Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
Hi im thinking of buying a MBP with this configuration:

2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

but i have a couple of questions.

i need to use this both on the go (less often)
and as a desktop (more often)

so heres my questions:
should i buy an external display for when its a desktop? (i will be using bluetooth mouse and keyboard)

should i get the 15 or 17 inch? (sort of depends on 1st question, but also the mobilility is 17" too big as a real on the go laptop?)

is it possible to get a bluetooth dvi dongle for a screen? (so i wouldnt have to plug anything in when its a desktop?)

thanks for any help :)

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Is there even such a thing as a bluetooth dvi dongle for LCD screens?:confused:

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
The MBP can work fine as a desktop replacement, just depends on what you are actually using it for. Many people are fine carrying around the 17", others think it is too big. Depending on how much screen realestate you need, I might recommend the 15" with a Dell 24" LCD.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
He is just saying he will be using bluetooth keyboard and mouse when using MBP as desktop

No offense, but did you even bother reading the OP's questions?

is it possible to get a bluetooth dvi dongle for a screen? (so i wouldnt have to plug anything in when its a desktop?)

I guess I could see the usefulness in having nothing attached to your MBP and being able to utilize an external monitor. Although I doubt the bluetooth standard would be able to accomodate the transfer.

RojoLeo

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2007
Austin, TX
The MBP can work fine as a desktop replacement, just depends on what you are actually using it for. Many people are fine carrying around the 17", others think it is too big. Depending on how much screen realestate you need, I might recommend the 15" with a Dell 24" LCD.

This is exactly what I'll be doing. I bought my MBP about a month ago (EXACT same specs as the OP listed) and will be purchasing a 24" screen in the next few weeks.

I turned my old desktop into a server and haven't looked back. I was sick of using multiple servers and dividing tasks among computers based on the intensity. This 15" is my desktop replacement, and with an external monitor it's perfect.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
You don't need a bluetooth dongle - bluetooth is built into the MBP (and have never heard of bluetooth DVI ????)

If you are using an external monitor, it may be reasonable to simply go with the 15 to increase portability. If you are using this as a desktop replacement I would highly recommend an external.

You will have to plug things in to the computer: DVI from the monitor, then any USB or Firewire peripherals (if you have any). Apple's ACDs can act as a hub (2 USB & 2 Firewire port on the back of the monitor, and have a 3 prong cable going to your MBP (DVI, USB, FW).

Unless you need serious power, this configuration will perform exceptionally well as a desktop replacement.

GanleyBurger

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
Hardrive

Remember, the MBP hard drive speed is...

17" model (2.33 C2D processor)
7200 RPM for the 100 gig (fastest)
5400 RPM fot the 160 gig
4200 RPM for the 200 gig

15" model (2.33 C2D processor)
5400 RPM for the 120 gig
5400 RPM fot the 160 gig
4200 RPM for the 200 gig

The difference in hard drive speed between 7200 rpm and 5400 rpm could be significant depending on your needs, programs. There are like 16 gig flash memory cards now that will fit into the mobile card slot (about $200) to add a little to storage. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/04/03/transcend_touts_expresscard_disk/

Food for thought.:)

kiang

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
Ok thanks. So im thinking the 15" with those specs i posted above with a 23" or 30" ACD if thats possible?

yup, you can use the 30" models on every pro-model, they only don't work properly with the mac mini and B&W MacBooks

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
i need to use this both on the go (less often)
and as a desktop (more often)

Check out what you pay for a MacBook (not MacBook Pro), decent amount of RAM, 500 GB external disk, external keyboard and mouse, and a nice 20 or 23/24 inch monitor. The MacBook is much nicer for carrying around, and the external disk + monitor make it a better desktop system.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Check out what you pay for a MacBook (not MacBook Pro), decent amount of RAM, 500 GB external disk, external keyboard and mouse, and a nice 20 or 23/24 inch monitor. The MacBook is much nicer for carrying around, and the external disk + monitor make it a better desktop system.

yar but i want to plug in the least amout possible although i guess i could plug external drives into the hub on the apple screen?

with the thirty inch screens it says you need a dual link dvi? is that two cables then?

also wireless screen wise i found this http://www.alibaba.com/catalog/11146180/Wireless_DVI_Dongle.html , but it is over wifi so i still have to plug summat in so defeats the purpose for me.

also what is the cable like that connects the display to the macbook pro? is it one cable into display which splits into three that connect to the computer?

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Same Boat

I'm in the same boat as you. My current plan is:

15" MBP (I'll max out the RAM and HD)
23" ACD
Wireless Keyboard + Mouse

I think the smaller screen size on the MBP helps portability; so, no 17" for me.

Given that you will primarily using this in a desktop configuration why are you concerned about having two cables plugged (monitor + power)?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
My setup is pretty much what you're planning: MBP with 23" ACD and BT keyboard/mouse for use when I'm at my desk. It works really well: I do find that if I'm only going to be working for a short time I don't bother plugging in the external display, but it's great for long sessions or for photo/video work.

The ACD connects to your MBP with 3 connectors - firewire, DVI and USB2. It only takes a few seconds to connect/disconnect. The ACD has a FW and USB2 hub in it: also, the cables carry control info to/from the display so things like the power button on the screen shutting down your laptop won't funcion if you don't plug the cables in (according to a post on here - never tried it myself!).

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
Dual link DVI does not mean two cables, it is only one.

Here's some info I found.

"WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2048 x 1536. "

So whats it is saying is that the dual link uses two transmitters but one cable. Its just a ways to fit more information into the one cable to drive higher displays.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Dual link DVI does not mean two cables, it is only one.

Here's some info I found.

"WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2048 x 1536. "

So whats it is saying is that the dual link uses two transmitters but one cable. Its just a ways to fit more information into the one cable to drive higher displays.

ok thanks alot for that!

The spec im now gna buy is:

MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
3GB 667 DDR2 - 1x2GB, 1x1GB SO-DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)
SuperDrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

total cost = £3,024.45 (with education discount)

reccomend buying now or waiting for new displays?

one more quick question before i save up some more money,
what is better for graphic and web design, matte or glossy? which one will show more 'true' colour? - also an issue does glossy scratch more easily?

thanks again for all this great help :)

p.s. if any one is intrested im selling my mac mini.
1.83Ghz Core duo - 80gb Hardrive - Superdrive - bluetooth & wi-fi - 1gb ram
for £480 (its less than 80 days old)

thnx

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
"The spec im now gna buy is:

Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)"

Thats a sweet set up! Enjoy. When did Apple drop the 7200RPM HD as an option from the 15" MBP?

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007

Thats a sweet set up! Enjoy. When did Apple drop the 7200RPM HD as an option from the 15" MBP?

they havent its a 5400rpm hard drive. that is what i wrote...

tehdee

macrumors member
May 7, 2006

:eek:

your future set-up is a dream.

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
:eek:

your future set-up is a dream.

fankoo :D - i think im gna have to wait till october for my 18th birthday to get this, i did some maths and i can only get £2200..so i guess i could comprimise or wait. and i dont like to comprimise on performance as i know ill only want more in a couple of months and spend more money nehu.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
fankoo :D - i think im gna have to wait till october for my 18th birthday to get this, i did some maths and i can only get £2200..so i guess i could comprimise or wait. and i dont like to comprimise on performance as i know ill only want more in a couple of months and spend more money nehu.

yeah, waiting would be the right thing to do. you should get Leopard by then and hopefully a hardware upgrade ....... but the waiting will be hard (at least for me)

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
I know yours is a 5400RPM HD. I have a 15" MBP with a 100GB 7200RPM HD that I BTO from Apple. Can you still get the 7200RPM HD on the 15" MBP? I was wondering if they got rid of the option of the 7200RPM HD on the 15".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.