MBP 2015 15 half dead, get a new Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by technano, May 15, 2019.

1. technano macrumors member

One night, after returning back from the library I took out my MBP to continue revision. To my horror, it starts to show flickering display, lines and all sorts of distorted displayed. Disappointed. Reattach LVDS display cable. Nope doesn't work.

and I had no idea why this even happen. I did not drop it on the ground or etc.

However, if I plug it to an external monitor/display, Yes it works.

Question.
    I do have a 2010 MBP 17 inch (Macbook collector here btw). it's working 100% with no issues etc. I'm contemplating to sell it off to fund for a new Macbook. Decided to check up Apple Singapore's prices, wasn't totally dismayed as I already knew that the new line of MacBook Pro are expensive with a long history of issue with keyboard and flexgate.

Should I, at this point get a new Macbook or should I continue to wait. However, prior to this negative situation, I was already pondering to get a Thinkpad and continue my exploration with Linux and also continue "the play" with Thinkpad

2. theapplehead macrumors 6502

theapplehead

I would wait to see what 2019 has to offer for MacBook Pros. A new upgrade should be released in July, though it may be marginal. You could also consider purchasing a used 2015 to replace yours or taking yours to an Apple Store to maybe get it repaired.

Good luck!

3. technano thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I’m actually waiting for 2019’s and looking out for rumours. Surprisingly I didn’t find anything much.

At the same time, I would also book an appointment at Apple store. Sigh,

4. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the display which is something that could be repaired though I don't know what the cost would be. It's a tough choice these days given the 2016-2018 hardware issues. I have 2014 and 2015 MacBook Pros so I have a backup. If I had to get a machine today, it would be a 2015. If it had to be a new machine, I'd get a ThinkPad. Apple will really have to up their game in 2019 because the Windows Mobile Workstations are leaving Apple hardware in the dust.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Put it on eBay. With.a correct description obviously. Your MacBook Pro has just turned itself into a Mac mini, just flatter and wider than usual. Or if you need a server, you can use it for that. The only problem is that a user needs an external keyboard and mouse. I used a very old MacBook for several years that way.

6. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I would get it checked out, the 2015 is still decent. You don't have to spend the money on the repair, just get an estimate from Apple, then decide.