MBP - Glossy or Anti-Glare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fulhamrback, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Fulhamrback macrumors newbie

I am just about to take the plunge and purchase a 15" MBP, but need some advice about the screen. I will deffo get the hi res but am not sure whether to go GLOSSY or ANTI GLARE. Went to my local Apple store today to see the different screens first hand. The first thing I noticed was how much reflection there was on the glossy screen (although the lighting in the store is very different from normal household lighting). the anti glare certainly did not have the same problem , but i could not help but notice the silver edging around the screen and felt this really ruined the beauty of the MBP. I intend to use the MBP indoors mainly with the odd foray out in the open and wont be doing anything other than normal web surfing i tunes and movie watching, so what is the best screen and why ?

2. Fulhamrback thread starter macrumors newbie

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the link in my signature.

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

110% definitely AG. it is **SOOO** much better, plus the silver bezel looks glassy and ... different from everyone elses.

6. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

I'll go ahead and presume you mean classy...

As someone who has a glossy screen: definitely get the AG.

7. ljx718 macrumors 6502

i dont think he should listen to anyone of us. he should go to an apple store and check.

8. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I went with the antiglare, and I can't imagine it any other way now. The extra screen real estate is worth the price, even if it's "just in case". In my case, I use a marching band drill design program that benefits from the extra pixels. Also, the high res is closer to 1080p than the regular display, but as I'm sure you saw in the store, they are both very nice displays.

9. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

Its really personal , but I went with the glossy and I am loving it. I dont have a lot of real-life situations where I notice any severe glare or something.

It works beatifully.

10. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

AG FTW, I can use my MacBook with backlight off in bright sunlight!

11. CBAviator macrumors 6502

No kidding. I second this opinion whole-heartedly. There should be an automatic "delete" function set up when threads about "glossy vs anti-glare what is better?" are started these days! (Just joking, especially since the OP didn't know about the search function, but wow...no wonder Macrumors reached a million threads so quickly!).

12. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

As someone who has a glossy screen: definitely get the glossy. :)

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This is exactly why it's useless to post these kinds of threads. The answer to the question is purely a matter of personal opinion, and the only opinion that counts is the buyer's opinion. Go to the Apple store and check them out personally. Then decide, and forget what anyone else says. There are dozens, if not hundreds of these threads and they all have the same people making the same arguments. Those who love glossy are not going to change their minds because of something someone says in a forum. The same is true for those who prefer anti-glare. It's a debate with no end, because there IS no right answer.... only what's right for you.

14. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I love the look of the bezel on a MBP. I guess it's because I had a PowerBook G4 prior to my MBP. For me, the AG display is perfect. Reduces glare, colors are more accurate and I simply don't have to worry about finding a good spot in a room to work.

I was once working on my MBP with a window behind me. Someone opened the shades and the sunny San Diego sun didn't even faze me. In fact, backlighting actually helps!

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

trust me go with anti-glare. you would think that its pointless but it really does help.

16. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I think about it like this...

I use my MacBook Pro usually hooked up to a Glossy display when I am working or at home at my desk, when I am on the go (using the MacBook's display) I am usually out at places or around in area where the sun may sometimes shine. That is why I did and always will choose Antiglare. Good luck :apple:

17. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

Got the AG option on my new Hi-Res i7 MBP. Glad I did on the chance that I want to use it outside. Glare can be a real issue on the glossy screens when they are used outside.

18. uncletoby macrumors newbie

I just got my 15" i7 MBP today, with the anti-glare screen.

All I have to say is -- wow. WOW.

It's beautiful, it is INCREDIBLY BRIGHT (my 2008 MB isn't even half as bright at its highest setting) and it is 100% useable outside on a sunny day in the shade.

This screen is marvelous (as is this machine) -- no question, go matte!

(Also, I was afraid of the bigger screen overwhelming me, I already love it.)

19. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Get the Anti-Glare it will prove to be more useful then Glossy

20. Dyne macrumors member

I love glossy screens, but that's just me. :) I have a glossy HDTV and monitor, and love em'. I think this is more of a personal preference thing though; if you're going to be using the MacBook outdoors a lot, it probably makes a lot of sense to go for the Anti-Glare.

21. MIKE666 macrumors regular

mate its personal preference, you can get used to either and both have pros and cons.

have a look through the other threads and see whether matte or glossy fits what you use the laptop for.

im a matte person, the reflections really annoy me but its probably just because i have used matte all my life.:)

22. Baral macrumors member

What a lot of people fail to mention in this "debate" is that the anti-glare matte screen is significantly easier on your eyes. If you stare at your computer for hours every day, I can't imagine not getting the matte screen. Glossy would not be a wise decision.

Just putting that out there.

23. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

On every internet forum I belong to, and I belong to a lot of them, there's always somebody that complains about the multiple threads on the same topic - and that same person will also throw up several links to previous threads just like you have. The fact of the matter is, everybody has a different personality and everybody will have a differing opinion based on their experiences and the perspective they're coming from. I just think it's funny as hell that there's an Ebinezer Scrooge on every single forum I've ever visited. :D

24. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

I'd completely reccomend going to an Apple Store and comparing the two, then make your decision as to which you like more. It'll surely be more useful than hearing our preference. :apple: