ 1x 2,5/ 2x 2,4Merom).
    The problem with PDF documents is well known although OSX is partly based on that format.
    Did you work on XP and are you able to compare the same program with the same documents or works on the same Hardware to found your statement on?

14. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I should be fair and state that Leopard sucks if those apps are concerned. I dont know many other programms which are available for both systems and use the graphicscard.
    As I need those progs every day Leo is no option for me until it runs them smooth. And for sure I am looking forward to that day because I like this OS!

15. pinksta macrumors newbie

thats rubbish, the whole of adobe CS3 runs great on my macbook pro with no slow down and PDF's have no trouble either.

sorry but there just must be something wrong with your mbp

16. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

Leopard just sucks on your computer. Only you know what kind of junk you have running in the background.

17. planetgenova macrumors newbie

Sounds like there's something wrong with your computer. I've only got a 2.16 GHz MBP running Leopard and I don't have any problems with PDFs or Photoshop. Honestly, unless I'm really doing something really processor intensive in Photoshop I don't see much difference in speed compared to my quad-core desktop machine running Vista.

Are you running a Universal version of Photoshop or is it an older PPC version? What program are you using to view the PDFs? Preview?

18. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    i have nothing running in the background and I open the PDFs with Vorschau (preview).
    The PDF Problem only appears on complex data with graphical content which is not vector based.
    I bet I could open these PDFs on a quad core Mac Pro and it wouldnt run smooth!
    And as I said Leopard not only sucks on my sytem, but on a few other. Tell me, what else can I (and the other) do than just format and put up a fresh OS?
    Must be a big miracle that 6 people from this one university have the same issues with their machines.
    I wonder if there are any architects out there without such problems...

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You must be using old PPC software if it runs slower on OS X than in Windows. Get the Universal Binary patches.

Either this is the case, or something's definitely wrong with your MBP.

P.S. yes, I worked in Windows, but not with the same apps I use in OS simply because there's no Aperture and Final Cut Studio for Windows... But iTunes/QuickTime on Windows is gay.

20. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

There are lots of happy Leopard users out there, and we know our stuff. I use Windows on fast machines every day. I use Windows inside a VM in Fusion. I use Leopard on 5 different machines (2 MacBooks, 2 MBP, and a Mac Mini), and I have none of the problems you are mentioning.

Maybe you and your friends are loading up your systems with stuff you don't need? Coolbook is a good example.

21. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    yes I had coolbook on, but my friends dont. Now my OS is fresh as I mentioned before and there is no difference.
    For the reason I have an other issue since yesterday evening (cant turn the machine off, allways reboots. PRAM reset done) I will have to call Apple today and I will see what happens...

edit: I am sorry for my tone and I dont want to make OS X worse than it is. I am just telling from the experience I am going trough.
    By the way I will give the Apple Store in town a call before (he changed my logic board). They have some other machines there and I will try a PDF on any as I am not allowed to give the data away so you could try.

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I know this aint gonna help your situation,but to mirror what someone else said i also run a cs3 suit on my MBP and everything runs as sweet as a nut including pdf's so again to mirror
    what others are saying there must be something a miss with you pro. Get some apple bod to check it out

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You gotta stop looking at pr0n sites with their OS X oriented viruses. When that things says install, you're not suppose to confirm! ;)

24. Kaupa thread starter macrumors regular

How do you know there are OS X oriented ones, any experience?:D