Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
oops! shecky is right. the 160 is using perpendicular technology. my 120 is still using the old lateral technology. oh well, this thing is still blazing fast. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
tekmoe said:
i don't know about the rest of the mbp owners but this mbp is not emitting much heat at all. i'm also not really pushing it, just basic web browsing and that's about it. i've read previous reports of people having issues with the heat when it was just sitting idle. i can promise you this is not the case with the new mbp. this thing rules.
There must be a God because that's exactly what I was praying to hear. :)

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
Thats it...just sold my powerbook(got good money for it) and next month Im picking one of these babies up! :D

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Oh my god I can't wait until I get mine, I'm going for a 15.4" Macbook Pro Stock 2.33GHz Just got to wait until Christmas (Parents lending me alot of money and giving me some for christmas and my brithday)

flalaw

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
United States
tekmoe said:
yes i purchased this at an apple retail store here in dallas. we have 4 stores and i called all 4 of them today. each one of them did receive at least 2 of the 2.16 models. the store i bought mine from had received 5. i got to grab the last one! :p

only 2. wow, i hope they start shipping larger quantities to the stores soon... do anyone's local stores have larger quantities in stock?

the store closest to me is supposed to get some in by today or tomorrow, but such small shipments are making me concerned. i hope i'm high enough on the waiting list to get one by the end of the week.

tarjan

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2006
tysons: no idea

clarendon: WE HAVE NONE *click*

Pentagon city: Sorry, we dont have them in yet, but they might be in todays shipment. Can you give us a call back in two hours?

Come on people, I know retail sucks but this isn't the xbox 360 or ps3 with the phones ringing off the hook every second of the day. There is no reason to get pissy like the guy at the clarendon store did. Tysons just gave me the truth, not really happy or sad but the people in there are fairly cool. Pentagon City on the other hand, they take the cake for the RIGHT way to treat a customer. They were apologetic and offered the best way they knew to make the situation right. Have me call after the shipment comes in, even if they are not sure if the MBPs will be in the shipment.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
One question I have about the new MBPs. How far back does the screen tilt? Farther than the old MBPs? Or the same?

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
slffl said:
One question I have about the new MBPs. How far back does the screen tilt? Farther than the old MBPs? Or the same?

my new 15" doesnt tilt back as far as my 17" G4 if that means anything. i do find it a bit limited with how far this one can tilt back but its not really a problem.

erikk18

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2004
Display

Congrats on your new Macbook Pro! or as I like to affectionately call it... your new Lapple.

anyway, I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys (my rev A 12" powerbook is starting to huff and puff a bit) and I was wondering which screen you decided to go with (Glossy or matte). I don't know why but that seems to be the toughest choice for me even though it shouldn't be that big of a deal...

markw10

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
I'm so jealous as well! I ordered mine off the Apple store. I just got a notice it shipped. Well it shows 8:30PM or so in Shanghai, CN but then has a note next to it saying it missed the cut off. I don't know if that is the time in China or here but it shipped FedEx. How long does it usually take? I had a laptop once ship from Shanghai but it was Toshiba and it was just 24-36 hours.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
erikk18 said:
Congrats on your new Macbook Pro! or as I like to affectionately call it... your new Lapple.

anyway, I am so close to pulling the trigger on one of these bad boys (my rev A 12" powerbook is starting to huff and puff a bit) and I was wondering which screen you decided to go with (Glossy or matte). I don't know why but that seems to be the toughest choice for me even though it shouldn't be that big of a deal...

i went with the matte. i read another post here on the forums with someone explaining why they feel matte is the better choice...once i read it, i had to totally agree with them and yet it never occurred to me that it was the same way i felt until after i read that post. they basically said the matte screen goes so much better with the macbook pro's because of the brushed aluminum case. the shiny glossy screen doesn't match the case very well. plus, every single lcd i have ever owned is a matte and i have never had any complaints about them. i've used glossy before and yes they do look good but i feel like over time i may get tired of the glossyness. its nice to have a more natural looking picture on the screen rather than a shiny vibrant picture.

matte all the way.

xliver

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
Kentucky
What about the RAM

I was looking at getting the low-end MBP and wanted to upgrade the RAM myself to 2 gig. I heard something about having to use the same RAM in order to get the best performance out of it.
Does that mean it just has to be the same amount of RAM per dimm or that it has to be the actual same NAME BRAND of RAM?
Any thoughts?
Thanks! :)

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
xliver said:
I was looking at getting the low-end MBP and wanted to upgrade the RAM myself to 2 gig. I heard something about having to use the same RAM in order to get the best performance out of it.
Does that mean it just has to be the same amount of RAM per dimm or that it has to be the actual same NAME BRAND of RAM?
Any thoughts?
Thanks! :)

i seriously doubt it has to be the same name brand RAM. it DOES have to be the same type of ram but not name brand. i am going to purchase a 1gb stick to add in so i can have 2gb total. 2gb is plenty for me.

xliver

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
Kentucky
tekmoe said:
i seriously doubt it has to be the same name brand RAM. it DOES have to be the same type of ram but not name brand. i am going to purchase a 1gb stick to add in so i can have 2gb total. 2gb is plenty for me.

Am I right in assuming it can only accept one type - i.e. anything else wouldn't fit or meet the right specs. In turn making the only variables the amount of RAM and the Name Brand?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
xliver, as long as it is a DDR2, 667 MHz 'notebook RAM' (SO-DIMM,) it should work just fine. I have a 'generic' 1 GB module (but with high quality Micron cihps,) in my first-gen MacBook Pro, and it works just fine. There are some reports that even 533 MHz RAM works, but will obviously be slower.

I would like to know where the FireWire 800 port is on the new 15" models. Is it on the right side next to the FireWire 400 port, like on the 17" Core (1) Duo model, or is it on the left side next to the power and USB ports?

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
ehurtley said:
I would like to know where the FireWire 800 port is on the new 15" models. Is it on the right side next to the FireWire 400 port, like on the 17" Core (1) Duo model, or is it on the left side next to the power and USB ports?

Just looking at the promotional pics from Apple NZ, I don't see the firewire port beside the 2 USB ports on the left side.. so I'm guessing it's on the right... unless Apple NZ neglected to update the pictures.. wouldn't put it past them to do that actually :rolleyes:

UPDATE: Just saw the pic at the top of the specs page at Apple NZ.. and there's one less USB port on this pic (ie. there's only 1 USB port on the left).. so i'm guessing Apple NZ did forget/didn't bother to update the pic.. but either way, the Firewire port isn't on the left hand side.

UPDATE 2: I shud finish reading the page before posting here :p . On the design page at Apple NZ it clearly shows the FW800 port between the FW400 port and the Ethernet port on the right hand side.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Might be my eyes but are there any changes to the casing of the MBP? Looks the same as the old model to me on the outside

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.