MBP 2011 doesn't start most of the time(High Sierra?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick7777, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Patrick7777 macrumors newbie

Hey there,
    I've got a MacBook Pro 15" from Beginning 2011.
    Since a few weeks it freezes on startup (white screen with apple logo and progress bar on 60%)
    I've tried PRAM/NVRAM, SMC, Apple hardware check(no failures), and I switched the RAM-modules vice verca, even a new hard disk cable.
    Nothing helped.

Then I installed a small SSD for testing and installed HighSierra. After that everything seemed to work fine, I restartet about 30 times, without problems.
    So I thought it is the hard disk.
    I bought a new 500GB SSD and installed HighSierra again. All seemed fine so far.

Yesterday I installed the newest updates.
    After that my MBP froze and showed me a completely red picture when I wanted to start the photos-app.

Now the MBP is not starting again. After the white screen with apple logo and progress bar(60%) the picture turns black and all fans are running on 100%.

Does anybody have any ideas?:(

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The GPU has failed and there is no way to fix it without replacing the GPU chip.

Unfortunately, the extended warranty for this issue has expired.

I had a late 2011 15" i7 that exhibited similar symptoms.

3. Patrick7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I got the MBP starting again to the Desktop.
    It restarts reliable, that as soon as I want to open 'Photos', 'Photo Booth', or 'Grapher', it freezes and shows a red screen. Sometimes the windows comes back, with everything red around.
    So I can kick it in the trash or will it might help to downgrade to Siera?

4. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I agree with @Audit13 , it seems you GPU is failing but there is a workaround. You can disable the dGPU and use only the integrated one.

I did it to mine using this guide: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-on-a-2011-macbook-pro-grub-solution.2087527/

Still works fine to this date but it can't run most GPU demanding tasks and you have to re-disable the GPU for every major upgrade (not a big issue for you since you're already at one of the latest big upgrade available for that model.)

5. Patrick7777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, you are right obviously. I played with gfxCardStatus, and as soon as it uses the dedicated gpu it crashes.
    What are those "sleep issues" mentioned in your link?
    As I need to run Windows as well I think there is no solution under windows, isn't it?

6. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

You may be able to use Windows by disabling the Radeon GPU in device manager.

7. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I used to have some issues bringing it back from sleep when I used another method but with the one link I have no issue at all.

Windows should run too once the fix is applied, it's done before any OS is loaded.

8. KevinRightWing macrumors regular

www.powerbookmedic.com charges about $300 to replace the GPU if you send it in to them. Also comes with a warranty.

9. sphere2018 macrumors newbie

Im done with MBP. I got an iMAC. No more fan issues, no heat, no noise. Larger screen. Better sound system. Less money. Simply fantastic.

10. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

Any issue carrying it in your backpack? :D

11. sphere2018 macrumors newbie