Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shavou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Hey guys,

Is there a way to know (using intel power gadget / istat menu) which is the highest frequency achieved in a specific timeframe?

I’ve got the new 2018 MBP i9 and I’m running some tests...I’d be interested to know the highest frequency achieved in the last 24 hours if possible?

Thanks

Last edited:

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I thought that you could start a log file with Intel power gadget. I haven't tried the newest release from 2 weeks ago to positively confirm.

shavou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Same here, for brief periods of time. That’s the reason why I got it in the first place.

Right, thanks guys.
But how to know this without having to stare at the Intel Power Gadget?

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Right, thanks guys.
But how to know this without having to stare at the Intel Power Gadget?

Why do you need to stare at the tool? How about you just enjoy using your device normally? If you are not convinced, return it for an i7 or something else.

shavou

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2018
Why do you need to stare at the tool? How about you just enjoy using your device normally? If you are not convinced, return it for an i7 or something else.

Simple. Because as I’ve said I’m running some tests and I want to know the highest frequency the MBP is actually capable to get vs the 4.8 GHz advertised by Apple.

I’m trying to understand which software between Capture 1 and Lightroom exploits the most out of my machine or which of the two requires the highest frequency (to look at the same thing from a different perspective).

I need to know after having spent £3700 how much of the advertised speed I’m actually getting ...

I think it’s fair after all...

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Simple. Because as I’ve said I’m running some tests and I want to know the highest frequency the MBP is actually capable to get vs the 4.8 GHz advertised by Apple.

I’m trying to understand which software between Capture 1 and Lightroom exploits the most out of my machine or which of the two requires the highest frequency (to look at the same thing from a different perspective).

I need to know after having spent £3700 how much of the advertised speed I’m actually getting ...

I think it’s fair after all...

No one got to 4.8 GHz. Not here. Not on YouTube. The only time you can get that high is if you use 2 cores only out of the 6. It does not seem like you can push all 6 at 4.8 GHz. Max I have seen was around 4.4 GHz and only for 2 seconds then it drops to around 3.3 GHz. If utilization stands at 100% for long it can drop to 2.8 GHz.

Qaulity

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2018
No one got to 4.8 GHz. Not here. Not on YouTube. The only time you can get that high is if you use 2 cores only out of the 6. It does not seem like you can push all 6 at 4.8 GHz. Max I have seen was around 4.4 GHz and only for 2 seconds then it drops to around 3.3 GHz. If utilization stands at 100% for long it can drop to 2.8 GHz.

vtudio got 4.8ghz. It's part of TVB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.