Mbp DEAD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fezzaben, Jul 16, 2012.

1. fezzaben macrumors newbie

Hi peeps an update for you all to laugh at my expense. Just after 8 weeks of owning my mbP its dead. Used it this morning was fine then shut it down. Went to start it back up nothing. Just the apple logo and the spinning disk. Rang apple care and they took me through some steps. Obviously turns out to be a dud drive.

So as you can imagine. Not a happy bunny. Have a genie appointment on wednesday to hopefully retify it although they may have to keep my mac for a few days. Which im not happy about at all.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem. I mean surely im entitled to a replacement not a fix as im still in my 90 days of telephone service not to mention still have 11 months warrenty.

Now if you were me would you demand a replacement or wait for it to. E repaired. Im the first appointment they have so surely if they were going replace the hdd they cOuld do it within the hour.

If i get my computer back should i request a free applecare plan. I mean whats to say this wont hapPen again next month.

If any1 can help me decide id be gratefull

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

They'll check it. Buy the Apple Care if you like. Its a peace of mind.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You should change the thread title. Your MBP is far from dead, your hdd is just defective. The hdd is the most failure prone component, no need to request a new computer, the wouldn't give you one anyway.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Hard drives fail. Apple doesn't make hard drives, they source them from other supplies. Hard drives are one of the most likely computer components to fail.

As far as I know you don't have any real right to demand a replacement instead of a fix. The only time where you have a right to exchange your computer for a new one is during the 14 day return period.

Also I don't think there's really any justification to request free AppleCare. Nothing keeps it from happening again next month, not even AppleCare. If it does happen next month you will still be within your one year standard warranty.

Not trying to be harsh here, it stinks that you're having a problem and I'm sure Apple will do what they need to do to make it right. I just think that you have some unreasonable justifications about what they owe you.

5. Abhorred macrumors member

You're free to request whatever you want, just don't expect them to give it to you, in this case. For one thing, you've still got the majority of a year of coverage remaining on the system's original warranty. Secondly, Applecare sells at great margins for Apple, and it doesn't make much sense for them to give you free extended warranty coverage just because a part of the system crapped out. I mean, parts crapping out is why people buy it in the first place, right?

They'll sure be happy to sell it to you, though.

6. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to agree with most of these posts. Why would apple give you an extended warranty when their 1 year warranty is doing exactly what you needed it to do. You got a defective problem and it is still covered under warranty because you should not have this type of issue yet.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Electronic devices fail sometimes. It's just the way it goes. Apple will replace your HDD and that will be the end of it. You're not entitled to a replacement computer; you're entitled to have them repair it under warranty. There aren't any guarantees that it won't happen again, but chances are by far in your favor that the new HDD will be fine. If you want assurance that they'll fix it in the future, purchase Applecare. It sucks that your MBP broke, but that's why it's covered by a warranty.

By the way, when you go in to get it repaired, be nice to the "genie" (genius). Going in and making demands about what you think you are owed isn't going to make them want to go out of their way to help you. The nicer you are, the better service you're likely to get.

8. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers guys for the heads up obviously a tad upset and annoyed yesturday hence why demands came through. I think being nice is the only aprouch im gonna have. Will post further details on how i get on tomoz hopefully ill return home with my mpb

9. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Apple's return policy for faulty Mac computers is 14 days. Well outside of that period. They will attempt to repair it.

10. paul117 macrumors regular

perhaps if u ask them nicely they may be able to replace the drive while u wait.... though if ur able to reinstall the OS ur self its possable they would be willing to do it quicker.... less work on them (unless the drives have the OS already installed :p)

11. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

hi guys so my appointments tomoz. i reli wanted to try and get my stuff of the macbooks hardrive by installing mac osx on a externall only problem is i cant format it to mac os x journelled as im using a windows based machine at the moment has anyone got any ideas. ive got a dmg file for the os. any help please

12. Slivortal, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  13. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

im trying to get my data of the hardrive that wont boot mate. using an external drive with the os on it then click onto the macintosh hd then try getting the data off. this is before i go tomoz

14. blueroom, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If your MBP won't boot then how do you plan install OSX? You need another bootable Mac, then possibly put your MBP in target disk mode and a FireWire cable might work.

Windows, nope.

Worse yet is a dud drive is unlikely to be readable anyway. For future reference look into setting up a backup such as Time Machine or CCC.

PS I had a 2010 MBP HDD fail, turned out to be the SATA cable was duff, it pooched the data but the drive was fine.

15. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for the info mate did u get it sorted on the day at all mate. im hoping they will replace the drive and let me keep the old drive to try and get my data of if that makes sense.

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

They won't give you back the old drive. They'll send it out for warranty repair.

17. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

Really what about my data. They have said they may be able to recover it

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Generally they expect you to have your data backed up. From the Apple support webpage:
    Will the data on my MacBook Pro be preserved?
    Don't rely on it being preserved. Many repairs require Apple to replace or reformat the hard disk, which will result in the loss of your data. Please make sure you back up your data on a regular basis to minimize your data loss. Apple and its AASPs are not responsible for any damage to or loss of any applications, data, or other information stored on your MacBook Pro while performing service.

OP, you should be backing up your computer on a regular basis. Not trying to be mean, but you've already had one hard drive fail. Having backups won't fix your broken hard drive, but it softens the blow a lot when you have a recent backup to restore from once you get the machine fixed.

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Backups are the users responsibility.

Also consider using DropBox or a NAS for your critical data. iCloud is really handy for contacts & iCal. Both offer free 5GB storage.

20. Rajpdx macrumors regular

If it's a hard drive failure, that is separate enough to not implicate the rest of the machine. A new hard drive and it will be back to new. If you replace the machine you have no idea if there will be other issues down the line.

So I'd suggest the replacement hard drive. They should be able to do it super fast by the way. It's not difficult.

As for data - they may be able to mount the drive and transfer the data to the new machine if you're lucky.

21. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone ill let u no how i get on tomorrow hopefully with good results

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As the others have said, you really need to be doing regular backups. Apple makes this very easy with Time Machine, you just have to provide an external drive.

Have you tried booting to the restore partition and doing an archive and install? If this is still an option this should preserve your data.

23. astrorider macrumors 6502

If the hard drive has failed, you should be able to boot from into the recovery partition, from an OS X install DVD, or a USB flash drive with OS X on it. Should be able to just hold Option during bootup to get to any of these. Then install OSX to the external.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

All of their parts are basically sourced. They may use some customizations, but they're not starting from nothing when they block out a design. Hard drives and batteries are the two most failure prone items, which is why some of their new designs make me a little queasy. As far as I know, this still falls within their typical service guidelines of several working days. In my case I usually just deal with it myself unless it's an expensive option in which case pro care $100 (assuming they still do that).

25. fezzaben thread starter macrumors newbie

Astrorider i tried the recovery partition while on the phone to tech support with no results unfortunatly. Im hoping they can recover it. I do have an external drive but this is in windows format so i can watch movies on my tv. I shall ask about tme machine tomorrow. And see what they can do hopefully i can get my data back

----------

Aso as for a recovery disk i dont pocess one i shall be making one tomorrow sp this kind of thing dosent happen again. Obviously im still a tad upset by whats happened to a 8 week old laptop