MBP doesn't **** off = still within acceptable heat range?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winggx, Mar 10, 2011.

1. winggx macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook pro in 2009 fall...
    and i am satisfied with it so far but 1 thing...
    when I video call with someone (skype), the fan kicks in and make a lots of noise..
    I understand that as long as the computer doesn't shut off, then it is fine...
    but i use skype to video chat for 8+ hours a day...
    isn't it bad for the MBP to have the fan always spinning at high speed?

i just don't understand why mac will run that hot with skype, while pc can handle video chat in skype better?

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The MBPs have always run hot from what I understand. You can do one of several things (or a combination)

1. re-do thermal paste on CPU
    2. Use SMCFanControl to monitor fan speed and set a higher default
    3. Buy a laptop cooling pad
    4. ???
    5. profit

3. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

This exactly. If it ain't going over 105C, deal with it.

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

You would think with all the extra money Apple gets from overcharging for their products they could have found a way to stop their laptops from doubling as furnaces but apparently not.

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

How about you show me a laptop with the same or better dimensions/spec's as the MBP that runs cooler. Good luck, you'll need it.

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

Let's also not overlook the terrible OSX Skype client.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

simply Skype uses a lot of CPU load for video calling. MacBooks can operate at that temperature fine, but it will shut off if too hot like you said. The casing is aluminium and so is a heat conductor which makes them feel hotter.

use a fan app or cooler pad as murdercitydevil suggested, i don't recommend reapplying the paste unless you've done it before.

8. iZero macrumors regular

+1. Anything high performance like that, produces heat. Except maybe a desktop gaming rig with liquid cooling and all that. And good luck to any manufacturer getting that into a little laptop. Simple fact is, if you buy/build a Windows machine of equal performance and quality of construction (and they do exist) they are just as expensive, and often much more expensive (very often). And they have nowhere near the customer care level of Apple. You don't overpay. If anything considering the whole picture and all that you get, you pay a little less than they could fairly ask. They are an expensive investment to be sure, I wish they cost less. But it's not unfair.

These machines get warm, especially if doing things processor intensive like Skype. But they are by no means unsafe to themselves or the user. If it gets warm enough to worry you, take it to Apple. You're covered with a warranty, that's what it's for.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

These laptop temps are really an eye opener compared to desktops. Go to overclock.net and see what temps guys are running with a desktop i7 chip at over 4GHz. They freak out if it goes much over 80 degrees and that is with the cpu stressed.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 People never understand that fans running does not equal over heating. Fans running means the computer is doing what its supposed to and cooling the laptop. Apple is great at keeping their laptops cool (the back vent that lets all kinds of air out, the aluminum design that acts as a heat sink).

Op there is nothing wrong with the fans running. Generally macs are silent because they naturally run cool so people panic when they hear the fans run. If your computer doesn't shut off you are fine.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Macbooks generally run cool?

12. apd macrumors member

Yes but they need to keep them cool because if the temp rises, the chip fries because of the overclocking

13. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

They keep them cool so they can overclock higher. Not many would overclock and keep the chip at 95+ degress for normal use. The chip fries because of the heat, and overclocking does generate more heat. My point was that I find 90+ temps to be high, maybe all laptops are like this, I really don't know. Obviously a desktop is easier to cool. Those guys would freak at a stock chip at 90+ degrees. If you really want to read about some sick overclocking, check out xtremesystems.org and read about the dry ice and liquid nitrogen cooling!

I would think that Apple feels that these temps are fine and will not hurt the longevity of the chip, but cooler is better, IMHO. Again, maybe it is normal for laptops to generate these temps. But it does look like properly applying the thermal paste is bringing down temps for those members who have done it.

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yep. If you compare machines that run the same hardware as a Mac you'll see the Mac runs cooler.

15. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

????

What does "MBP doesn't **** off" mean?

If you are on Skype 8+ hours a day, do you have a job? or go to school?

It seems that you should be doing more interaction with people in the real world.

16. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'd like to see a link to that. It seems that everyone here always says that Macs are notorious for running hot, especially prior generations.

17. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

18. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I'm sure you can back this up with proof right? :rolleyes:

19. shansoft macrumors 6502

I end up with same issue here..

I was video calling a friend of mine, and the fan kicks in within 30 second.

The temp is 87c-90c while the fan is nearly running at its max speed, around 5200-6000RPM.

It's extremely loud and frustrating.

There is a same spec with better GPU from HP's dv6t QE, it does not even run this loud when I do a video call. Not the same height, but you get the idea...

The MBP design really need another vent to take in the cool air. It's horrible to be honest. I am surprise they don't even bother to redesign this crap.

20. brentsg macrumors 68040

Skype 5 is a horribly coded piece of junk on OSX. There is quite a lot of discussion around this if you Google.

21. mediasorcerer macrumors regular

just switch to face time,problem solved,skype or any video makes macs run hot ive found,

22. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Desktop CPUs have a lower heat tolerance then Notebook CPUs. Generally, a desktop CPU can only have a temperature up to ~80 deg C while the Notebook has a temperature range of up to 105 deg C Tj.

That's a pretty big difference. Then again, notebook CPUs uses 2-3x less wattage draw then desktop CPUs, but they're also smaller due to a single die vs the desktop's IHS ontop of the die.

23. shansoft macrumors 6502

smaller die->lower power usage->temperatures are lower.

And NO. Desktop CPU IS NOT lower heat tolerance, that is a complete none-sense. It's more like the opposite.

Desktop CPU can go over 80c easily without crash, it usually crash around 100-105c, which is the exact the same as laptop.

Keep in high temp will only damage it...

24. topocalypse macrumors member

my macbook pro runs at 80c maxing out fan speed when i do intense stuff. its fine, just a lil annoying. not big deal man, just make sure you put in on a flat surface. it ll be hot but not overheating

25. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

They charge much more because you are not only getting the hardware; you are getting OSX too.