MBP battery time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddy-b, Dec 27, 2010.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

iam getting a bit worried..

Today i purchased a 13" MBP 2.4Ghz,4Gb ram.

and so i got home, used the battery that was on it, then when it had no battery wouldent turn on i charged it until it it was fully charged.. and now its saying a 4:04h remaning and 30min have passed since i unplugged the charger.. is this normal ?

apple claims 10H battery on these things

thanks in advance,
    freddy-b

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

LOL Depends on what you are doing with it. Apple's battery tests are performed with ideal conditions. Real life is always less.

For instance my 2009 model claims 7 hours. I got about 4 hours. I get about 5 now that I have uninstalled flash.

4. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

but from 10 to 4.. iam just skypin and browsin da net.. and i also have garageband open..

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Skype and Garageband use a lot of resources, and which websites you visit may, as well, especially if they have multimedia or Flash content. Read the link I posted for Apple's conditions used to achieve their advertised time on a charge.

6. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Configure the battery. My reported battery life improved after I did it.

Anyways, I get around 6-7 hour on an identical model with web browsing (no Flash), music playing through headphones.

7. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

i didnt calibrate it on first charge..!! is that a problem?

8. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

how do i "configure" the battery? ps. its gone up to 4:30h lool! but still it should b more..

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you can calibrate it anytime. Do that first, so you know your readings are accurate.
    I'm sure they meant "calibrate", since there is no way to "configure" a battery. Do yourself a favor. Read the Battery FAQ I posted. It really will answer all your questions. After you read it, if you have more questions, ask here.

10. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

ill calibrate it at 2nd charge... is that ok?
    and yes i have read the battery thread.. :)

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, as long as you follow the calibration steps in that post exactly, you can do it at any time.

If you read that FAQ, then you know that your time remaining is an ever-changing estimate, based on the current power demands of your system. The estimate will go up and down as your workload changes.

12. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

ok, thank you so much!!

13. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

Just a question..
    in steps 4-5..
    4. When you see the low battery warning, save your work and close all applications. Keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep.

5. After your computer goes to sleep, turn it off or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.

so, after it goes to sleep..( because of no battery) do i let it rest for 5h or more?

14. alongston macrumors newbie

If I am continuously working on mine, it tends to last about 4-6 hours, depending on what I am doing. If I ever play games that seems to drain the battery extremely fast and I will have to recharge after 4 hours.

15. mark22 macrumors newbie

Hello i just put post on the same issue, i bought a MBP 15 and the battery is empty very quick. after 4 to 5 hours that,s less then apple tells people in the site. So what to do?? or is this normal after watching You Tube and surfing on the internet!! I just want to let you know that i have the same problem , it makes me feel bad

16. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

mark22

Watching videos (flashplayer) increases CPU use. Increased CPU use means the computer is working harder, which decreases battery time.

Keep an eye on time remaining. It will decrease quite a bit while watching a video. Now quit watching the video. After a few minutes you should see your time remaining jump back up a bit. Just the way it is.

Apple's battery time is the MOST it could possibly get. However, running any applications will decrease this time. Any application that is CPU intensive will lower the battery time even more.

17. GGJstudios, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. After it sleeps or shuts off, let it stay that way, unplugged, for 5+ hours before you plug it in.
    Read the Battery FAQ link in the 2nd post in this thread.

18. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

very well, now i have to wait 5h.. is there a problem if the MBP Charges all nite?

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yeah as long as you let it unplugged for atleast 5 hours, you can charge it as long as you want after that. But it has to stay plugged in until fully charged.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As the Battery FAQ states:

21. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

is it ok if i never shut down my mac.. if i only sleep it?

22. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

think about it this way. do you need sleep? YES. similarly the computer also needs a good sleep. and this is called "shutdown" not the weird term sleep (why someone would say that is just plain ridiculous)

all in all, shut it down. the computer needs rest like you do, and the sleep function is for "temporary" usage. like you will come back to it after a few hours.
    for the longevity of your computer, it is recommended you shut down your computer.

23. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I would assume it is ok from my personal use. The longest my MBP was turned off when it was in my possession was when I changed hard drives which was a whopping like 20, maybe 21 minutes lol

Whenever I use Skype my battery tends to flatline as it and some websites are continually using resources where as sites which you just read load and use resources for a much lesser time in comparison to when you are reading through an already loaded website.

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's perfectly fine to sleep vs shut down. Many Mac users go months at a time without shutting down.
    Completely untrue.
    There is a sleep mode. That's what it's called. It's not ridiculous, but your comparing a computer to a human is.
    No, it doesn't. It's a computer, not a human.
    When your Mac is in sleep mode, nothing is running.
    Absolutely not necessary.
    No, it doesn't.
    There is no such recommendation.

A computer can run for years without shutting down. It does NOT need rest, like a human does. It is not a living organism. It is an electronic device.

25. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

dose it not overcharge if i shut it down or sleep while its charging...?