Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddjedi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
I do know it's not HTML5 which is Safari and most other modern browsers preferred video playback method, I can see that from the source code. Why don't you phone up the BBC and ask them seeing as this seems to be ruining your life?

If you're suggesting we can't use Netflix or BBC Iplayer because they're not Apple .. well...

Your use of the word "can't" is misleading, have you ever actually not been able to watch a video? Has it ever shut down because of the heat/fan? Watching a video with the fan running is not the same as not watching a video at all.

timbals

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
I think you missed one of my main points....I'm not expecting this to perform like a 15" MBP. Is it unreasonable to assume that the nTB would be able to handle an external 1080p monitor with a few simple apps (Safari, IINA, and Powerpoint), which is my most common usage...And yes, thats all Im using, and the lag and issues arise with just these apps. And sometimes theres unusually high CPU usage when I'm not even doing anything, I'll just be at the desktop and the animations feel choppy and slow. So, I'd appreciate it if you stopped making it seem like I think this is some sort of super computer that should be able to handle whatever I throw at it, because I spent a lot of money on it.

I'm just expecting it to handle these simple tasks, however, it randomly appears to struggle with them. Sometimes it runs well, sometimes it doesnt - for the same set of apps. I guess my best approach at this point would be a clean reinstall of High Sierra, and then use time machine to bring my documents over..and reinstall my apps from scratch?

Had the same problem with a custom build 16gb i7 nTB, there wasn't a solution and all the store demo models I tried were the same. Unfortunately had to return the nTB for a touch bar model and its much better in that respect, but the battery life is awful...

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Are you sure you're not seeking to direct every possible question about the nTB model to your own thread?

4K is a lot of pixels for a computer without a GPU to provide. No idea how you somehow equivocate price with performance, when the bulk of that price if it was £1800 would be in the storage, so really not sure how a larger SSD would make a difference to perception of general performance.

Look, the nTB is the base model, it is not equivalent to the TB versions. It uses a lower wattage CPU and so if you stress it, it'll get hotter quicker. Don't think the nTB and the 15" Pro are in anyway the same machine, it's like comparing a MacBook Air to a MBP, or a Mini to an iMac, you wouldn't expect an Air with its weaker performance to be able to do what the MBP can. I appreciate the naming is odd and confusing, but the nTB version is the replacement for the cMBP that was on sale. I.e. lower performance designed for companies within the MacOS environment to populate employees without the added cost when it's not needed for the bulk of work.

So don't buy a nTB version if you plan on doing anything performance based, buy a similar priced and better specced Windows computer instead. Only buy a nTB version if you absolutely must, if you need the MacOS environment or just need a basic computer. But don't be fooled into thinking it's just as good as the other models, think of it more 4 years ago when the option was cMPB or a rMBP, it was way more obvious then and sadly isn't now and I blame Apples bizarre current lineup for that, you've got 3 computers (rMB/Air/nTB-MBP) all in a similar category, specs wise littler to differentiate them, only price, and people still seem to think that spending more money will result in a better product without taking into account the cost of the actual product before speccing it out.

Anyway, if your computer is overheating (I.E. shutting down and failing) then take it in to Apple. If it's just getting hot and the fans are running, it just means it's trying to cool the system. If this bothers you, then you should think about getting a different computer or developing a better understanding of computers before your next purchase.
" I appreciate the naming is odd and confusing, but the nTB version is the replacement for the cMBP that was on sale."

Worse than that---on stage Schiller strongly implied its a replacement for the Air.

bhatiak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Had the same problem with a custom build 16gb i7 nTB, there wasn't a solution and all the store demo models I tried were the same. Unfortunately had to return the nTB for a touch bar model and its much better in that respect, but the battery life is awful...

Did you return it within the 14 day window? I'm wondering if apple would let me exchange and pay the difference if its out of that 2 week window...I didn't really use my MBP for anything more than simple browsing for the first two weeks. So, I didnt realize that such simple tasks would be a problem.

Although, I think it might just be an issue with the software/OS or hardware right now...I'll be away from my MBP for 30 minutes, come back and wake it, and kernel task CPU usage will be at 45% or something like that..Doesnt make any sense lmao

nanoarmando

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
Hello guys! I bought the macbook pro 2017 with i5 at 2.3GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, and i found that it's specifically the problem. its a big difference between frequencies (unlike version touchbar ranging from 3.1GHz to 3.5GHz). I dont know why apple has managed so bad this thing about how the turbo boost should work, which means that for any task no matters how simpler is, the processor will use the turbo boost, which triggers a unnecessary heat on the machine.

Finally I found the solution manually deactivating the turbo boost and activating it only when I really need it.

There are several applications that allow you to do that as "Turbo Boost Switcher" or "Endurance"

Doing this usually does not have any disadvantages (the processor will work most of the time at the base speed that was designed) and if there are many advantages such as less heat, less fan utilization and less noise. You can usually do your tasks like surfing, watching videos or checking your emails without worrying about the heat. Finally my mac actually runs at 45ºC avg all day, no fans, no noise.

I hope this information helps you.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardLloyd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.