Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Hi -

I have a 2016 15" MBP (2.9 Ghz, 16GB, 1TB SSD). I recently noticed regions on the screen that are darker and different from the rest of the display. They are kind of like "stains". They form a semi-symmetrical circular pattern in the middle of the display. A screen grab does not capture the effect - unless it is being looked at on the display of the MBP. External monitors do not display the anomaly, suggesting it's the actual monitor and not the video hardware?

I have Apple Care but am in the middle of a big project and am waiting to finish the project before I contact Apple to get them to fix it. Does anyone else have a similar issue? It's quiet annoying, especially for how much I paid for this machine....

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
2016 and 2017 all have the same problem with this at random region, and the deeper you look, you will notice that left and right side of the screen have different color. Some can notice some cannot. Taking it to Apple store they will just reset your machine and give you back with 0 changes. (Been through that already, and give up)

There is nothing you can do about it, except get a generation older MBP.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
It's generally a user fault this one.

Look at your display at the dead centre, then shift your head to the left and right. Notice the colour changes at all? That's because the light is going through glass, which is refracting the wavelength slightly.

Anyway, as to dark swirly random patterns, could you post an image? Aside from summoning the dark lord, I've not heard of this one before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Here is an image. Not sure how this could be a "user fault this one" as you proclaim.

It seems to only be noticeable when the background is a solid color.

MBP screen.png

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Wow, it looks like you took a picture using flash. That's a huge variance in brightness. Haven't seen any brightness variances like that since the white spots epidemic that afflicted the late 2003 Aluminium PBG4s (Apple did a warranty extension for that issue).

Just to be clear I'm not saying flash was used. The center being so much brighter gives it that affect to me.

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
Wow, it looks like you took a picture using flash. That's a huge variance in brightness. Haven't seen any brightness variances like that since the white spots epidemic that afflicted the late 2003 Aluminium PBG4s (Apple did a warranty extension for that issue).

Just to be clear I'm not saying flash was used. The center being so much brighter gives it that affect to me.

It's even clearer to see in person, it's hard to capture it with an iPhone camera. And yes, I can confirm no flash was used.

So it sounds like this is different from what others have seen, and should be taken care of by Apple?

Reactions: Rocko99991

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
@TheScavenger - using the following code in terminal

ioreg -lw0 | grep "EDID" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
yields the following (which Google provided no useful information)

Color LCD
q8-@X,E
CBLMTF241709

anyone know?

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
@New_Mac_Smell Here is an image. Not sure how this could be a "user fault this one" as you proclaim.

It seems to only be noticeable when the background is a solid color.

View attachment 711045

Having seen the image, I have indeed seen computers resembling this particular problem before. Most often it is the result of liquid damage or improper cleaning techniques. If this was present from day one, it is a return, if it has developed, you need to request counsel with Apple to discuss repair options. It is most likely a screen replacement, as long as it hasn't been caused by yourself.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
@New_Mac_Smell I
I can confirm that I have never cleaned my screen, and it has never been exposed to liquids.

So I'm only trying to help you here... You'll need to take it to Apple to have it fixed, but they're going to ask you these questions you see. The only things that normally cause that are liquid or pressure damage, hence I asked. Another possibility is humidity (still liquid damage).

Normally something like that should be immediately obvious and wouldn't pass QC. As it stands you say it's only recently developed, or at least you've only recently noticed it? Which is normally an environmental factor over the lifespan, there is always the chance of a faulty screen since production, however and again to help, it is odd to develop this way.

So just know all that going in so you have answers.

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
@Rocko99991 - just did the chat. They had me confirm that it persisted after resetting the NVRAM and is also present in recovery mode. They told me I will have to bring it into a store to get it repaired. I will have to find a convenient time to be without my MBP for a week and then take it in. Thanks for all your help. I'll follow up once it's all concluded.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
@Rocko99991 - just did the chat. They had me confirm that it persisted after resetting the NVRAM and is also present in recovery mode. They told me I will have to bring it into a store to get it repaired. I will have to find a convenient time to be without my MBP for a week and then take it in. Thanks for all your help. I'll follow up once it's all concluded.

Hopefully it won't take a week. I have heard some people having it fixed that day.

Reactions: Kinji

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
good to know, but unfortunately I'm in the middle of a big project and will probably still have to wait a bit until it settles down. I can't risk not having my computer, even if it's only just a day or two.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
good to know, but unfortunately I'm in the middle of a big project and will probably still have to wait a bit until it settles down. I can't risk not having my computer, even if it's only just a day or two.
I hear that. I have multiple laptops for work/home in case one goes down-but they are not MBP quality or cost, just older Thinkpads.

patrickplaggenborg

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Not sure if it's the same problem or cause, but I experienced something similar with dark areas on my screen that were very obvious on solid coloured backgrounds:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ro-2016-with-touch-bar.2024441/#post-24128272

I got it replaced as well. My new MacBook Pro screen was perfect, and still is 8 months later.

So you should be good after a replacement as well. Don't wait too long ;-)

Reactions: Kinji

Kinji

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
@patrickplaggenborg - Didn't see your replay for a while. Your problem looks very similar to mine, different shapes but same type of discoloration. I was finally able to take it into an Apple store this weekend and was told it'd take 3-5 days to get it back. Did they fix your screen, or replace your whole MBP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.