MBP functionality frozen, performance ground to halt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamois, Dec 30, 2010.

1. jamois macrumors newbie

15" MBP never a problem. Purchased 1 yr ago. Suddenly nothing works. Mouse and trackpad work but when I click on anything it either a) doesn't respond b) allows a click but doesn't execute the action or c) does execute but after a huge delay, say 20 mins+. I get the spinning beach ball on everything. It's like a PC style virus that has sapped all the internal memory. I have switched it off and on via the power button multiple times but it takes a good 20-30 mins to reboot. Announces that application x e.g. Skype has shut down unexpectedly but it doesn't improve speed or change anything. I have tried to shut down via the apple menu: the drop down comes up after 5 mins but when i click on shutdown nothing happens. Worried about some virus having been doing some downloads on bittorrent if at all relevant. And to cap it all I am in the jungle in costa rica with no chance of going to someone to help! Can anyone out there help me?!!!!! Thankin you...

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sounds like the hard drive is about to go. Hopefully you have a backup. If you don't, back it up before the hard drive completely gives out.