MBP and vista ultimate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duykur, Mar 10, 2008.

1. duykur macrumors regular

Basic questions, can a Macbook pro run vista ultimate? if anybody has done it, how well does it run?

2. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Yes, but only the 32-bit version. Under bootcamp, it runs as well (in most cases better) than any other PC-brand laptop.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

It's running great for me. I've also got Fusion from VMWare. Fusion allows me to virtually run that bootcamped Windows installation while I'm in OS X. So I can still do all my work, and not miss being in OS X at the same time...

4. speedycar macrumors newbie

Running Vista on my MBP with Parallel, performs so much better than my HP!!

5. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Why can't you run the 64-bit version? And I'm curious to see the tests that show Vista runs better in most cases than any other PC-brand laptop. I've yet to see these performance tests that Apple managed to go off of for their entertaining Apple vs PC commercial against Vista. The only review I saw posted was from PC World with like a couple canned benchmarks against lower spec'ed PC laptops.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

It will run fantastic Under Bootcamp with all the features I believe it supports aero too.

7. a4abt macrumors regular

Vista 64-bit is in the OS list in VMWare ... so I guess you could install it. I have not tested it :confused:

I don't really see the use for Windows on my MBP, except for 2 programs which I need for school

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes, Vista Ultimate runs beautifully on the MBP. Yes, it'll run the 64bit version, but I'd stick to 32bit for better software compatibility (and generally faster performance).

Personally, whatever the laptop, I'd recommend sticking with XP. Much faster performance, better software compatibility in general, generally less fuss.

9. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

Technically speking u can run it but u'll have issues finding the drivers for it and also the number of applications available for the 64bit version are too low .

and also vista works effortlessly on a mac.. its smoooth... :apple:

10. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Bootcamp doesn't support drivers for the 64-bit Vista yet (if ever). Some people have installed it, and there are some drivers available on the web, but it will be buggy and is not recommended.

11. phatcat macrumors regular

I've ran both Vista64bit and Windows XP 32bit via VMware. Both run fine, however XP runs much faster and it's noticeable. I've also noticed that Vista requires more resources than XP - no surprise.

Thus I'll be deinstalling Vista, and run XP for while. I only used it for a couple apps anyway.

12. fpar macrumors regular

the reason u can only use the 32 bit is that there are no 64bit driver for the macbook pro. for the 64bit, u need a MacPro.

13. bamf macrumors 6502

That assumes a VMWare installation only. The issue is installing a 64bit version of Vista into a BootCamp partition. Apple has only provided drivers for that with the newest revision of the Mac Pros. In VMWare, you can run basically any OS you want (32, 64, Linux, Windows, whatever). BootCamp is the area with the 32 bit limitation b/c of the drivers...

14. Czechmac macrumors regular

I will have my new macbook pro and vista ultimate 64 bit by thursday so I will post how it runs.

I have downloaded the Mac Pro x64 drivers (through torrent, as they are not available through apple). There are 64 bit drivers for a moultitouch trackpad for example, so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

15. betaman10 macrumors newbie

The new MBP that includes the Penryn comes with Vista x64 drivers. Everything installs and works great under Vista x64 so there is no need to waist your time trying to get mac pro drivers, just install Vista x64 and put in the first disk that came with the MBP go through the install and reboot and everything will work fine.

16. bamf macrumors 6502

Does it? Sweet. I hadn't tried that yet...

17. betaman10 macrumors newbie

Sure does in fact I installed x86 first thinking that it didn't, then I put in the disk and looked at the files on the disk. I noticed that a lot of the folders had x64 drivers so I said well heck lets try it. So I put on x64 and ran the driver setup and sure enough everything installed great.

18. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

XP doesn't have all the features or eye candy that Vista has so naturally it's going to run faster. Vista requires more resources because more services and applications function in the background Vista that weren't there in XP. The live search indexing is one of those functions that can slow down performance some but it's still a really nice feature to have when you're browsing for files on your drive. Another thing Vista does is prefetch. Application data is loaded into memory so that apps load a little faster.

People look at Vista and expect it to run faster and require less resources than XP all while having more features and looking better. It's kinda like saying I want Crysis to run like the original Half-Life did but I want it to have the same new features in the game and the same graphics quality. You can't always have both. Admitantly though Vista does have it's fair share of issues. I've found myself becoming upset on a number of occasions with my web browser or an application freezing up or it taking forever just to do a simple task like deleting a photo for whatever reason.

19. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Has anyone else tried this? I went through the 64 bit nightmare on my old MBP and just got the new one so am wondering if this is for real?

20. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I dunno...

Source: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11889.html

Any other legit confirmation of 64-bit drivers with Penryn MBPs?

21. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I'm running Home Premium on my MBP and it runs really well. I have been playing World in Conflict on it too and that runs fine as well.

22. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I like you... hate to see people make claims like this, although I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. A MBP running Windows will run basically the same as a similarly spec'd laptop from another brand as the internals are essentially the same since the Intel changeover. I choose to own a MBP for two reasons:
    1. Mac OS X
    2. I like the way they look

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Actually, people should be able to expect Vista to run as fast on current hardware as a 7 year old OS can... and it can't.

I want the same framerate in Doom or Crysis, it's up to the developers to determine what the computer can support and not exceed that.

24. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

That doesn't make sense though. 7 years ago XP didn't run as fast on the hardware then as it does now so naturally XP is going to run faster now on faster hardware vs an OS that was just not long ago released and built on todays hardware. In 7 years Vista will probably run faster than whatever Windows edition is released then too because system requirements will no doubt go up again in future Windows releases. It's that way with any software product or otherwise the system of progression would be going backwards.

25. gothamm macrumors 6502a

wow, i never knew that.

To clarify, you are saying you can boot the same virtual machine in either vmware fusion or bootcamp?