Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've been a long time Apple laptop user who currently owns a circa 2011 MBP (see signature) with 1GB dedicated graphics. As I am a gamer, this has always been important to me and the dedicated graphics has always been a must for this task if the discussion is about running something more demanding than find-the-object games. ;)

I see in the newly announced lineup of MBPs that only the top of the line MBP includes dedicated graphics. I know they continue to make strides in integrated graphics and am anxiously awaiting the benchmark comparisons between the 15" 2.0 and the 15" 2.3 models. I'm not an expert on integrated graphics although I do know in the past they have not been sufficient to run the AAA games out there.

I'm wondering what kind of performance you'd get out of the 2.0GHz version with 16GB RAM on it?

What kind of limits does integrated graphics have when it comes to tapping RAM for its own personal use? Can integrated graphics grab 2GB RAM?

This CNET Article- Dissecting Intel's Top Graphics in Apple's 15" MBP sheds a little light on the subject.

Just noticed this thread discussing the same issues. :-\

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Here is a breakdown from anandtech - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

IF you are going for gaming only, then a refurb of the last model, or the $2600+ current version seem best. Since I have a mid-2012 cMBP, I wouldn't touch the current models with a ten foot pole at their current prices. Intel has done a nice job progressing their iGPUs in recent generations. Hopefully Broadwell brings another round of improvements and pulls even with the current 750m. At that point, I'd consider an iGPU.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here is a breakdown from anandtech - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested

IF you are going for gaming only, then a refurb of the last model, or the $2600+ current version seem best. Since I have a mid-2012 cMBP, I wouldn't touch the current models with a ten foot pole at their current prices. Intel has done a nice job progressing their iGPUs in recent generations. Hopefully Broadwell brings another round of improvements and pulls even with the current 750m. At that point, I'd consider an iGPU.

Thanks for the link. I'm miffed that Apple expects you to cough up a minimum of $2600 for the top of the line MBP to achieve dedicated graphics. The CNET link I posted does include a Crisis benchmark, but I wonder what that really equates to in games?

intel-iris-pro-anandtech-benchmarks-edit-small.jpg

From:Arstechnica.com MBP 15" review. Comparing 2012 to 2013, dedicated to integrated graphic options/$, does this chart say it all?

2013-15-rMBP-3.009.png

Last edited:

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Thanks for the link. I'm miffed that Apple expects you to cough up a minimum of $2600 for the top of the line MBP to achieve dedicated graphics.
That's why I wouldn't consider buying this version of the MBP. While I could afford it, I don't like the feeling of being "taken" when I do spend my money. And this crop has that feeling, for me, in every iteration - for the 15" that is.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That's why I wouldn't consider buying this version of the MBP. While I could afford it, I don't like the feeling of being "taken" when I do spend my money. At this crop has that feeling, for me, in every iteration - for the 15" that is.

I believe this situation will cause the 2012, early 2013 MBPs to rise in value...

katorga

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Does it matter

The iGPU model is $2599 with 2.3/16/512.

The dGPU model is $2599 with 2.3/16/512.

Its a wash. For me I have to have 16/512 for the number of virtual machines I run, and I can get the dGPU model without special ordering.

Price-wise, the XPS 15 QHD system is around $2300 for roughly the same specs. $200 more for worth it to me to not run Windows 8, and get proven build quality.

luffytubby

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
Intel Drivers are not fun for any gamer. If you use Steam frequently and have more than 10-15 games on it, I will say you are bound to have several of them that won't function to it's benchmark potential(sub 650m). Reason being developers have rarely optimized their games for them.

It's not ideal. And it feels weird in a 15-inch. I really think so. You have to forgive it in the 13-inch. It's so thin now that there is just not room to achieve the battery. But such a larged footprint as the 15-inch. I think it will echo in regret for people who call themselves gamers.

I think the occassional dude who doesn't venture out of Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 is going to be fine. But if you're a gamer and buys games once a month or twice a month. I don't believe it.

(don't have the machine. Just speculating).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The iGPU model is $2599 with 2.3/16/512.

The dGPU model is $2599 with 2.3/16/512.

Its a wash. For me I have to have 16/512 for the number of virtual machines I run, and I can get the dGPU model without special ordering.

Price-wise, the XPS 15 QHD system is around $2300 for roughly the same specs. $200 more for worth it to me to not run Windows 8, and get proven build quality.

A wash except that prior to these new models you buy a dedicated graphic equipped (1GB) MBP for about $2000...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.