• Off

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
So, how taxing is filevault on a MBP. I'm thinking of getting the 15, and I know it asks you if you want to set it up when you first turn it on. Is it super taxing? Does it affect application performance?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
It really isn't noticeable in normal usage. I enabled it when I setup my new rMBP and it seems fast to me.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So, how taxing is filevault on a MBP. I'm thinking of getting the 15, and I know it asks you if you want to set it up when you first turn it on. Is it super taxing? Does it affect application performance?
Doesn't tax it much. On my late-2013 13" rMBP, speeds were:

1. 750MB/s read, 720MB/s write w/o FV.
2. 730MB/s read, 690MB/s write w/ FV.

So not too much.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I suppose my main question is, If I decide to load Diablo 3 up. Am I going to see an FPS drop with this on.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
How do I set those three up. Can you do it after the fact as I've already setup and started using my new 2015 13" MacBook Pro.
Yes you can.

For Find my Mac, go to System Prefs → iCloud and scroll to the bottom to activate it.

For EFI password, boot into Recovery and once in Recovery, click on Utilities in the top menu bar and select firmware password utility.

For FileVault, go to System Prefs → Security and enable FileVault.

Mr.C

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes you can.

For Find my Mac, go to System Prefs → iCloud and scroll to the bottom to activate it.

For EFI password, boot into Recovery and once in Recovery, click on Utilities in the top menu bar and select firmware password utility.

Thank you.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Yes you can.

Good man, well done. :)

Montymitch

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
I had to perform a clean install on my week old rMBP because of the dreaded 'filevault encryption paused' error. Not worth it IMO.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
So it doesn't apply today?
Based on what've read 20-30% performance hit does not appear to be accurate. I have FV enabled and there's a small barely noticeable difference. Or there was when I first turned it on. Now I don't notice anything as I've gotten used to the performance. I don't have the links but I've read some articles where the overhead is in the order of 5 percent (or in that neighborhood).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.