Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fastlove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Hi , i am new to MAc . so far , been very satisfied after my transition from Windows 7 to MBP Snow Leopard and Now Lion . Everything has been working except now that i face my first hurdle.

I tried for the first time to connect with somebody on yahoo messenger with Video Chat .

I am able to do voice calls but the webcam wont work.

I tried both ichat and Yahoo messenger for Mac.

The other end is a Windows Desktop.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Fastlove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Yahoo Messenger probably hasn't been updated for Lion yet.

Thank you for your reply.

Was it working on snow leopard ?? I never tried Yahoo messenger or for that matter anything to do with the webcam /facetime before upgrading to Lion.

Any challenges you know of when the other end is a Windows PC ?!

Sorry for the novice questions :rolleyes: as i am 2 month old to mac :apple:

Also, does anyone use ichat and does it support Ymessenger video chat as i cant get it to work on ichat as well.

Any info or link will be very much appreciated.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Sadly, we have friends on yahoo and when that doesnt work, it is an issue :( and we all are waiting for a fix from a company who has abandoned one of its best services :(

Can you clarify what exactly you're referring to? Y! Messenger supports 10.8 and the webcam works fine... :confused:

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Can you clarify what exactly you're referring to? Y! Messenger supports 10.8 and the webcam works fine... :confused:

maybe this guy is still having issues because he hasn't updated software for two years ^_^

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
It's newbie season on MR, I've seen at least 10 2+ year old threads today that have been bumped by new users.

Haha guys, a big LOL at the other dude in here who said i have NOT updated my software...well i just got a brand-SPANKING (yeah we say that loud in here) 2013 Air 11.6' and has Mac OSX 10.8.4 and the Yahoo Messenger v3.0.2 and it does NOT allow me to enable the webcam :(

Any suggestions ?

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
So anyone willing to help in here?

The only way I can get Y! Messenger to NOT work with the webcam is if I have an different app already open that's connected to the webcam.

For example, if I have FaceTime open and start Messenger then Messenger has the webcam greyed out. I have to exit both FaceTime and Messenger, then restart Messenger and the webcam works fine.

If you have nothing else connected to the webcam when you start Messenger then I have no idea what the deal is. I assume other apps, such as FaceTime, have no problem using the webcam?

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
the only way i can get y! Messenger to not work with the webcam is if i have an different app already open that's connected to the webcam.

For example, if i have facetime open and start messenger then messenger has the webcam greyed out. I have to exit both facetime and messenger, then restart messenger and the webcam works fine.

If you have nothing else connected to the webcam when you start messenger then i have no idea what the deal is. I assume other apps, such as facetime, have no problem using the webcam?

what version of yahoo u got ?

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Switch to Skype like the rest of the world did years ago. Or use Google Hangouts.

Problem solved.

Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: Obviously these people aren't just talking to themselves, so clearly suggesting they switch services entirely isn't a very logical suggestion as everyone they talk to would have to do the same.

Do you have a useful suggestion? :)

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
Y! Messenger v3.0.2 running on OS X 10.8.4.

Strange :( well i got the same, what kinda settings do you have on it lol if its worth modifying?

To the Skype-Dude --> I am one of the 1st account owners in there (SKYPE) for years, so as the OP said, focus on the problem, not an xyz alternative that we all have been using for ages..! Because some precious friends still breathe/live/eat on yahoo messenger just like some love prius...lol !

Last edited:

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Strange :( well i got the same, what kinda settings do you have on it lol if its worth modifying?

I don't have any special tweaks for anything hardware. Stock 10.8.4 and stock Y! Messenger install with all the defaults. I tested Messenger on both my rMBP with the built-in cam as well as my cMBP connected to an ATD and used the display's cam, both worked without a hitch as soon as I installed Messenger and logged in (I use Adium for Yahoo! IM, my team and company is geographically diverse so we communicate via IM and email more than anything).

Have you tried it booting in Safe mode or when logged in to a different account? Do you have any sort of software that could be attached to the webcam at all times but not have it activated, such a some "security" software that allows you to remotely spy on whoever might be using your laptop? :D

Anyway, it works on both of my MBPs without issue. I would start by looking at what might be running on yours, especially in the background, that may be preventing it from working.

You never answered my other question, though. Do FaceTime and/or Photobooth use the webcam without issue? If neither of those are able to connect to the webcam then that would tell you that it's not a Messenger problem.

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
I don't have any special tweaks for anything hardware. Stock 10.8.4 and stock Y! Messenger install with all the defaults. I tested Messenger on both my rMBP with the built-in cam as well as my cMBP connected to an ATD and used the display's cam, both worked without a hitch as soon as I installed Messenger and logged in (I use Adium for Yahoo! IM, my team and company is geographically diverse so we communicate via IM and email more than anything).

Have you tried it booting in Safe mode or when logged in to a different account? Do you have any sort of software that could be attached to the webcam at all times but not have it activated, such a some "security" software that allows you to remotely spy on whoever might be using your laptop? :D

Anyway, it works on both of my MBPs without issue. I would start by looking at what might be running on yours, especially in the background, that may be preventing it from working.

You never answered my other question, though. Do FaceTime and/or Photobooth use the webcam without issue? If neither of those are able to connect to the webcam then that would tell you that it's not a Messenger problem.

Hey dude, thanks for a detailed reply. I am running Adium in the background and even used Yahoo Messenger with Adium Quit. Very strangely, i dont even get an option of showing a webcam/starting a webcam using Yahoo in Adium ... :(

And yeah the PhotoBooth uses the camera fine and so does Skype...never did Facetime...so don't know about that and also i don't have any Spy software lol

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Hey dude, thanks for a detailed reply. I am running Adium in the background and even used Yahoo Messenger with Adium Quit. Very strangely, i dont even get an option of showing a webcam/starting a webcam using Yahoo in Adium ... :(

And yeah the PhotoBooth uses the camera fine and so does Skype...never did Facetime...so don't know about that and also i don't have any Spy software lol

Gotcha, well I'm at a loss then. :( Adium doesn't support webcams AFAIK, I don't use my webcam so it's not a big deal to me. Was just trying to see if I could help you out.

However, I'll reach out to the Messenger team and see if they're aware of anyone else having this issue or if there's a way for you to submit debugging info to them, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The Mac side has been pretty dormant.

Randall38

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
I came to the forum for the same issue, except, with a Mac Air. Bought it new yesterday, and installed Yahoo Messenger. The camera works fine with Facetime and Photobooth, but will not work with YM regardless of what I try. I even plugged in a USB webcam and it worked fine with YM. When I go into YM, it reads Video Source: None. It is grayed out, so I can't change it.

I had a Mac Air for the last two years and it worked fine with YM and the built in camera.

The Mac Air and Yahoo Messenger are both fully updated. I have removed YM and reinstalled to no avail. I have even tried an old version of YM with no luck.

I have searched all over for an answer, but I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
I came to the forum for the same issue, except, with a Mac Air. Bought it new yesterday, and installed Yahoo Messenger. The camera works fine with Facetime and Photobooth, but will not work with YM regardless of what I try. I even plugged in a USB webcam and it worked fine with YM. When I go into YM, it reads Video Source: None. It is grayed out, so I can't change it.

I had a Mac Air for the last two years and it worked fine with YM and the built in camera.

The Mac Air and Yahoo Messenger are both fully updated. I have removed YM and reinstalled to no avail. I have even tried an old version of YM with no luck.

I have searched all over for an answer, but I can't figure it out. Any help is appreciated!

I am in EXACTLY the same situation as yours .....On Mac Air 2013 model and it DOES NOT WORK :(

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Why didn't I think of that? :rolleyes: Obviously these people aren't just talking to themselves, so clearly suggesting they switch services entirely isn't a very logical suggestion as everyone they talk to would have to do the same.

Do you have a useful suggestion? :)

Yes, switch to Skype as I said in my earlier post. It's better, it works & it's not Yahoo software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.