MBP= Best gaming laptop!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A Macbook Pro, Mar 20, 2010.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

A few days ago one of my rich friends (that's not why we're friends BTW :p) let me borrow his fully upgraded 17'' MBP. 3.06Ghz, Intel SSD, 8GB RAM, it is an absolute dream. After playing MW2 and some other titles on it, it has to be the best portable gaming machine I've ever used. Now before you all say ''OMG n0 it doesnt haz the i7s n00b alienwarez ftw!!''. Hear me out. Sure, i7 hasn't come yet, but does any other laptop offer that speed, that design, that battery life? My Xbox is amazing, and now I like to take games with me wherever I go, and now with this MBP I can play MW2, Halo 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, in the car. (passenger seat!) it is an absolute dream. So yeah, just wanted to share this experience, will be hard to let that baby go :(

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

What kind of battery life are you getting while playing games anyway?

I want an SSD :)

3. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Windows 7 cut's my battery life almost in half to 4 hours, so then I might get 2 hours gaming, pretty good I guess, I used the in-flight adapter on my 12 hour flight and it worked like a dream! 12 hours gaming goodness lol :D

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yea I kinda figured lol

On my sony i7 I can get about an hour and a half gaming. And that C2D is a fair bit faster on battery. Love that XD

I have to agree with you in the terms of the 17" MBP, that'd be my ideal laptop... if I could afford it! They start at $2200 (even if you get an amazing deal it's rare to see them under $2000 new), with 8gb ram and an SSD.. holy cow.

Nice. XD

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I can't imagine playing a FPS on a 17in laptop in the car. Where do you put your mouse? The thing takes up your whole lap.

I'm sure it is a slick machine but I know Apple can do a lot better. Like you said obviously i5/i7 but throw in an ATI 5830 and it will eat that machine for breakfast which is probably hard to imagine.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I have no idea! XD

In my car, you'd have more than enough room. In a BMW or an Acura, there wouldn't be nearly enough room.

And anyone that has a fancy ass MBP like that probably has a fancy ass car. :D

7. weenerdog macrumors member

Best portable gaming laptop... oh come on. It doesn't run windows out of the box so instantly its incompatible with 90% of games, and it's using a 9600M graphics card. It's a midrange card and is actually fairly sluggish compared to many newer graphics cards featured in laptops half the price of the MBP. But other than that, it's perfect.

8. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

If it can run Windows, then it is not incompatible. You fail.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

LOL.

I only have the 80gb intel x25-m on my 15" uMBP and now it makes me want to try running bioshock.

I know the SSD drive wont make the games run any faster (only the loading time will be fast) and I'd expect that 8GB of RAM wouldnt make much of a difference either under windows so I dont see how it can be that fast..

God I want an i7 with a new GPU!!

10. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL Apple hater. It's not hard to put windows on it, doesn't make it instantly incompatible. 9600M may be not the best but if you can point me to a better gaming laptop with that performance with that battery life, feel free to prove me wrong.

11. MrMach7 macrumors newbie

a forum for grown-ups

12. Uchiha1911 macrumors newbie

*whistles*

13. Quetsche macrumors member

I think the point of the OP was about gaming performance while retaining battery life. I doubt this alienware lasts more than 30 minutes. ;)

As far as i'm concerned, i don't really care about battery life as my laptop is plugged in all the times and the only reason it's not a desktop is that i need to be able to take it with me. However i also need it to be running macos x. ;)

Btw, if you max out this alienware specs, i'm pretty sure the 'China syndrome' is not far. :D

14. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You could probably get similar performance out of an Envy 15 on a slice battery, and an extra hour or two as well!

But that's an i5 model, it'd be slower on battery and.. stuff.

The Asus laptops are awesome as far as performance, them along with the Dell XPS 16 can run at full speed on battery, but they don't last nearly as long as a 17" MBP.

I say you've got me here. HOWEVER, plugged in any of those laptops will smoke a MBP.

Who plays CoD while riding around in the passenger seat of a car anyway?

15. abs1nthe macrumors member

I agree that the OP is fully entitled to his opinion about what constitutes the best gaming laptop, and for him its obviously a MBP - good for him. But I don't think its fair to make that statement when your only real argument for it is good battery life. Some uneducated person might see "best gaming laptop" and think "OMFG that must mean it maxes out every game with ease!", only to find out that in reality the 9600 is a piece of **** and the only thing the current MBPs have going for them is good battery and good design - things that don't actually make your claim true.

16. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to clarify: The MBP is the best gaming laptop in my opinion because whenever I'm at home I'll use my Xbox, but whenever I'm at a doctor waiting for my appointment or waiting out of the house, the MBP is just amazing. And yeah, that Alienware will last 15 mins :rolleyes:

17. JosX macrumors regular

The high end MBP is definitely a good gaming laptop, but has anyone else noticed that all the performance is gone as soon as you unplug the power chord? Maybe it's a windows 7 thing, but whenever I remove the magsafe, GTA IV goes from being very smooth to like 1fps.

18. bluetick macrumors member

Even the top MBP video cards are not good for serious gaming.

19. cathyy macrumors 6502a

You have got to be kidding me. What kind of laptops have you even been using anyway? 5 year old laptops? The 9600M GT is freaking outdated and the 8600M GT which is almost 3 years old by now runs almost as good as it.

Even the Sony Vaio Z which is a 13" notebook and only weighs a mere 1.4kg (MBP 15" weighs 2.49kg) has a better CPU and a better GPU than the MBP 15". I don't think you even want to try comparing it to the HP Envy 15. It's Core i7 CPU and ATI Mobility 5830 would completely smoke the Macbook Pro. It's also lighter at 2.35kg.

20. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

I think he means that it's the best gaming laptop that he's used/the most suitable for his needs, which is fair enough. No need to get all shirty about it all.

21. Exinor macrumors member

22. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I love that Dell can slap an Alienware logo on a 1.6GHz C2D with a damn 11" screen and crap battery life and it suddenly becomes "ZOMG Teh roXXoRz best 1337 Gaming laptop EVAR!!!!1111eleven!!!1"

23. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

24. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

I fail to see why you're upset. Apple's been doing similar since they went to Intel hardware. [I disregard the battery life part. Performance and battery life are mutually exclusive. If you want one, you have to sacrifice the other. ]

[oh geez, LIGHTEN UP!!!]

o/p: Glad you had a great experience on your friend's Mac ^^. Just remember, even if you're not so spoiled as to get a top line 17", the 9400m isn't COMPLETELY useless. . and you can hook any of them up to an external monitor for larger shinies.

And you can get some decent deals on refurbs [just got a refurbished air myself, minus the box it came in I would've SWORN it was brand new] ;)

just sayin'. .

25. Arminator macrumors member

kind of the stupiest thread i`ve ever seen.

Obviously the mbp has a very good overall perfomance, but to rate it as the best gaming laptop is just ridicolous. Just take a build with decent batterylife and put in a modern graphiccard and it will eat mbp in games.

btw. i hardly ask myself how batterylife can be an argument for an gaming laptop, since even the mbp cant go far over 2 hours?! Even you had to plug in during your flight, so why complain about batterylife?!

mbp is a fine build but the best gaming laptop? never, not even close!