MBP 2016- Keyboard is loud

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
Received my BTO MBPro 2016 yesterday and am very impressed with the build quality. The best looking and built MBP to date (upgrading from late 2014 model). While I love the new keyboard, it is extremely loud and has an unusual sound.

When in a meeting everyone looks at you.

Will this soften over time?

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
It's louder yes, maybe use less force to type. And I doubt it will soften overtime.

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
I think it is very unwise of Apple to make a laptop keyboard that makes such a loud noise when writing, as MacBooks often are used in places where silence is wanted or needed (libraries and other places/settings).

Will Apple make a change, so that the mechanical clicking noise will disappear? If someone likes this clicking noise, I am sure that an app can be activated to make a clicking noise to those users who like it.

In fact, there are now iOS writing apps for the iPad that has options in the settings for the iPad keyboard to create a clicking noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: emailnotebox

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005
The mechanical clicking noise itself is only a small portion of the sound. Most of the sound is likely due to bottoming out the keys hard. As suggested, try typing with a bit less force.

Edit - the trick with this kind of keyboard is to try and feel the 'click' of the key as your trigger mechanism rather than the feel of the key bottoming out.

Reactions: Queen6

Lobwedgephil

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2012
It is louder, but I have been in many meetings with people with the Surface Pro, not close to as loud as that keyboard.

Reactions: HenryDJP

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Is it 100% a noise generated by the physical keys, or is it a software noise?

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
I'm not really sure it's louder, but it certainly makes a "chunkier" noise that's more noticeable.
its 1000% louder than the 2014 MBPro. And typing "lighter" as suggested is just silly...its not possible to type light enough too make any significant difference unless you deliberately touched each key one at a time very cautiously...who has time or patience for this, and why would you even think this is a valid option?

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
its 1000% louder than the 2014 MBPro. And typing "lighter" as suggested is just silly...its not possible to type light enough too make any significant difference unless you deliberately touched each key one at a time very cautiously...who has time or patience for this, and why would you even think this is a valid option?
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about typing lighter.

As for whether it's louder or not, i have my magic keyboard sitting right next to it. They clearly make different sounds. The MBP makes a sound like a "clunk" in a lower register than the magic keyboard (which sounds much more like my old MBP). But I can't tell that one is louder than the other. The MBP is certainly more distinct and could be more distracting.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about typing lighter.

As for whether it's louder or not, i have my magic keyboard sitting right next to it. They clearly make different sounds. The MBP makes a sound like a "clunk" in a lower register than the magic keyboard (which sounds much more like my old MBP). But I can't tell that one is louder than the other. The MBP is certainly more distinct and could be more distracting.
The typing lighter comment was in response to the posts above yours.

Regarding louder, if you read my first post I said its louder than my "late 2014 MBP"...and yes indeed its significantly louder. Not different, not clunkier...its louder. The late 2014 keyboard is silent compared to this MBP.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California

Regarding louder, if you read my first post I said its louder than my "late 2014 MBP"...and yes indeed its significantly louder. Not different, not clunkier...its louder. The late 2014 keyboard is silent compared to this MBP.
My previous MBP was also a late 2014 15" MBP and I disagree.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2007
My previous MBP was also a late 2014 15" MBP and I disagree.
Maybe I have a magic keyboard then...no one can hear me type on my old computer, but when I use the new MBP in a meeting, everyone looks at me. The difference is night and day.

Reactions: mortenandersen

zhenya

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, I mean who would want to actively try and improve their skill on something they spend much of every day doing? LOL.

Nobody who teaches typing technique will tell you to bang away at the keys. That's asking for a RSI.

Just try to feel the activation point of the key and you will make a LOT less noise on these keyboards.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Maybe I have a magic keyboard then...no one can hear me type on my old computer, but when I use the new MBP in a meeting, everyone looks at me. The difference is night and day.
Again, it could be the pitch and not just the volume. I made a video to compare.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
In a sentence....

"You are typing it wrong!"

Had to let that out of my system... but yes it is definetly not a good thing, another "cons" of this newest generation devices!

Reactions: mortenandersen