MBP 2015 Shuts Down Randomly

10G

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Hoping someone can help me with this.
My son has a 2015 Macbook Pro that has started just shutting down randomly, it goes from working to totally dropping off dead.

It does it on battery and when plugged in.

I've gone through it and reset the SMC and PRAM but that hasn't made any difference. I suspect it's a hardware issue but don't know where to start???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

zarathu

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2003
Hoping someone can help me with this.
My son has a 2015 Macbook Pro that has started just shutting down randomly, it goes from working to totally dropping off dead.

It does it on battery and when plugged in.

I've gone through it and reset the SMC and PRAM but that hasn't made any difference. I suspect it's a hardware issue but don't know where to start???

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Download Coconut battery:
https://coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

Ive seen many times although even in brand new batteries the design capacity drops to '0' and the machine cuts out even on its on wall power like the attached screenshot....I had to take this with my phone as I cant keep the machine alive long enough to take a regular screenshot!
Hmm this is interesting. I just did a new post on this forum for a problem with my 15" mid-2014 MacBook Pro now all of a sudden having abrupt freezing/shutting down issues. I assumed it wasn't battery related because while the issue does happens more on battery, it does happen while on AC Power as well. But it sounds like you're saying a battery issue could still effect the computer even when on Power. I really hope this is the issue because resolving that would be a hell of a lot cheaper than having to (I assume) replace the logic board.
- - Post merged: - -

Alright just downloaded Coconut Battery and ran it. Here's a screenshot of it's status. Anything I should look for to help narrow down if it's the battery or something else?
Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 10.03.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.