MBP 2011 Buzzing Sound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hello880, Aug 18, 2011.

1. hello880 macrumors member

I just got a brand new Macbook Pro yesterday and as soon as I turn it on i notice this blowing sound on the right side next to the CD drive... every few minutes there's a click and it becomes quieter and then click again and then it becomes louder... and on the left side of the laptop there's a faint buzzing sound that gets stronger when I download files. I was wondering if this was normal?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Definitely not. I cannot hear any sound my MBP makes aside from the fans that cut on from time to time. You should definitely take that back and get a new one.

Be sure to explain you hear various sounds inside the machine that do not sound normal. And you worry there might be some internal failing down the road. If you go in with questions, they might turn you around thinking/or wanting to think that it's all in your head (or some other arbitrary reason).

The only sound you should hear is the fans.

3. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure though... would this be the sound of the fans? Are there fans on the right side of the MBP?

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

The fans are inside and push air through the back. See that black flap under the screen? If you pick your computer up and look at it, you'll see groves that come out when the screen is opened. That allows the air from the fans to leave.

Now you could check and, when you hear the sound, see if you feel hot air come out from back there. If not, then something is wrong.

But for the buzzing, I never hear any buzzing, which is why I suggested something might be wrong there. Is the buzzing sort of like rapid ticking? Like really fast ticking?

5. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

The sound on the right is always on though... it turns on as soon as I start up the laptop. The buzzing just sounds like buzzing... I think it may have to do with the ethernet cord or something...

----------

I just listened more carefully and the blowing sound seems to not be coming from the CD Drive but the area between the arrow keys and the touch pad... When I put my hand on that area, the sound seems to go away a bit.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Ah, well yea, that isn't supposed to happen. Or you have amazing hearing and you just hear things that nobody else hears with their machine.

The dampening of sound when you touch it means you are absorbing vibrations. Which is bad. That means something isn't machined right and, unfortunately, you might have problems down the road.

7. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I searched online about this problem more and it seems like a lot of people have this problem... and it's caused by the hard drive. How do you check your hard drive manufacturer?

8. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Click the apple, about this Mac, More Info, then Serial ATA under the left list.

But what I'm saying is that it shouldn't happen at all. Knowing who made the hard drive doesn't help the fact that it isn't operating as it "normally" should.

9. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

MBP 2011 Buzzing Sound?

I have a brand new Macbook Pro that makes a buzzing sound on the left side whenever I scroll/download something or load a webpage... does anyone know the cause of this?

10. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

11. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Loud or very silent?

But you should go to a store and tell them; you shouldn't hear any sounds while using the machine other than the fan.

12. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

2011 13" MBP High Pitched Buzzing Noise?

I have a fairly new MBP 13" that makes a high pitched buzz in the front of the laptop between the command key and the track pad and to the left side of the computer... there's also some kind of static noise. The sounds get stronger after the laptop goes to sleep and wakes back up. Opening Photo Booth or keeping the laptop busy decreases the sound by a lot. Does anyone know the cause of this? :/

13. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I have something very similar to what you described, but I found that it only occurs when I have Chrome running.

Is your noise at all related to Chrome?

14. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I hear the noise as soon as my laptop wakes up from sleep, no matter what app is running :(

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

16. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

How could I get it fixed?

17. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Fixed? Electronics make noise. They just do. Listen to your TV, router, and power brick.

18. hello880 thread starter macrumors member

I used to have a different MBP until I got it switched and the old one did not have a noise this loud :( I can hear the high pitched buzz from pretty far away and it gives me a headache when I'm working in quiet rooms.

19. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

If it's that bad, then it's definitely not normal. Call Apple and make a lot of noise about it and they'll eventually do something for you.

20. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Ram makes noise? That's the first time I've heard that.

Are you going to say that SSD's make noise also?

21. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Put your ear up to an iPod Nano (solid state) while it's playing music.

Good game.

22. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I can't believe RAM or SSD could be making so much noise that is becomes annoying, when it's relatively inaudible.

A HDD is significantly more audible with it's constant clicking on and off and spin ups.

23. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The OP stated the sound was coming from the left side of the computer. The HDD is on the right and the sound is coming from the left. I hear an electric hum on the left as well. It's near the RAM and the connector from the battery to the motherboard.

At any rate, if it can be heard from any distance other than immediately in front of the computer, it's a problem.

RAM does not make that much sound, which is why I later said it was a real problem and not just the normal operation.

24. Nocky24 macrumors member

I'd put money on it being the inverter. Put your ear to the front left side of your mbp near the ethernet port and turn your brightness up and down from 0 to max. I can't imagine it being much else really.

25. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Inverters for an LED display?

Do you mean the DC-in board? The part that connects the magsafe to the motherboard?

That normally only makes sound when charging at low battery-percentage, and less as the battery is more charged.

There are a lot of components that will make noise in a computer. The CPU, DC-board, RAM, hard drive, bus controllers (now integrated in the CPU on Nehalem chips) and other controllers on the motherboard.