MBP: 2011 or 2012

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maccalicious, Aug 4, 2011.

  1. Maccalicious macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2011
    Hi guys,

    I am currently owning an old Dell PC, and it is annoying me so much that I've decided to buy a mac, a macbook pro.

    The only issue I have is that I hate my tech being outdated.

    When do you guys think the MBP will be upgraded and is it worth waiting for ?


    PS: I am planning on buying the high-end 13 inch model
  2. Maccalicious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2011
    It says it will take 54 more days, but is that reliable?

    And do you think it is worth waiting for ?
  3. harrisondavies macrumors 6502


    Nov 21, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Buy it now, you won't regret it. There's always better around the corner, if you bought 2012, there's always 2013 to better it....don't fight it.
  4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020


    Jul 19, 2010
    The chances of a new model coming out in exactly 54 days are slim; the guide estimates based on the refresh patterns of previous models. I would hold out though, Apple is allegedly working on a thinner model.
  5. Maccalicious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2011
    @harrisondavies true that, but the chance of a big, internal and external, upgrade is pretty high and I would slap myself in the face if I am sitting behind my desk on a cold november evening seeing how the refresh is so much faster and better
  6. VeganHipster macrumors regular

    Jun 18, 2011
    You could buy a Mac mini and use that until the new MacBook pros come out. I don't think there is a point in buying now because Ivy Bridge is just around the corner and MacBook Pro is late in its life kind or.

    It sounds like you need it pretty bad though!
  7. cambookpro, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

    cambookpro macrumors 603


    Feb 3, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure how much better you could get than a quad-core i7! If there is a refresh end of this year, most likely they'll change the case and nothing else, similar to the late 2008 refresh. The bad boy Ivy Bridge chipsets will come out Q2 2012.
  8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040


    Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    A real refresh wont come until 2012 with the Ivy Bridge CPUs, Better GPUs, New design, etc. Will it make the 2011 completely inferior? No, it will still be a beast.

    The 2011 refresh if any, will be minor adjustments as the 2011 Early models just came out.

    Buy now, I wouldnt keep waiting.
  9. knarzie macrumors regular

    Aug 5, 2008
    MBPs won't see a proper upgrade until early 2012
  10. applefan289 macrumors 68000

    Aug 20, 2010
    If it were me, I would buy it now. They just updated them in February.

    Although I have heard that the next Macbook Pro will be redesigned.
  11. hooneyrob macrumors member

    Jul 29, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I've ordered one and the same thing is on my mind but I need to work on video now for business plus, as others are saying, major upgrades may not come til next year and these laptops hold their value well.. There's always the option to sell up and put a few hundred to the latest model if required.

    Tech is always outdates within months.. Do you need the laptop right now?
  12. Maccalicious thread starter macrumors newbie

    Aug 1, 2011
    @hooneyrob: No, I don't need it right now, but I don't want to wait till -let's say- April/May, because my PC is annoying and slow, although it still works
  13. DKTacts macrumors member

    May 16, 2010
    I would definitely wait for 2012 - there are a lot of rumors of a chasis redesign which in my opinion would be worth waiting for - especially if the purchase isn't urgent.
  14. designs216 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    When faced with the same dilemma, I decided to wait to see what the 2012 model offers. When the refresh occurs, I'll weigh the new features against the great savings to be had on a 2011 refurb.
  15. driveparty macrumors member


    Apr 19, 2008
    Russia / USA
    I'm waiting the '12 upgrade because of newer Intel chipsets and processors. The first ones will bring USB 3.0 to the Mac, the second ones should be as much as 30-50% lower in power demands, which means back again to the real 7-9 hours of battery life for MBP. ALso maybe(?!) Apple would change their mind about 13" MBP optical drives, and we'll see discrete graphics on the 13 inch models at last :)
  16. Man9z0r macrumors regular


    Feb 25, 2011
    SLO, CA
    I would just get one now! The 2011 model is great and pro forms very well! You can play the waiting game forever. They will have some of the rumors on the 2012 and then the rumors will move to 2013 it go on and on! Plus Macs have a great resale value so as long as you take care of it you might you lose 100-200 bucks but at least you have it now!

    This is kind of the downfall of reading rumor sites right now everything is iPhone then it will be another product. The rumors will just keep coming! :D
  17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I hate when people give advice while stating opinion as fact. The truth is nobody know when the update will be or how big the update will be.

    The refresh history suggests a refresh could occur around the Sept-Oct timeframe, but if you notice Apple seems to be lengthening the time between refreshes. The last two mbp updates were 100 days longer than the avg, which would place the update into early January. But in April there was a rumor that the next mbp refresh would be a new case design that wouldn't occur till 2012. The next MBP may wait till they can use the ivy bridge chip which is rumored to not be added to Macs untill April of 2012. Although the most recent rumor says that the redesigned mbp's are expected to be released before Christmas. So in summary of these rumors, the next mbp's could be released anytime from Sept 2011 - April 2012 (an 8 month period...)

    You will get lots of opinions from both sides here at MR and I agree with them both. In one side we have....
    "Go ahead and buy now. There will always be something bigger and better coming out and you can wait forever. Don't wait because of rumors because it might not come true, it might be longer than you think, you might not even like the new design, you may start to hear rumors of the NEXT update and how awesome that one will be. Imagine how much time you will have wasted on a PC that you aren't happy with when you could actually be enjoying your computer!"

    Then on the other side...
    "If you can wait do it. The current model has been out for 6 months and according to the buyers guide is expected to have a new model within 2 months. The next model is supposed to be a major update, possibly being thinner, lighter, faster and better battery life! You will have buyers remorse if you buy new and less than 2 months later a super awesome upgrade comes out. Technology moves so quickly that it is always best practice to get things as new and current as possible."

    The reality is both are good arguments. Only YOU can decide how badly you want it now.
  18. iMav macrumors 6502


    Jun 20, 2008
    Columbus, WI
    I will probably wait till the next significant refresh. I don't have a need right now (am limping by with other hardware).

    Got rid of my baby MBA (the battery life was too poor for me, given all the other compromises). So I will likely go with a brand new 15.4" MBP pimped out once something new is released.

Share This Page