MBP feeling very hot - are these temperature readings ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mogzieee, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mogzieee macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, my MacBook Pro is getting very warm on it's belly and i'm wondering if it's too hot.

Attached is the temperatures in celsius from iStat pro:

[​IMG]

What do you reckon? Too hot? :confused:

In the past 10 minutes i've been doing some video rendering in Final Cut and browsing in Firefox.

Many thanks

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

All are well within specs and are typical, if not actually cooler than I'd expect.

3. Whits macrumors member

I think you'll be alright… These are normal temps for me:

[​IMG]

(edit: oops, fahrenheit/celsius difference.)

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You must be in degrees F, which puts you about the same temp range as the OP.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It is hotter then my Macbook, but cooler then my Mac Pro. I'd say it's ok. I might try and keep if off softer surfaces like the couch and such, but you should be alright.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

the fans are running pretty fast. could just be that you were rendering like you said. what are your temps when you first start up/wake from sleep?

i also see that you are running on the 9600. that also causes the computer to run hotter right off the bat.

8. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

You fan speeds look low for the temp that it's at.

9. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Your Temps look fine... - they actually seem to be *slightly* low for the video editing you were doing... but i guess the credit goes to your fans cranking up like that :)

anyways, what i think freaks out most people is that the Macbook Pro fans are whisper-silent... and then the unibody seems to heat up... and they get a tad bid paranoid... :eek:

Just kidding hahha :D your temps are fine!

10. emt1 macrumors 65816

11. mogzieee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for the response.

These are the temps after a night's sleep:

[​IMG]

Much lower so I'm happy. :)

12. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

system temp

Here is my system, activity after 2 hours of watching a DVD.

Not sure why its so small.....promise you it is normally bigger!
    Anyone know how I can make it bigger?

Attached Files:

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

when you dont need the higher performance graphics card i recommend switching the the lower end one. it allows your computer to run cooler.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm not trying to be facetious or a jerk or anything, but out of curiousity, why do you mind?

15. emt1 macrumors 65816

Because it doesn't make sense if people are using two different units because you can't compare without converting. Personally, I wish the fahrenheit scale would just be banned. It's... well... stupid, for lack of a better word.

16. James Cole macrumors 6502

Yes its normal... actually mbp are a bit hot out of the box... then they start to get cooler over time.

17. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Just because you aren't able to make the conversion doesn't mean no one else can. It's actually pretty simple. Perhaps learning the conversion would be a better use of your time than bashing something you don't understand and/or don't like. Fahrenheit, Celsius; inches, centimeters; lbs, kgs; mph, kph ... what's the difference? Learn some tolerance and stop complaining. Now to return us to the original topic of this post ...

Mogzieee:

+1 on your temps looking normal. Mine tends to run a bit cooler than that but I rarely do any heavy graphics stuff like you're describing and when I do, I usually have it sitting on a cool mat (just an angled platform with two small fans I can switch on). Having said that, I've gotten it pretty close to your readings on occasion by multitasking (specifically iTunes music, word processing, and running Safari) & keeping all tasks pretty busy and especially when it wasn't on the cooling mat, it would get real close.

If you want to feel what hot really is :), sit your MBP next to a PC laptop and run the same task(s) on them side by side. Assuming the PC is capable of getting this far, touch them both (or measure) just before the PC crashes. ;) Now THAT'S hot! :D

18. emt1 macrumors 65816

I have the conversion formulas memorized for pretty much every unit of temperature, mass, length and energy. So I believe that I, of all people, have the right to say its crazy to use Fahrenheit when the standard is Celsius... at least as far as computer temperatures is concerned. It should be the standard for everything though.

19. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

Well congratulations on your "right." Go on out and change the world!

On a less sarcastic note, I would agree with the notion that a world-wide standard for all measurements would be nice, but I'm realistic enough to realize that that's just not the way the world is. We're all different in so many ways and thank goodness for that. If the conversions were truly that easy for you, I would expect you to be a little more accepting. You seem to be the only one on this thread who has a problem with people using their native forms of measurement.

20. emt1 macrumors 65816

I just like efficiency. I'm also probably bitter after having to learn all of those conversions for chemistry exams when they are easily done on Google. I'm especially bitters towards the Fahrenheit scale, because it's just dumb. It's based on the temperature of a mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride. I mean really. Who does that?

Celsius would actually be more of a compromise for me. Kelvin makes the most sense, but who wants to hear that tomorrow's high temperature is forecasted to be 297K? :D

Sorry. I'm over it.

21. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Okay, so you have the formulas memorized, so you, of all people, have a right to say what's crazy.

It takes me about a year to a year and a half to work my way through one standard sized passport. In fact, these days, I carry several passports so I can gain access to different countries, because some countries have funny rules. US State Dept doesn't even charge me for the extras. In the past three years, I've worked in over twenty countries on four continents, Imperial, metric, oddball native measuring systems with people using odd mixtures. On any given assignment, my teammates usually all originate from different countries. In fact, I was once on a team where EVERY member of the team spoke at least 3 languages and between the team, we didn't have a SINGLE language we had in common. You have any idea what a pain in the ass it is when you're trying to stop a measles outbreak and you have to repeat yourself three times in different, just to be understood by everyone? Better yet, try putting together a chlorinated water system in a refugee camp during a hepE outbreak and half the pipes and tanks are in imperial and your tools are in metric.

You know what I think? I don't think it really matters. OTOH, you've got conversion formulas memorize....

22. Shivetya macrumors 65816

just how hot should my 2.4 9600gt mbp get?

I have seen the graphics chips hit 150F... probably higher but I have yet to find a temp monitor I like

23. DYER macrumors 6502

Mate that is fine. mine idles at that most of the time and hits 90C through the board when I use premiere or cod4 ^^

24. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

U don't like the iStat widget?!? I hit 150F when watching Hulu videos, etc that's fine...

Cheers.

-J.-