MBP 2.66 / 2.9ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 18, 2009.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Will the 2.6 processor give much better battery life over the 2.9?

2. adamjackson macrumors 65816

Battery life? Not that I know of.

From what I've read here, the 2.93 only offers a real world 10% increase in performance. I have the 2.93 w/ 256GB SSD. It's a very fast laptop but was it worth the extra money? I don't think so. I always buy the fastest because the resale value is better. it's just an investment in my opinion.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You do realize that in the end, you will have lost more money, because the resale value will not be higher by the same amount that you paid to upgrade? Upgrades like that are never an investment, especially the SSD.

5. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

electronics are a depreciating value asset. There is no way that paying extra now for the add ons will increase your resell value for the same amount. Be careful buying with that mindset, it could cost you a good bit of cash. But hey if you can afford it, why not right? Stimulate the economy. Be a REAL consumer. :)

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They are both the same TDP, so the difference should be minimal; one the plus side you get thing done a teeny bit faster which equates to more things done—worth it? Not really.

And go in to deep debt while you're at it :rolleyes:

7. macgrl macrumors 65816

No, there shouldn't really be any noticeable difference.

8. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I'd like to lay down solid facts regarding resale value. I buy all of my computers via eBay new & used and I buy a new laptop every 12 months.

I purchased a 2.33Ghz MBP in 2007 for only $1850 it was 2 months old and was still selling on Apple's store for around $2499. it was in perfect condition and was from a US buyer.

In July of 2008, I sold that computer for $2200 after adding ram, hard drive upgrade and upgrading to Leopard and iLife '08. so I came out even after the upgrades but made all of my money back. on a machine that was 15 months old.

I turned around and bought a 2.6Ghz MacBook Pro. I ugprade the ram to 4gbs and the hard drive to 250GB 7200RPM drive. I also bought a new battery. This system was 3 months old from a guy in Kentucky and had a 3 year applecare warranty. I paid $2100 on a machine that cost $2800 custom build (CTO) from apple.

In March of this year when the 2.93 came out, I sold my 2.6 for an astonishing $2,650 on eBay. I actually made 550 on it but after you count the hard drive and ram, I only made $250 but this was after using the machine for 9 months!

I bought this machine sealed and new from a guy in canada for $3,000 and that includes a coupon code that is valid for 3 years of apple care. I got a 2.93Ghz machine w/ 256GB SSD & a 3 year warranty for 3 grand. I spent 3 weeks on eBay looking for the perfect deal and I found it.

I've been doing this for 8 years now on laptops and I either lose $200 on a machine that I bought a year ago or i make $300-$600 on a machine and upgrade to the latest. My method works perfectly but I take extreme care of my notebooks and buy the fastest that Apple makes because the resale value is very high but I buy the fastest machine that apple makes from a person on ebay and not directly from Apple and I save an average of 10%-30% on the retail of that machine and sell it for that same amount of more a year later after adding a few performance upgrades.

Don't call me out for being a stupid consumer and tell me how I'm losing money because I've been doing just fine for years now by doing this. Clearly you're doing it wrong.

oh and furthermore, I actually use windows and prefer it to the Mac OS. The reason i buy macs is for the resale value. I can't do this crap with a dell or gateway but the apple computers have fantastic resell value which no one can deny.

I replied to someone else regarding this below. Here's the direct link.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7639414&postcount=8

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. Both processors use same watt amount.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well not everyone can be winners…

11. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

What about going from a 2.66 CPU to a 3.06...any noticeable difference?

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

use google, you can find accurate benchmarks around. if you are going to do some super heavy vid stuff or like cs4 stuff. but if your not doing said things then no

13. bg002h macrumors newbie

forget the SSD internal drive

get an express/34 card SSD to use as your boot drive (pick carefully!)...sure, its smaller and slower, but it's still 2x as fast as a 7200 rpm drive and gives the same psychological "feel" of a faster computer in that programs just open instantly...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=703852

14. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i just still enjoy programs not taking 30sec. to minutes+ to like they do on PC