MBP display goes nuts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Am3822, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I was minding my own business, running matlab and plotting some stuff when suddenly this happens:

[​IMG]

The display goes all jumbled (though I could still take the screenshots) and I had to turn the machine off.

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Theres loads of threads on this, check the forum. Apparently it affects the MBP line.

3. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks.

Can I/should I try to have it replaced?

4. bart rijksen macrumors regular

You could try to do that. that's a hardware problem.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Looks like maybe the graphics card could be going or the display itself. I'd say it's worth getting looked at asap.

6. ryanrul macrumors member

I had something similar with my last MBP and was told that it was definitely a hardware issue ... most likely a faulty video card.

How old is your MBP?

7. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I have that issue too. It's happened randomly, about a dozen times, since I got my new Penryn MBP in March. It only seemed to occur when I woke it up from sleep, and I'd have to do a hard shutdown and then restart to get things back to normal.

Fortunately for me, it occurred at the Genius Bar while I was there to have a completely different problem checked out. Figuring it was the graphics card, they ordered a new logic board for me, and I've since had it replaced. Picked up my repaired machine on Wednesday and everything seemed to be OK.

Then, I had another unrelated problem requiring me to return to the Apple store this morning. Voila! There it was again. Scrambled display and all that. The guy helping me was one of the two geniuses who saw the problem the first time. When I told him I bought the computer brand new in March, he said "that's not right, can I offer you a new computer?". New MBP is on order and should be in next week.

If you've got a new MBP, show your screen shot at the Apple Store, tell them my story and request a replacement.

Good luck!

8. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I had something similar to that happen to me, literally a week ago. Of course, it was followed up with kernal panics and the computer was completely unusable. I can only guess that the graphics card died, but I had to have my logic board replaced.

June 07 SR MBP

9. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

I have a FEB 08 MBP (15.4"/2.4GHz/2GB). I think that this is the first time I've seen it happen on my machine, though there may have been earlier small-scale cases. I've tried to reproduce the problem, using the same application, but nothing has happened.

I'll definitely email the screen capture + pictures to the reseller I've purchased the mac from.

10. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I have had similar problems with the aperture trial. Only with it. I spent one hour playing a QuakeSomething demo and nothing happened. Nothing happened with other programs doing a heavy use of the graphics subsystem.

Now I do not think it is a hardware problem (I used to think that). It is definitely a software problem that clearly shows how poor mem protection mechanisms are in MacOS kernel and, in particular, with the current implementation of graphics drivers (do you have a nVidia card?).

thistle

11. lordthistle macrumors 6502

12. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

Since this is the Feb 08 revision, yes, I have the nVidia card (256M vram).

One odd thing is that although I had an external monitor plugged in at the time, only the main display became corrupted.

13. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I have the same card. Current drivers are bad, very bad. But I am not a technician so do not trust what I say.

The screenshot you show, similar to the one I posted weeks ago, is a classic of poor drivers: memory access on GPU does not offer any protection.

I used to get a lot of these when I started playing with linux and graphics configurations.

thistle

14. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

If it's a matter of a poorly coded driver, how come the other display remained fine?

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Repeat: I do not have any Truth. As I said, I only think it is a software problem. I would bet on it a maximum of 10 euro, nothing more.

Anyway, when using two monitors, graphics memory is split between the two. Corruption in one of the two parts does not affect the other.

I think that if it were a hardware problem, the entire screen (not just windows) would have been affected. And in both the monitors.

But you created a doubt in me. Were you in mirror mode?

thistle

16. rev316 macrumors regular

Had a similar issue. Depending if your warrantee is coming close, just have it looked at to be safe. (Do it through Apple!)

17. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

I was not in mirror mode. The main display was at 1440X900 and the second one at 1280X760 (or something similar).

You do have a point there, about the corruption of the entire screen vs. corruption of the active window. I guess it's reasonable to assume that a hardware malfunction would not be so neatly delineated.

18. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I am not sure whether or not in mirror mode the memory is split (I'd dare to say it isn't, in that case my previous messages would have been wrong).

But yes, in your case the memory was split and that explains why windows in one of the two monitors were fine.

thistle

19. Am3822 thread starter macrumors 6502

Am3822

20. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

21. gr8bob macrumors regular

22. deltaiscain macrumors regular

I've recently had a few graphic glitches. They occured randomly, and were only visible for about 0.25 seconds. Will it get much worse over time?

23. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Sweet...when is Apple gonna say something?

24. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

Lets hope they find it in their hearts to say anything at all =(

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

So Apple will probably put out a new EFI update to fix this?