mbp battery drops suddenly to 59%...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crizal, Jan 29, 2011.

1. crizal macrumors newbie

... after disconnecting from the ac adapter, and the percentage before was like 98-99%.. is this normal?

its brand new, just got after the christmas. mbp 13" standard configuration, but with a ssd..

i did not calibrate the battery, since i thought that this wouldnt be necessary for new products..

have any ideas? thanks a lot already..

edit: and now its recharging again from this state, i am at 65%..

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You should have calibrated your battery. That is what Apple tells you to do when you get your computer.
    Take a look at this link.

3. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, i didnt know that the calibraiton should have been done shortly after getting the laptops.. as far as i get this, it s just for accurate reporting of the battery status.. so it's normal and i didnt get a bad battery?

edit: coconutbattery says that my mbp is 4 weeks old, is it ok now to calibrate the battery? or have i walked into a dead-and-road?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can still do it. Calibrating will make the figures more accurate. If you still have issues after calibrating, then it might be a bad battery

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well how long did it take to drop from 99 to 59?

What were you doing?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the Battery FAQ that wordoflife posted. It will tell you how and when to calibrate and how to care for your battery. It has all your answers.

7. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

follow those directions ... which is basically to kill the battery till dead/sleep, then fully charge it and allow it to rest for a bit after you unplug it.

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I don't think that is calibration related. I would calibrate anyway and if it still does that, have Apple replace the battery under warranty. Lithium polymer batteries last a loooong time before they have any type of 'dump' capability wise.

9. crizal thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i wasnt doing anything particularly.. just surfing on the web and listening to some online radios.. the second i plugged it out from ac adapter, it showed the classic "calculating..".. and then 59%.. the thing i forgot to mention is that even the mbb 4 weeks old is, i havent been using it for like 2-3 weeks.. after i first got it, i opened it for the first time, installed the os, charged it fully and put somehow aside, because i was going to a vacation.. and since i am back, i have been using it for like 2-3 days.. and it seems that i am not going to be able to calibrate the battery following days, cause i am going to be away for some time.. could that cause a problem, if i wont calibrate it as soon as possible?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibrate it as soon as you can, but if you don't get to it for several days or weeks, it won't be a problem.

11. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Unplug it, use it, and let it shut off by itself - then recharge

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Surely you're not offering that as calibration advice, because that's not calibrating.