MBP 2016- Keyboard is loud

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by digitalfx, Nov 17, 2016.

1. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Received my BTO MBPro 2016 yesterday and am very impressed with the build quality. The best looking and built MBP to date (upgrading from late 2014 model). While I love the new keyboard, it is extremely loud and has an unusual sound.

When in a meeting everyone looks at you.

Will this soften over time?

2. Petey-ed macrumors 6502

It's quieter than the 12" Macbook I can tell you this.

3. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

It's louder yes, maybe use less force to type. And I doubt it will soften overtime.

4. ZestyOne macrumors member

ZestyOne

Also wondering if it softens down over time.

It is nice when I'm coding and I get huge vim combos however.

5. mortenandersen, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

I think it is very unwise of Apple to make a laptop keyboard that makes such a loud noise when writing, as MacBooks often are used in places where silence is wanted or needed (libraries and other places/settings).

Will Apple make a change, so that the mechanical clicking noise will disappear? If someone likes this clicking noise, I am sure that an app can be activated to make a clicking noise to those users who like it.

In fact, there are now iOS writing apps for the iPad that has options in the settings for the iPad keyboard to create a clicking noise.

6. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

my 2012 softened and got quieter after a while. Maybe these things need broken in now

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

The mechanical clicking noise itself is only a small portion of the sound. Most of the sound is likely due to bottoming out the keys hard. As suggested, try typing with a bit less force.

Edit - the trick with this kind of keyboard is to try and feel the 'click' of the key as your trigger mechanism rather than the feel of the key bottoming out.

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

It is louder, but I have been in many meetings with people with the Surface Pro, not close to as loud as that keyboard.

9. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm not really sure it's louder, but it certainly makes a "chunkier" noise that's more noticeable.

10. MareLuce macrumors 6502

Is it 100% a noise generated by the physical keys, or is it a software noise?

11. cmaier macrumors G3

physical

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Maybe that semi-hot chick that sits across from you in the meeting will look at you more!

13. Westbrook0 macrumors member

Personally, I love audio feedback when I type. It's such a pleasurable feeling!

14. digitalfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

its 1000% louder than the 2014 MBPro. And typing "lighter" as suggested is just silly...its not possible to type light enough too make any significant difference unless you deliberately touched each key one at a time very cautiously...who has time or patience for this, and why would you even think this is a valid option?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about typing lighter.

As for whether it's louder or not, i have my magic keyboard sitting right next to it. They clearly make different sounds. The MBP makes a sound like a "clunk" in a lower register than the magic keyboard (which sounds much more like my old MBP). But I can't tell that one is louder than the other. The MBP is certainly more distinct and could be more distracting.

16. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

I don't want to type slow tho

17. digitalfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

The typing lighter comment was in response to the posts above yours.

Regarding louder, if you read my first post I said its louder than my "late 2014 MBP"...and yes indeed its significantly louder. Not different, not clunkier...its louder. The late 2014 keyboard is silent compared to this MBP.

18. cmaier macrumors G3

My previous MBP was also a late 2014 15" MBP and I disagree.

19. digitalfx thread starter macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Maybe I have a magic keyboard then...no one can hear me type on my old computer, but when I use the new MBP in a meeting, everyone looks at me. The difference is night and day.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, I mean who would want to actively try and improve their skill on something they spend much of every day doing? LOL.

Nobody who teaches typing technique will tell you to bang away at the keys. That's asking for a RSI.

Just try to feel the activation point of the key and you will make a LOT less noise on these keyboards.

21. cmaier macrumors G3

Again, it could be the pitch and not just the volume. I made a video to compare.

22. hajime macrumors 68030

23. vddobrev macrumors regular

You are banging on the keyboard, of course it will be loud, try to type softly.

24. cmaier macrumors G3

Sigh. The point of the video is that with the same amount of force, both keyboards are equal volume but different pitch.

25. 8692574 Suspended

In a sentence....

"You are typing it wrong!"

Had to let that out of my system... but yes it is definetly not a good thing, another "cons" of this newest generation devices!