Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
Which should I get? Id really love the bigger hard drive. I will be using creative suite in the near future.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Depends if you're talking about the 13" or 15". If it's the 13", go 2.4 or wait for the refresh in a couple months. I'd probably go 2.4 for the 15" too, actually. If you want a bigger HD, I'd just buy one and install it, or if you don't feel comfortable with that, custom order it with a bigger drive from apple

deathcab4xtina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2010
I cant order from apple due to the fact that no one is ever home to receive the shipment, and since my only computer died I need something now, If I bought the 13 inch 2.4ghz could I take it somewhere to have the HD upgraded and what would something like that cost? I am worried that 250gb might not be enough.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I cant order from apple due to the fact that no one is ever home to receive the shipment, and since my only computer died I need something now, If I bought the 13 inch 2.4ghz could I take it somewhere to have the HD upgraded and what would something like that cost? I am worried that 250gb might not be enough.

You may be able to have it upgraded, but it's really pretty easy to do yourself. You just need a couple of screwdrivers and a little patience

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I always advice go with the fastest CPU whenever possible. You might need the extra MHz right now, but later on, you may and the CPU is not a user replaceable or upgradable part.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
Googling your query should give you some benchmarks between the two done on Adobe software, mostly photoshop.

I would definitely not get the 2.66 just for the HDD upgrade. The HDD is user replaceable and the Apple doesn't charge you HDD(new) minus HDD(old) for an upgrade, what they charge you is generally more than the price of the new HDD outright.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Save some money by getting the 2.44Ghz and upgrading the HD later on yourself. Unless you require every ounce of processing power, you should find that the difference between those two clock speeds are negligible. You probably will find a faster increase by sticking a SSD in there with the money you saved. But if money is not a factor then go for the faster speed.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
Save some money by getting the 2.44Ghz and upgrading the HD later on yourself. Unless you require every ounce of processing power, you should find that the difference between those two clock speeds are negligible. You probably will find a faster increase by sticking a SSD in there with the money you saved. But if money is not a factor then go for the faster speed.

Totally agree, the SSD will make more difference to the system on the whole than the speed-bump from the cpu which will ONLY benefit some power hungry software, and even then it`s not much faster.
If you can afford it, then by all means get it but it`s probably not the best value for money option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.